Author Topic: S&W M&P AR15  (Read 972 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
S&W M&P AR15
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:03:40 AM »
Anyone have a S&W M&P AR15?   Tell us about it.  I'm looking at getting into an AR platform and see that the S&W seem very reasonably priced, are made in the good old USA and are backed by S&W's lifetime warranty. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: S&W M&P AR15
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
I have a couple of SW MP 15's .
- MP15T (tactical) full quad rail Model M&P15T - 5.56 mm, Tactical
-a standard AR , SW's version of an M4 ..Model M&P15 Rifle .
I also have a Colt SP 6940 M4 .
I'm a fan of the AR platform , enjoy shooting them but am no expert .
That said , I've put probably a couple thousand rounds thru each of the SW's and only a couple hundred thru my new Colt , non have failed in any way . I only use brass cases , havent and dont care to try steel cased ammo , even though many have no problems with steel cases ...I dont care for them.
The only difference between the ColtM4 and SW is the mag well. The SW appears to be beveled to some small degree, mags load in easier, other than that its all mil-spec .  I believe SW is a mix of Stag parts , not sure which components but regardless the quality is there.

Do some more research on here and some of the AR sites , but in my opinion you wont go wrong with a SW . Also buy now , that prices are back down from orbit before the next election madness kicks in and they go up again. I bought just prior to the last presidential election and easily paid a couple hundred bucks over the current retail price.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas .
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
I bought the M&P OR (optics-ready) version. Being me, I had to make some mods. The rifle is great as-is, but I added a Troy Quad Rail, Troy front and rear folding Battle Sights BUIS, and a Troy vertical forearm, and Eothech Holosight. I have run thousands of factory ball, HPs, and varmint ammo, plus another several thousand reloads through it with absolutely zero malfunctions. The accuracy is great, and would be better if I had magnification. I am very impressed with the overall quality and accuracy from the M&P line. They are Smith and Wesson after all..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:22 AM »
Anyone have a S&W M&P AR15?   Tell us about it.  I'm looking at getting into an AR platform and see that the S&W seem very reasonably priced, are made in the good old USA and are backed by S&W's lifetime warranty.

I have a lower reciver it is OK. I added a DPMS lower parts kit. The area where its blocked so M16 parts won't fit is a bit different and tight getting parts in. The fences and other bolstered areas are different and didn't match a different brand reciver but worked well. A friend has a complete gun and likes it
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:56 AM »
I have one and am happy with it. Son-in-law has one and likes his also. 

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:01:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm hoping that S&W will have another promotion in the near future.  In the past they have offered your choice of cash back or free magazines with the purchase of any of the M&P line of weapons.   I took advantage of one of these promotions when I got my M&P .40 pistol.   

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
Dont wait too long , the $40 you'll save with a rebate wont offset the price increase that may happen toward end of year election...good luck.
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »
Unfortunately I have to take care of some other bills first.   Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Offline Concho Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:26 PM »
I bought SW's AR Sport and love it. Never used the the forward assist and it sits in the safe mostly so the dust cover seemed pointless too. Melonite barrel instead of chrome also. Comes with a P mag surprisingly. All those items left off kept the price at $650 locally.
The only problem is keeping it fed from all the over zealous mag dumps i've been doing.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
Hi Brett:

Look me up when you are ready you can PM me. I do have a S&W M&P OR in stock. Also check out the new Windham Weaponry AR15. They have some low prices as the new AR15 guys on the block. They are the old Bushmaster employees.

Regards PAH04
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com