Author Topic: Wood finish  (Read 416 times)

Offline jimbobb55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Wood finish
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
What kind of wood are handi stocks made from and what would be the best stain & finish.

Offline JB White

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Wood finish
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
I heard it was a birch, but mine looks and behaves more like Larch. Not sure about the true type of wood because I didn't look it up to match it against anything.
 Being a fan of older guns I chose a BLO finish over my own mixture of analine dye. 2:1 Brown cut with DA and tinted with red.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
After sanding I have been told by wood workers that the wood is Birch.  I refinished that stock with untinted Linseed Oil.  Kind of like the light wood color myself. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
I can about guarantee its BOTH and NEITHER... at times. ;)

Its a hard wood, doesn't take stain great, some work required to make it nice but many members have discovered very nice finishes with a myriad of stock finishes. Take your time and like most things the "devil" is in the details. So spend the time in the prep and you will be rewarded with a finely finished stock.

I have used linspeed for over thirty years. But linseed is good albeit slower. More recently I have been using tongue oil with good results. The secrete is light coats and numerous coats at that! Sanding/steel wool in between coats. Matte finishes are easy too with 0000 wool after allowing a couple days for a good hard finish.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »
Linseed oil doesn't do much for protecting a stock. For Linseed oil to be effective you must use wax on top of it.  I think from the factory they use a stain mixed in the finish.  If you ever stripped one you would notice the wood isn't tinted, but the color comes off with the finish.  There is a polyurethane finish with the stain mixed in at Lowes.  I've been thinking about trying that.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:33:16 AM »
I gotta tell ya I have two linseed stocks finished a long time ago that are still a hi gloss. They have been so for over fourty years. That would would not be better protested locked away in fort Knox. ;)

It's gonna depend on your application and prep. Just a coat or two I agree poly will be better. But I have yet to see as quality a finish from poly. I don't know how many coats they have but I know it's more than a few! ::)

Try the poly, it will work I am sure. Personally I like the depth and warmth of linseed and tounge oils. They do require more work but like all things worth while, there offer rewards.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 03:07:57 AM »
I prefer pure Tung Oil but spray polyurethane works as well and I have used both. The stocks do not take oil based stain well and water based stain is a pain to use. I have used a combination of the two types of stains, one water based to get the darkness I prefer and a second coat of oil based stain to get close to the color I wanted. Experimentation is your friend, have fun and enjoy it....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
I like blondes so I like to use BLO probably 4 or 5 coats leeting each one dry completeley and using 0000 steel wool between each coat. Then I put 4 to 5 coats of poly on to seal it. Here's one I did that way.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga