Author Topic: Shotgun Adapters?  (Read 37055 times)

Offline Irongoat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Iron Goat Guns
Re: Shotgun Adaptors?
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
I didn't care if the thing was metal to metal with a little oil. It was polished smooth and remember this is a perforated 20 gauge barrel.  Headspace on the adapter/shotgun chamber fit was done very slowly, sneaking up on it .  Each time I tested it, I used a mallet to seat it.  I never said it was a thing of beauty.  I wanted something to adapt a firearm for extra calibers.  It works.  The suppressor doesn't quite suppress the .30-30 rounds to "hearing safe levels." Quieter but still louder than I like.
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
WOW I completely forgot about this thread but good to see it still going 6 months later.  I have a ton of 38 Special ammo so I'm probably going for the 12 gauge to 38/357 adaptor as well as a .410 to 22LR adaptor.   I like the rifled Dina Arms adaptors, will probably try them first.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:33 AM »
That rifled Dina adapter with lead bullets in 38/.357 should do great and I have been planning on getting one as well. I have one in 9MM and it shoots pretty well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cofi

Re: Shotgun Adapters?
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2013, 05:32:27 AM »
i know this is a zombie thread but i wanted to keep all the info on adapters in here.....

i have a 12ga

can i nest all these and still have them all work

12-20
20-410
410-22lr

im envisioning all of them nesting together in the storage forarm taking up the space of 1 12ga shell would they all work together? i.e. could i fire 22 in my 12ga with a whole stack of adaptors?

Offline cofi

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
i know this is a zombie thread but i wanted to keep all the info on adapters in here.....

i have a 12ga

can i nest all these and still have them all work

12-20
20-410
410-22lr

im envisioning all of them nesting together in the storage forarm taking up the space of 1 12ga shell would they all work together? i.e. could i fire 22 in my 12ga with a whole stack of adaptors?

ill be ordering from
http://www.gunadapters.com/categories/Shotgun-Adapters/12-gauge/

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:28 AM »
You will likely have some 'tolerance stacking', that is, the clearances for each adapter will add up by the number of adapters. If they are a very close fit into each other and the 12 to the actual gun chamber it would be ideal. Now, for a 22LR, or maybe even a 22Mag, it may not matter (though if the stack is kinda 'sloppy' so will your accuracy be). I would think this might even be OK for the std. pistol calibers, but would be leery of doing so with hotter rifle calibers (which it doesnt sound like you want to do anyway).
I just havent seen good enough accuracy reports on the short ones to justify it for practical use. For a survival context I still think a small, accurate 22 handgun would be better for me (accepting that it may not be for you) as an adjunct to my longun, and there I would be tempted to opt for a 20ga., though in reality a 410 may be more practical.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
Like was mentioned before, I see this thread is still going. Since I posted a while back I have purchased an 8 inch rifled 22, 8 inch rifled 45 LC, non rifled 38/357 and a 20 ga adapter for my 12 guage Pardner. All of mine came from Short Lane and are steel. I am very pleased with all of them and once you get the shotgun to cartridge adapter clocked and shooting to the point of aim they are very accurate. The non rifled 38/357 will shoot 2 inch groups at 15 yards while the rifled 22 and 45 will hit drink cans out to about 50 yards. Short Lane doesn't have a rifled 357 adapter so my next one will be a 10 inch rifled 357 from Gauge Mate.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline cofi

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »
You will likely have some 'tolerance stacking', that is, the clearances for each adapter will add up by the number of adapters. If they are a very close fit into each other and the 12 to the actual gun chamber it would be ideal. Now, for a 22LR, or maybe even a 22Mag, it may not matter (though if the stack is kinda 'sloppy' so will your accuracy be). I would think this might even be OK for the std. pistol calibers, but would be leery of doing so with hotter rifle calibers (which it doesnt sound like you want to do anyway).
I just havent seen good enough accuracy reports on the short ones to justify it for practical use. For a survival context I still think a small, accurate 22 handgun would be better for me (accepting that it may not be for you) as an adjunct to my longun, and there I would be tempted to opt for a 20ga., though in reality a 410 may be more practical.

i just envisioned being able to grab any shotgun ammo i see off the shelf and being able to use it......this is only used for skeet(and maybe some single shot .22 action

in a survival situation im grabbin the ar ;)

Offline bdo

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
I just ordered a 20-9mm 10" adapter from McAce. Hopefully it  won't take too long to get here. Now I just need to get some sights mounted so when it gets here I can give an accurate range report.

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
I am going to bring a twice dead thread back to life! Is there an update (range report) on the 30-30 caliber adapter in the 20ga??
I see that ace makes an 18" barrel adapter too... new possibilities open up!  ;)

Thanks
Rick

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
I have had a little experience now with a borrowed shell length, unrifled 32-20 adapter and it is a bit troublesome. It sticks in the adapter unless quite light loads are used and the accuracy with short 99gr. bullets in an unsighted smoothbore is not really usable for anything but a novelty. I think what I have discovered that for small game use a 410 adapter is a better choice and if one must have an adapter, get a longer insert barrel, rifled, of course.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
I was looking to see what he 10" 30-30 rifled adapter turned up, if anything at all. The 18" 30-30 rifled adapter should hypothetically perform just as well as an 18" barrel if fitted right... I may be having some wishful thinking though lol

Probably will just stick with a 30-30 barreled Handi and save my 12ga the trouble :D

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
I could see one of those in a sighted 12 or 20, like my old 'Buck' barrel, but the proper sight adjustment would likely be far different from what I need for slug shooting. Even 32-20 equiv. loads in 30-30 cases shoot far differently from the 150gr. full loads, though I am able to quickly change the rear sight adj. on the old Win. '94 carbine (as long as I have my notes and sketch). It certainly is not the,'oh look, a squirrel, I think I will pop out the 12ga. load and pop in the cartridge/adapter and get him' kind of thing.
The old Savage Mdl. 24 versions were the ideal; should have kept mine.......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
USSG has a few models of 12ga over .223/.243/30-06 I believe are the proper calibers. Few reviews but I have handled a 12/30-06 and everything looked totally legit. Doesn't really mean anything but promising by looks :D

Maybe that will be another project for the future after I get this Shorty 30-30 kicked off I want to do.
If any promising leads come up for the 30-30 in a 20ga/12ga barrel I will revisit this idea haha...

Anyone know if an adapter for a .308 in a 30-30 would work? I emailed a company but haven't gotten a reply.
(I know the bullet size (barrel) will work, twist will work (1:10), SB2 receiver will work... but I can't say for sure about the cartridge fitting right.)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:21 AM »
When you figure a rim seat for the 30-30 has to fit into the back of the 308 shaped adapter......and all the rest, no.
But there is no reason not to load a 308 to 30-30 ballistics, or 32-20ish, etc., and have about any level of power you want.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2013, 04:02:16 AM »
No, you have that backwards lol I want to fire a .308 out of the 30-30.
The adapter people said no, but I think they have it backwards too. I am going to try and straighten that out

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »
Just 'google' up each cartridge specs (length, dia. at different points on case, etc.) to compare them.
The cartridge you want to use in an adapter needs to be smaller in all dimensions, and still have some adapter wall thickness/strength, to work.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
I checked out Wikipedia and do some CAD stuff to make a sort of Blueprint to overlay each other and I think the bullet sticking out of the 30-30 casing wouldn't be particularly good and the dimensions would make it more of a "shoulder adapter" then a casing. Walls would be really thin if I was doing it right

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »
No, you have that backwards lol I want to fire a .308 out of the 30-30.
The adapter people said no, but I think they have it backwards too. I am going to try and straighten that out
You want an adapter so as to fire .308 Win cartridges out of a .30-30 chamber. Is that correct?
That cannot happen since the .308 Winchester case is larger than the .30-30 chamber. Look at a drawing of the two. Hold the cases together in your hand. Try taking a fired .308 Win case and fitting it all by itself into a .30-30 chamber. It won't fit. Certainly an adapter, which is yet larger, won't.
.30-30 Win. is 0.4215" diameter at the case head and 0.4013" at the shoulder. It is 2.0395" long.
.308 Win. is 0.4709" diameter at the case head and 0.4540" at the shoulder. It is 2.015" long.

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »
As I said I have come to realize this lol.. I am not an expert and figured I would ask.
Thanks anyway for entertaining my idea :D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:39 AM »
Check out MCA's website they make a lot of adapters . When you do get into what works keep in mind that pressure is a concern. As example I wanted a 327 fed mag adapter for a 308 rifle and MCA told me the pressure was to high , but I have one in 30 carbine  ??? . But the steel adapter to chamber does not expand to seal like a case does so that seems to be an issue. The 7.62X39 is sealed in the 308 chamber with loc-tite . That said the 30 carbine is very accurate to 50 yards in the 308 rifle , maybe more I have not tried farther yet.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2013, 03:24:07 AM »
I have tested the 10"  MCA 30-30 in my 20 ga SxS a fair amount. Given the sighting limitations and what I assume is barrel regulation effect, it is minute of deer accurate to 80 yards, after which the Kentucky windage becomes a little too difficult to guesstimate. I haven't used it in my 20 ga H&R because its on an old ductile iron SB1 receiver. But on a single barrel it should be much easier to figure out windage and elevation.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2013, 03:57:59 AM »
I used an 18" MCA .45 ACP insert in a 12 ga Partner barrel with sights. At 100 yds I got a 2" group.
Gene

Offline bdo

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2013, 04:46:46 AM »
I received my 10" 20-9mm adapter on Saturday. It came with one o-ring towards the front of the barrel. The o-ring was not large enough to hold it snug in the barrel and still allowed for movement so for the time being I have wrapped some electrical tape around a few different areas of the insert until I achieved a nice slip fit. I fired a total of 5 rounds through it to test the function and it functioned just fine. The 9mm casings fall right out which is nice. As of yet I cannot comment on accuracy. I picked up some adjustable sights yesterday and will be picking up some black locktight tonight (hopefully they carry it at home depot). If the weather is nice next weekend I hope to get some bench time in to see what it can do at the range.

If the groupings are good at 25-50 yards I want to inquire about an adapter for a 357 sig round. I see that he does not currently list the 40 or 357 sig adapters on his website. Does anyone know if the pressures of the 357 sig is too high?

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2013, 06:01:36 AM »
The electrical is a good idea but see if you can get a thicker O-Ring at the auto parts or even hardware store. Use some gun-friendly grease on the O-Ring to keep from building up any corrosion (even Vasoline would do). I also like the idea of being aware that in the barrel at the insert's muzzle, where the gas is going to spray outward as the bullet exits, you may need to do some 'extra' cleaning, etc.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
Okay, I spoke with MCA and neither .308 or 7.62 will work in a 30-30 adapter. They will make a 30 Carbine for 30-30 though and I believe that would make a fine plinking round if it was in stock anywhere for a fair price lol... I think I may simply focus on finishing my rifle and getting it to shoot good, then get an adapter and tinker with it!

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
Okay, I spoke with MCA and neither .308 or 7.62 will work in a 30-30 adapter
Yes...well. It is good that you have that sorted out. That you did not believe the posters here on the forum who told you the same - that it would not work - is bothersome.
You ask a question. You get answers that tell you the same thing. You are told how to check this. You don't believe. Or....you don't trust.
On one level, at least, that is a healthy attitude when on the Internet.
On another, it is bothersome. But maybe I am just sensitive this morning before the coffee kicks in.
I had a .30 Carbine adapter for a .30-30 barrel that I use on my T/C Contender. It was a fun plinker. The neck eventually cracked.....perhaps because the carbine load is at such a high pressure, tho' I am guessing at that.
Pete

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2013, 04:11:16 AM »
Thing is, that in a 30-30, or 308, or 30-06, etc. you do not need an adapter to make 30C or 32-20ish equivalent loads, you just use a lesser charge of powder and a similar weight projectile. Spend the money on some lighter weight bullets, stuff 'em up and go play.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »

Yes...well. It is good that you have that sorted out. That you did not believe the posters here on the forum who told you the same - that it would not work - is bothersome.
You ask a question. You get answers that tell you the same thing. You are told how to check this. You don't believe. Or....you don't trust.

On another, it is bothersome. But maybe I am just sensitive this morning before the coffee kicks in.
I had a .30 Carbine adapter for a .30-30 barrel that I use on my T/C Contender. It was a fun plinker. The neck eventually cracked.....perhaps because the carbine load is at such a high pressure, tho' I am guessing at that.
Pete

I have learned my lesson of taking things mysterious strangers say on the internet, as truth. You will have to forgive me if you were offended for some strange reason that I was double checking the facts of an internet forum  ;)

As far as the .30 Carbine goes (throat cracking), how many rounds did it last? It only costs $22 + S/H so if it lasted a few hundred rounds, really no complaints from me

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »

Pete

I have learned my lesson of taking things mysterious strangers say on the internet, as truth. You will have to forgive me if you were offended for some strange reason that I was double checking the facts of an internet forum  ;)

As far as the .30 Carbine goes (throat cracking), how many rounds did it last? It only costs $22 + S/H so if it lasted a few hundred rounds, really no complaints from me

No need to ask, or have anyone answer here then, you already said you don't believe the answers...

DM