Author Topic: Shotgun Adapters?  (Read 37063 times)

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
Re: Shotgun Adaptors?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:59 AM »
More accuracy testing wou be appreciated.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:36 AM »
A well made adapter can be very accurate, with good sights of course, Larry made a 22 Hornet adapter for 12ga for me, it's very accurate with a scope on my USH, even ejects the spent round!  8)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,160165.msg1098710803.html#msg1098710803

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 04:07:45 AM »
the "rifling" is very shallow and entire adapter is all-aluminum.  Not sure how well the "rifling" will hold up, or if it actually even does anything. 

In the photo it looked like aluminum, and he very vaguely states that they are machined out of "high quality machined metal."  I also was curious how long the rifling will last!

Tim, when I click on your link the photos won't come in.  Are they there or were they deleted somehow?  It opens in a new tab which may be the problem.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 04:30:35 AM »
Larry's pic hosting site is down, has been for a long time.  :-\

Tim

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 04:59:28 AM »
disregard my first thoughts, however I also was going to post about the ones made from carbon steel....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »
http://mcaceak.com/index.html

Just thought I would add these adapters that I came across as they seem the best compromise between accuracy (albeit untried) and value that I have seen. 10" rifled steel inserts for $95. The chap seems very flexible and willing to make custom stuff. A 30-30 adapter in the Mod barrel of my 20ga SxS during deer/grouse overlap season does seem interesting and I must say the prospect of turning a 12ga sxs into a 45-70 double rifle for $200 does seem very enticing. I wonder if he would do a .454 adapter...
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:34 AM »
A .454 adapter would turn most break barrel shotguns into a bomb, that would be a foolish mistake by the machinist and the shooter, the SAAMI MAP for the 12ga is 11.5-14kpsi, 454 Casull is 65kpsi!  :o

Tim

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »
A .454 adapter would turn most break barrel shotguns into a bomb,

So that is why folks call them "break" barrel shotguns. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Just thought I would add these adapters that I came across as they seem the best compromise between accuracy (albeit untried) and value that I have seen. 10" rifled steel inserts for $95. The chap seems very flexible and willing to make custom stuff. A 30-30 adapter in the Mod barrel of my 20ga SxS during deer/grouse overlap season does seem interesting and I must say the prospect of turning a 12ga sxs into a 45-70 double rifle for $200 does seem very enticing. I wonder if he would do a .454 adapter...
I have not thoght about this application for a SxS or O/U shotgun. This is really appealing to me.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

I have not thoght about this application for a SxS or O/U shotgun. This is really appealing to me.

I done it a few times with 45/70 adapters...

Well, they do go "bang" that's about as good as it gets.  Perhaps your expectations aren't as high as mine were/are?  I really loose patience fast with things are haflazz.

DM

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
Not to worry Tim, I was being facetious about a 454 insert. ;)   In fact, I have serious reservations about a .30-30 in most light game 20ga guns. Trapdoor loads in 45-70 might be safe in some chunky 12ga sxs but I certainly wouldn't want to risk it for novelty.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:09 AM »
Has anyone ever used Dinaarms.  They sure want to know a lot about me while not letting me know their phone number, address or anything at all.  It's "give me your credit card number"  I really want that .22 adaptor but they are very vaque about themselves.

I don't know anything about Dinaarms but I must admit a .22 LR adaptor for a little .410 really intrigues me. I have a 9mm/12 gauage adaptor and an old antique .410/16 Savage (?) adaptor like new in the box that I have not looked at in years but I do want to get a .22 LR/.410 and try it out. I would like to be able to keep one adaptor with each of a couple of little .410's with a couple of boxes of shells in .410 and .22 LR. Some different size shot, some slugs and "Tri-ball" buckshot loads, and some .22 LR ammo and you would be all set for a long time in the woods or at camp....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »
Well MSP Ret after seeing so many with the Dinaarms I thought they may be OK so I ordered my 12 Ga to .22 LR.  While the 1.5 inch of rifling might not be much the 27.5 inch Partner barrel should give it a ton of sight radius.  I'm expecting to be able to use it to about 30 feet for very small game or pest that I don't want to set off a load of numbers sixes at.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
Great thinking, please report back after you shoot it for effect. If it holds partridge size groups out to 10-15 yards or so it would be great..Thanks....<><.... :)

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:13 AM »
I just got in my 12ga to 20ga converter. Didnt try it yet but it looks well made. I think I will start with the different shotgun sizes first. I have two young boys at home. They are close in age so I like the idea of being able to convert my 20ga so that they could both use a .410 withiout haveing to buy a second gun. Same goes when moving them both up to 20ga. Eventually I will try out the pistol calibers, but until then I will keep reading your reviews on them.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
Hi guys, I got to the range with my 12 guage to 9MM adaptor today. Mine is aluminum and has rifling in it. It is a short adaptor, about 3" long, I think it is a Dina Arms adaptor. There were a couple of other guys at the range and they were enthralled with the adaptor when I pulled it out. I had planned to shoot it for accuracy at 10 yards and then at 15 yards but one of the other guys had a box of new 9MM FMJ ammo which he offered to use for testing, overall about a dozen rounds were fired. One of the guys went down and stapled an 8" paper plate to the 25 yard backstop so that is the distance we shot. All shots easily were held on the plate at 25 yards and the group was about 6" maximum after all three of us shot. The 12 guage used was an H&R/NEF Tracker II with a scope and there were no problems at all. The 9MM ammo was a nice smooth and snug but gentle press fit in the adaptor and the empties were easily removed with a short piece of 1/4" dowel. Overall it's a winner and is as accurate, or more accurate, than a snub nosed revolver at that distance. I believe it would work fine for dispatching vermin within 10 to 50 yards and with a center chest hold on a coyote at 25 yards it would be lights out. I do wish it was in .38/.357 since I have more ammo in that caliber. I now want one in .410/.22 LR even more...<><.... :) 

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »
Thanks Andy. Great report! I'm kinda drooling over the ones in .22LR, 9mm, and 357... Just narrow it down to which one to start with!  ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
Nice to hear from you buddy, I hope things are going well. I am thinking of trying an adaptor in steel but I would like it to be rifled. Actually I do't know if the rifling in the aluminum adaptor I have now actually works but the accuracy is acceptable for my needs so that is what matters, minute of partridge at about 10-15 yards. I think the 9MM adaptor I have would not leave much of the partridge for the pot, thats why I am thinking of getting a .410/.22 LR adaptor. But, this 9MM would be a great for many other uses. I think I would go with the one you could shoot the most for the least amount of money, either a .22 LR or a caliber you already reloaded for, be it .38/.357 or 9MM...<><.... :)

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the report MSP!  I just gotta get one soon...  lol  Have an old 16 ga. that I am getting ready to get brass shot shells set up for loading and I think I'll get a .22 one and a .45 colt one for it's kit.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
Nice to hear from you buddy, I hope things are going well. I am thinking of trying an adaptor in steel but I would like it to be rifled. Actually I do't know if the rifling in the aluminum adaptor I have now actually works but the accuracy is acceptable for my needs so that is what matters, minute of partridge at about 10-15 yards. I think the 9MM adaptor I have would not leave much of the partridge for the pot, thats why I am thinking of getting a .410/.22 LR adaptor. But, this 9MM would be a great for many other uses. I think I would go with the one you could shoot the most for the least amount of money, either a .22 LR or a caliber you already reloaded for, be it .38/.357 or 9MM...<><.... :)

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, 22, or 38/357 - and also because the adapter is aluminum, it would likely hold up better with cast bullets through it rather than jacketed, and that's what I mostly load in 38/357.
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »
Good point Tallyho, I load .38 special wad cutters and semi wC's so it'd work well..  Who knows, maybe I'll order a whole set.  lol
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
All the above got me to thinking, not always a good thing. I have wanted a .30 Cal carbine barrel for a Handi for a while. I have almost 1K of .30 cal carbine ammo and nothing to shoot it out of. I vaguely remember a company that offered an insert to shoot .30 Cal carbine ammo out of but I don't remember who it was or if they made inserts in that caliber for shotguns. Would anyone have any info on that possible combo? Another thought was perhaps rechambering a smaller insert to .30 carbine, your thoughts on that? Thanks....<><.... :)

added info - I located the company I saw a while ago, MACE. They do not make shotgun inserts for .30 Cal carbine ammo. Unless Someone knows of a company that does make one perhaps your thoughts on getting an insert rechamberd or reamed out to .30 Cal carbine...Thanks... 

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
A few of the different providers I've found have some options to contact them for customs.  I haven't personally seen a .30 Carbine option, but this guy specifically has a custom listing at the bottom of his page.  I'd say perhaps contacting them would be the best bet as I've never seen one for a .30.  ;)

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Shotgun_Adapters.html

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
Thanks, I saw that info about the specialty orders but I thought if I was going to spend a lot for a specialty insert I might as well have a stubbed barrel built...I was hoping, and still may, either locate a .30 cal insert or rechamber a standard caliber insert....<><....:) 

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
Not to get too far off topic here, but you might consider a .30 Carbine Blackhawk.  Just got a chance to shoot one with my Handloads, min. load of 13 gr. H110 under Hornady's 1/2 jacketed 100 gr. bullet.  Super shooting out of my pal's pistol in the 3" group range at over 40 paces and shoots good in my WWII Carbine also.  ;)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
It uses an o-ring to hold the case tight into the chamber and a small screw driver will be needed to removed the fired case from this adapter.

My Dinaarms 12 Ga/.22 RF adapter has the ring for an o-ring but they failed to include it in the envelope.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
Hi guys, these are the adaptors I was planning on getting in 3" .410/.22 LR. Guess what, I believe there was price increase TODAY, in the last hour or two if I am correct. It happened while I was waiting for some info back from them before placing my order...Timing is everything!!!....<><.... :)

http://www.gunadapters.com/categories/Shotgun-Adapters/12-gauge/

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »
Well I ordered the 3" .410 to .22 LR adapters and then check went out in this mornings mail. I hope to have them for testing and fun in about a week to 10 days. I'll post again after I get them and shoot them....<><....:)