Author Topic: ain't it nice whenya only shoot 4 times to site in...  (Read 419 times)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
ain't it nice whenya only shoot 4 times to site in...
« on: December 23, 2011, 05:19:33 AM »
just gotta 45/70 trapper for my son (j2) for christmas.  shhhhhh !!!
he wanted one jus like mine so i got it from a member here and installed tha camo syn's,
2x7-vxII leupold and rings ona numrich shorty rail.

it took 4 to make this.....2 for group and 2 for tha zone @ 100yrds with my handloads.
with elevation adjustment, its close to tha same @ 50  ;D

now its time to getter bloody 8)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: ain't it nice whenya only shoot 4 times to site in...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:40 AM »
Isn't life grand when it's so easy?  But then again you only got to shoot it four times. ;)
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »
Almost like cheatin', ain't it?  I set one up for my son in law to use a while back, with the factory iron sights.  Had never used them.  First shot at 50 was center and 2" high.  Second one touched it.  And I'm about blind.

The 45-70 is one of those "majic" calibers I can't seem to miss with.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »

That is sweet when it comes together that way.
A short while ago, Patty got her 7mm-08 back from H&R with a 20 inch light barrel.  Brian56 did the work......very well.  The first shot was outside to the right.  She said "Wow is that a nice trigger"  She was taking up slack and punched the hole.  She was ready for the rest of them.

To say she and her rifle shoot is an understatement.  I've got the same barrel on the way back from H&R right now.  I can only hope to do as well with mine.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
Good story!!

Some years ago I had a simular experience with another 45/70.  I had bought a very nice Browning HI Wall hunter in 45/70. I headed to the range. But it was close to big game opener and the range was packed!  I waited about a half hour and did not see anyone leave.... So I decided to walk the line to see if anyone was close to finished. Near the end I ran into a very good friend. He admired my new gun anf offered a couple shots at his 100yard target. Now I had not ever shot the gun before and worl have rather shot it at something close first, but I said OK and leaned against the post and loaded up a round. No scope on this one... I lined up and fired and repeated three more times...

Needless to say, I was very impressed... Sited in right out of the box!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 02:25:13 AM »
I have found that making sure that the mounts and rings are tight and using a quality scope sure helps in getting a gun sighted in quickly. Of course the repeatability of the rifle does not hurt anything either. I am not sure if it the confidence factor (which is huge) or the quality of the optics, but it always seems to go well when you use a good scope. I know it sure makes you feel good and that confidence factor goes way up ;) Nice shooting!

Good Luck and continued Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.