Author Topic: New to handgun loading, need help.  (Read 708 times)

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
New to handgun loading, need help.
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
I have been loading for rifles for about a year or so, but am now starting to handload for my handgun.  I have a Ruger GP-100 .357 mag. Starting out with 38 special loads, and am curious how to select a powder charge.  I have reloading manuals, but the difference between the min and max loads are quite small (in some cases, only 0.4 grains). 

For the rifle cartridges I handload, I tried 4-5 different powder charges and settled on the most accurate load.  With such a small difference between min and max loads for the 38 special, is this even feasible?  I currently have a bunch of cases prepped and primed, but I am a bit hesitant to start charging them without a bit more direction.

What do you guys do as far as working up a handgun load?  Do you pick something in the middle and load up a bunch, or do you load up groups of cartidges with a powder variation of 0.1 grain?

Thanks for the info.

Tim

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: New to handgun loading, need help.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »
I usually start with a load slightly above the starting charge and work up.
My 6" GP 100 likes bullets in the 180 gr range but does well with cast 158 gr SWC.
With the 158s I use Unique powder it does well with cast bullets. My loads are under max and are accurate and comfortable to shoot.
My hunting load is a Beartooth 185g WLN GC over a dose of AA#9  not quite a max charge but very accurate. It does have good thump but not unmanageable.
When using 38s in 357 max loads should be fine the cases are the same except for length and GP 100 will more than handle it.
That being said it is still best to always start with a reduced load and work up. Never shortcut the safety procedures.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
Very interesting question, tcoggins.  Since most of my handguns have fixed sights, I usually will start with the starting load & work up in .5gr steps..sometimes less..as you pointed out there isn't much of a loading range with these fast burn powders and small cases.  I sometimes have to do quite a bit of playing with powder charges and/or bullet weights to get them to shoot to the sights.
  In an original .32-20WCF Colt Bisley (1903), I was using home-cast Lyman 311008, 100grs. with the fairly soft range scrap lead I was using.  Start loads didn't group too well, mid-range loads..and these were taken from an older Lyman manual started printing to sights & were cutting one ragged hole!  Sometimes I get lucky!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:04:07 PM »
For snub nosed 38 Special & 357 Mag. loads I started near the top & left it there because accuracy was quite satisfactory.

Offline shot1

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:49:41 AM »
Here is a little tip that I picked up on many years ago. If you are using jacketed bullets go to the Sierra loading manual and they list Accuracy and Hunting loads for the bullet weight you want to use. They are spot on most of the time. Saves a lot of time and money.  ;D I have found that the middle of the road charges given in my Speer #10 manual are very accurate in most 38 special loads. With 158 jacketed 4.3 grs Bullseye is great. With 158 lead 4 grs Bullseye or 4.5 grs Unique have always been accurate for me in about any revolver. In 357 mag loads the Hunting load out of the Sierra IV edition for 158 gr Jacketed is powerful and accurate. It is 16.3 grs H-110 and use a mag primer. For a target load in the 357 mag with 158 lead bullets 4.8 grs Bullseye is very accurate and runs a little over 900 fps in a 6" barrel. This is a max load listed in the Speer #10 manual. For heavy bullet hunting loads 180 gr Hornady XTP the max load of 13.5 grs H-110 from the Hodgdon manual is very accurate and kills deer well.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 03:24:42 AM »
 I too load for .38 and .357. The .38's are primarily for practice/plinking, so I don't worry too much about group size or velocity. My load of choice is 3.0 gr of Bullseye underneath a 158 gr cast RNFP.
 For the .357 I use 13.5 gr AA#9 with the same bullet. I've tried this powder with charges between 11.5 & 15 gr with no noticable changes in accuracy, but then again, I was shooting off-hand so small differences wouldn't have been noticable. 13.5 gr gets me about 1600 FPS out of my 1894c, which is about the same as a factory load. It also allows me to get 500 rounds out of a pound of powder, which I find real convenient. Most importantly it shoots well.
 For me long range accuracy isn't an issue since all of my shooting is at 50 yards or less, you're situation might be different. Other than that, the process of working up a load is the same as a rifle, the only difference is the size of the powder charge.
 Lotsa folks like 2400, 110/296, and 'Lil Gun for the .357. I use #9 because it allows me to use a standard primer as opposed to a magnum primer. For the .38 it's tough to beat Bullseye.
Good luck with your reloading, be sure to post your results.
GH1 :)

I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:13:46 AM »
I load for alot of different handgun rounds and my loads find there way into a lot of different guns. Over the years I have went to mainly 2 different loads for each caliber. A plinking load with Bullseye powder and a cast bullet, and a high powder load with a JHP bullet and Win 296 powder. ( H-110 is the same powder as 296). With a 140 to 158 gr. cast bullet with Bullseye powder and charge between 2 grs. and 3.2 grs. will work well. I usually stick around 3 gr. because I like to shoot 50 to 100 yrds. targets. I also use mag. primers to make sure I get good ignition with the small ampunt of powder in the case. I like the 296-110 powder because it gives you higher velocitys at lower presures than other pistole powders. It also has been produced accurate loads in most all of the handguns I`ve shot it in.

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I just want to get as much info as I can before diving into this.

Another question I have is, the Hodgdon data lists Titegroup for use with 158 grain Hornady XTP bullets, but not for other jacketed bullets.  Is there something special about the XTP's versus other jacketed bullets, or can I use the Titegroup data for other jacketed 158 grain bullets?

Thanks.

Tim

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:24:52 AM »
the XTP is what they tested..I would be comfortable using that data for other jacket bullets in that weight.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »
For plinkiing and action pistol, I use "Bullseye" or "Promo" for .38/9mm/.40/.45. Not because it's the best choice, but because I likely have a lifetime supply. Either one of the above, or "Unique" will work well in that role, along with a dozen or so of the newer powders with comparable burn rates. For off hand shooting I have not found accuracy to be an issue with any of my guns with these loads. I load to make power factor for IDPA/UPSA. As long as the gun/load is capable of "A" zone hits at 35yds, I'm happy. For full power loads in .44mag/10mm/.45colt/.357, I use either "H110" or "Blue Dot". Reasonable pressures at good velocities and plenty accurate. If I had to narrow my choices down to two pistol powders, guess I'd go with "Red Dot" and "H110".
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 06:18:22 AM »
Another often overlooked powder that works great in .38 Special is IMR PB. I get the best accuracy with this powder in my Ruger LCR under the 158 grain LSWC.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Another often overlooked powder that works great in .38 Special is IMR PB. I get the best accuracy with this powder in my Ruger LCR under the 158 grain LSWC.
My father used PB as a motivator for many Pb loadings. ::)

I still use it today myself in a light 32-20 pistol loads. Moves a 115G soft cast lead (The symbol Pb stands for lead, in chase you missed my pun) slugs accurately and cleanly.

PB is a old powder sold in 6 or 8OZ cans as it was considered a bulky (er) powder. Mine are Brown and labeled IMR and DuPont. so I dont use allot of it. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.