Author Topic: Shotgun Adapters?  (Read 37047 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Shotgun Adaptors?
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
Yall have my attention on this topic. I had started another post before Tim directed me to this one.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Just thought I would add these adapters that I came across as they seem the best compromise between accuracy (albeit untried) and value that I have seen. 10" rifled steel inserts for $95. The chap seems very flexible and willing to make custom stuff. A 30-30 adapter in the Mod barrel of my 20ga SxS during deer/grouse overlap season does seem interesting and I must say the prospect of turning a 12ga sxs into a 45-70 double rifle for $200 does seem very enticing. I wonder if he would do a .454 adapter...
I have not thoght about this application for a SxS or O/U shotgun. This is really appealing to me.

I done it a few times with 45/70 adapters...

Well, they do go "bang" that's about as good as it gets.  Perhaps your expectations aren't as high as mine were/are?  I really loose patience fast with things are haflazz.

DM

Hmmm... tell me about the .45-70 adapter... I have a spanking new 20 gauge H&R that this would be nice in... especially if one could be had with some length to it.  Not sure it's practically any better than a slug at under, say 75 yards, anyway, but intriguing. Especially the idea of an on the fly double gun conversion.

Heck, in a double gun... leave on barrel smoothbore, adapter in the other...  sort of an on demand model 24 in any of several combinations.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2012, 04:26:07 AM »
You are not the first to think along this dbl.gun/24 line. The problem mostly seems to be getting any decent regulation, unless you are very lucky in a particular gun.
My untried solution is to have an 'eccentric' slip collar on the muzzle of the insert barrel c/w a set screw(S). One could rotate the collar 360deg. to 'tune in' point of impact, and even pairs of POI on a double. This would mean tuning to a particular gun first, before making and extractor set-up, unless you just go with a filed in groove at the breech to pop cases out with a small screwdriver.
Once regulated you would mark the insert for proper indexing next time and for L & R on a double.
My simpler solution to date has been to have the shotgun and a suitable sidearm.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
You are not the first to think along this dbl.gun/24 line. The problem mostly seems to be getting any decent regulation, unless you are very lucky in a particular gun.
My untried solution is to have an 'eccentric' slip collar on the muzzle of the insert barrel c/w a set screw(S). One could rotate the collar 360deg. to 'tune in' point of impact, and even pairs of POI on a double. This would mean tuning to a particular gun first, before making and extractor set-up, unless you just go with a filed in groove at the breech to pop cases out with a small screwdriver.
Once regulated you would mark the insert for proper indexing next time and for L & R on a double.
My simpler solution to date has been to have the shotgun and a suitable sidearm.

I hear that.  A decent sidearm doesn't weigh much... always ready to go.

My ignorance is going to show here... is regulation only an issue with SxS shotguns or do O/U's have regulation as well?

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »

My ignorance is going to show here... is regulation only an issue with SxS shotguns or do O/U's have regulation as well?

O/U are also regulated. For example, Trap barrels should be regulated to shoot 60% or more of their pattern high (so that you aren't blotting the bird when you shoot) whereas a Field gun should be regulated to shoot a flatter 50/50 type distribution - and then the two barrels are regulated for shot convergence (I believe the old standard was 35 yards, but I am not certain of that). I don't know that a double rifle is viable given the difficulties of trying to align inserts to regullate them for POI. But an O/U with an insert in the top barrel should be able to get somewhat consistent POI for POA and then be indexed as per gcrank's excellent suggestion.

MCA does not do a 45-70 insert for 20 ga and I can't imagine there is anyone who does. Given caliber, in order to get insert barrel and chamber thickness suitable for operation inside the much more lightly built shotgun receiver and barrel, 45 cal needss a 12ga.

My replacement 30-30 insert from MCA arrived last week and looks great. I have not yet had the chance to do so but hope to next weekend and will advise.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:18 AM »
If that new 30-30 insert just wont go where you are lookin' feel free to give that 'slip collar' idea a try (we're all in this together & Im pullin' for ya)  ;D
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
Thanks. I likely will not get a chance to shoot it until this weekend. We'll see how it shoots and then work from there. The crown on this one looks great!
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »
EAA makes a 12 ga. SxS system for turning it into a .45-70.  Have heard decent reviews on their performance, but the regulated crossing point is pretty close compared to a std. .45-70 double rifle.  It's $159 per barrel, so less expensive than a second gun though and for brush shooting, would be pretty cool.  ;)  Your SxS would have to have 20" barrels and screw in chokes like their model that these are made for.  It might require some fitting on the extractor as well.  ;)

http://www.eaacorp.com/parts-more-access-EAA-riflebarrel-inserts.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »

O/U are also regulated. For example, Trap barrels should be regulated to shoot 60% or more of their pattern high (so that you aren't blotting the bird when you shoot) whereas a Field gun should be regulated to shoot a flatter 50/50 type distribution - and then the two barrels are regulated for shot convergence (I believe the old standard was 35 yards, but I am not certain of that). I don't know that a double rifle is viable given the difficulties of trying to align inserts to regullate them for POI. But an O/U with an insert in the top barrel should be able to get somewhat consistent POI for POA and then be indexed as per gcrank's excellent suggestion.

MCA does not do a 45-70 insert for 20 ga and I can't imagine there is anyone who does. Given caliber, in order to get insert barrel and chamber thickness suitable for operation inside the much more lightly built shotgun receiver and barrel, 45 cal needss a 12ga.

My replacement 30-30 insert from MCA arrived last week and looks great. I have not yet had the chance to do so but hope to next weekend and will advise.

Forgot which maker... but saw a 30-30 for 20 gauge up to 18" length. But they didn't do the .45-70, to be sure. I was thinking it's just too thin.

In my case it'd be going in an H&R single shot at the moment. So left-right or Up-Down regulation probably not an issue.

I think pressure might be. H&R won't put a rifle barrel on their shotgun only receivers. So doing this strikes me as asking for same problems in terms of strength, though.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:09 AM »
Hi All,

I have a shotgun adapter in the works.  Jedman gave me a Rem 700 30-06 standard contour barrel.  I have turned it down to fit inside an 18 3/8" cylinder bore 3" 12 Pardner barrel.  I had to make a sleeve for the muzzle end of the 12 ga because the Rem barrel is under size.  All work  has been done with hand tools, bench grinder, 1" belt sander and a dremel. I also shortened the 30-06 chamber by about 1.125".  I then cutoff some 30-06 dies and formed brass to fit from 35 Rem brass.  Outside turning of the neck, shoulder and body of the 35 Rem brass is required to make this work; had a size die problem that i found and fixed. :-[  I am loading rounds with Hornady M1 carbine 1/2 Jacket 110 grain bullets over TB powder and hope to launch some test rounds today or tomorrow. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »
Absolutely WAY cool !!!  8) ;D , sounds like a well thought out approach, hope you took pics  ;)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
gcrank,

no pics, maybe when I am done.  I am going to keep this a removeable liner so when the ejector, scope mount etc are  completed I will try and have Jedman take some pics with his digital.  I have done some initial test firing and it appears promising.  I will start a new thread with the pics and range report once I finish up the gun, hopefully within a couple of weeks.

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2012, 03:19:06 AM »
This sounds like a really cool project. I cant wait to hear how it turns out.  ;D

Offline jkpq45

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
Have aluminum barstock.  Have lathe.  Have way too much to do this weekend and not enough time to crank out some adapters....

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
jkpq45   Wow thats some handle ,  Hey if you have a lathe and have ideas ......  give me a PM or email and let me know what you might want to build.   beleive me I have a infected mind that only wants to build more handi rifles , the more weird the better.
Myself and  Bikerbeans  brainstorm things that ought to be illegal,  but you only go round once in this life  so.......  give us a idea of what you want to make and maybe we can help ! 

;D ;D 8) 8) :P    jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:23 AM »
  I got 3 Dina 12 ga adapters. Tested them with a Mossberg 535 pump turkey gun with a red dot scope. The 38/357 shot groups of 5” at 15 yards and 8” at 30 yards. At 20 yards the 410 shoots a pattern 2X size of 12 ga with extra full turkey choke. Shot 5 rounds with 22 LR adapter. Never went bang until I refired them in a revolver. See reply #79.

Some day I would like to send the handi in for a 12 ga barrel and try the longer adapters.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:51 AM »
Have been looking in the pawn shops and my plans right now are to pick up a H&R 12 guage that looks OK and locks up tight. Can own a nice one for around $100.00. Hopefully with a modified choke. After looking at reviews from customers I want 10 inch 45 LC and 38 Special rifled inserts from MCA and the longer 22 LR rifled insert and a 20 guage insert from Short Lane. I could get all the cartridge inserts from Short Lane but as I want them rifled for as much accuracy as I can get, I'm having to spread the love around. One reliable gun that shoots the five different rounds I shoot most will be pretty nice. Now I'm just waiting for my bonus check from work to come in this week and the fun will begin. I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting on a pile of new toys.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2012, 03:48:29 AM »
I know the 'wanting' for one that will shoot all my fav. calibers, but from these reports, if it is really holes where you want them, these arent doing it  :( .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2012, 03:57:12 AM »
Check out the videos on the Short Lane website. I think it's www.gunadapters.com    Dave Canterbury shoots several of them. Not pin point rifle accuracy but not too shabby. I still wouldn't want one of the cartridge adapters that was aluminum or not rifled. Only non rifled one I want is the 20 guage adapter to go in the 12.

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
Short Lane also has "Zombie Series" adapters.  I would buy one of their zombie offerings but I didn't get drawn for an "undead" tag this year. ::)

BB

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
  Maybe you should get them anyway. A cop in Miami just shot the first zombie.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/18638489/florida-man-eats-a-mans-face
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
Thanks for that link and the mental pic that is now embedded in my mind! :o   It does however give me another reason to say no to my wife when she says she  wants us to move to FL.

BB

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »
I know this post is older but....I have 2 Dina adapters, 1-12 to 44 mag and 1- 20 ga to 357 mag.
They are probably 15+ years old (?) I have shot a boatload through the 44 mag. its still good.
The length is so that you can load them in the tube magazine in a pump gun (thats a gun that shoots more than one shot faster ?....Don't ask me...I think its a passing fad myself...) As for benefit?
Some states you are not allowed to carry buckshot or slugs when its not deer season and your load of #6 shot may not be ideal for Winny or the guy who wants to eat your face (ie; see Florida). So especially in a Topper, quick change out and BOOOM..(ok, bang) and you have that coyote you've seen just out of range of the shotgun, but not the 357 mag you have........MINE are accurate to 25+ yards, so...thats my 2 cents.
"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »
I got on the lathe last weekend and made a .45LC to 9mm adapter.  Still working out setting the o-ring to retain the rimless 9mm, and probably won't end up firing it, but it's fun to mess with.  Will likely come up with some shortie, unrifled 12ga to .45LC or 12ga to .44 Magnum for some semi-auto fun (if I had a blowback semi-auto 12ga instead of the gas-actuated 1100, maybe the .44 Magnum in the adapter wouldl cycle the action--anyone ever tried?)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »
I have ordered but not yet received a 9 inch rifled 22 lr adapter from Short Lane. Will order a 38/357 just like it if they ever make one. Also will be ordering a 10 inch 45 LC adapter from MCA soon. All for my H&R 12 ga. Have steered away from Dina as I just don't see aluminum rifling standing up to a lot of shooting.

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
Can't say on the semi Jkpq, It cycled in a pump, but not sure if there is enough recoil return to cycle a semi.
I like the idea of adapters. maybe be not for a sustained fire-fight, But for that one or two times you need a longer range, one hole pop........I think they are perfect.
"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
When I was working on my suppressed 20 gauge barrel for my handi-rifle, I noticed in my junk pile an old Marlin .30-30 barrel.  I cut it off at 15 inch +/-.. The length wasn't important because the barrel by itself is not a firearm and it would be inserted in a longer shotgun barrel meeting legal requirements.  I turned down the re-crowned muzzle end to have about a one inch long OD to just slip into the 20 gauge barrel.  I turned the chamber end to the ID +/- of a three-inch 20 gauge chamber.  For an extractor/ejector I use a cleaning rod.  No attempt for accuracy; I just wanted to see if I could make it work.  I think it would work for any cartridge not exceeding the pressure limitations of the late Handi-rifle actions.

Now if I can find an inexpensive -- not likely, huh -- break action that will handle the .50 BMG.  With a large suppressor, I might it get down to unsuppressed .308 level, but it would still be a bitch to shoot.  But it would make a hell of a Hog Gun.
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »
BTW  The nine MM head spaces on the shoulder of the case.  If that is rigth the case brass will seal itself off not o-ring needed.  This assumes that the combined headspace is correct  If your adapter chamber is too deep or if the adapter fits too deeply into the host barrel, you will need to start over.  I don't trust o-rings in firing chambers or barrels.  That is just me.
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
BTW  The nine MM head spaces on the shoulder of the case.  If that is rigth the case brass will seal itself off not o-ring needed.  This assumes that the combined headspace is correct  If your adapter chamber is too deep or if the adapter fits too deeply into the host barrel, you will need to start over.  I don't trust o-rings in firing chambers or barrels.  That is just me.

The O rings are located on the outside of the barrel near the muzzle end to center align the insert in the shotgun barrel. Otherwise the insert muzzle would be in contact with the shotgun barrel.

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
When I was working on my suppressed 20 gauge barrel for my handi-rifle, I noticed in my junk pile an old Marlin .30-30 barrel.  I cut it off at 15 inch +/-.. The length wasn't important because the barrel by itself is not a firearm and it would be inserted in a longer shotgun barrel meeting legal requirements.  I turned down the re-crowned muzzle end to have about a one inch long OD to just slip into the 20 gauge barrel.  I turned the chamber end to the ID +/- of a three-inch 20 gauge chamber.  For an extractor/ejector I use a cleaning rod.  No attempt for accuracy; I just wanted to see if I could make it work.  I think it would work for any cartridge not exceeding the pressure limitations of the late Handi-rifle actions.

Now if I can find an inexpensive -- not likely, huh -- break action that will handle the .50 BMG.  With a large suppressor, I might it get down to unsuppressed .308 level, but it would still be a bitch to shoot.  But it would make a hell of a Hog Gun.

I have got a couple of these "liner" guns.  One is a GM 45 ACP blank inside a Parnder 20 ga, finished at 18.5".  Liner barrel is epoxied in place and the gun will shoot close to MOA @ 100.  The second one isn't completed but has a shortened 30-06 chamber using formed 445 SM brass and has case capacity almost identical to a 7.62x39.  This liner barrel is inside a 12 ga pardner barrel and currently is removable, but that may change.  I havent' shot it for groups yet as it took a bunch of fiddlin' around to get the forming down on the 445SM brass. It will stablize a 190 grain BTHP down at 835 FPS. 

One problem i see with leaving the liner barrel removeable is getting it fully seated into the shotgun barrel each time.  A little dirt or oil etc. and your gun isn't going to lockup tight.  This is assuming you headspace the gun on the breech end of the liner barrel and not the host shotgun barrel. 

One other issue is you have to turn down the chamber swell on a donor barrel so one needs to think about what cartridge you plan on using and how you plan on doing your load workup.  Removing a few tenths off the outside of the chamber swell of 7mm Rem Mag and putting it in a shotgun barrel you are more likely to be building a pipe bomb than a rifle.  If you cutdown the rifle chamber and form a relatively small  capacity "wildcat" and think about what and  how you reload then things should go well.

I also think using a 12 ga host barrel is better because  you will have more meat left on your liner barrel and less time spent turning your liner to fit.

BB