Author Topic: Plated bullets vs. Cast vs. Jacketed  (Read 827 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Plated bullets vs. Cast vs. Jacketed
« on: December 26, 2011, 07:41:49 AM »
I'm looking to start large volume loading of 40 S&W ammo and am looking at various types of bullets to order. Several companies make plated bullets that are reasonably priced and some make cast. Or I can get plated. This will be my first time loading for semi-auto and I'm not sure about using cast. I'm also not sure if I can load the  plated to the same kind if velocities as jacketed (I've never used them). Input from anyone with experience with loading cast or plated in semi-autos?
I know the cast would be restricted to lower pressures and velocities, but very cheap. Jacketed would be pricker, but I voikd load yo higher velocities and get flater shooting ammo. No idea about the plated. If I'm going to be restricted to cast velocities I'd rule the plated out. (More expensive than cast).
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline 223Pitbull

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Plated bullets vs. Cast vs. Jacketed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Plated bullets are loaded to lead/cast velocities.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »
It is important that we know what gun you would be shooting these loads from.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
 The first bullets I loaded for my .357 were Rainier Plated and in accordance with their instructions I loaded them to swaged lead data. I then switched to cast bullets as they are much cheaper. In addition, a hardcast bullet can handle more velocity than a swaged bullet.
 However, depending on your bullet weight and powder selection you're velocity wil be between 900 & 1200 FPS, according to my Lyman manual. Leading won't be an issue with those speeds unless you have an undersized bullet. Lyman recommends cast bullets sized at .401" and you're going to want a round nose or round nose flat point to ensure good feeding in your semi auto.
Personally I use cast bullets in both of my .380 atuos with no leading whatsoever. I use RN bullets and they feed well, but I've also used truncated cone with good results. I figure I'm running about 900 FPS and while that's slower than a hot .40 S&W load, I also load my .357 levergun with cast bullets. They run about 1600 FPS with no leading, so I really don't think you'll have any problems with .40 S&W loads.
 What bullet weight and velocity are you looking to run?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
You don't indicate what gun type...but for me, in any handgun type, this is what I do:

For just plinking and informal shooting, the majority of my pistol shooting, I use reloaded or factory Plated or Lead Caste bullets. For competition, I'll usually go with reloads or factory with a Full Metal Jacket bullet (for punching paper or knocking down steel in a competition, I've always done well with an FMJ).

For concealed carry its always a Jacketed Factory Hollow-Point.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
I'm loading for a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 16.5" barrel. Based on what I've seen on BBTI I am leaning towards a lighter bullet since they are far safer to load for higher velocities in a rifle length barrel. One way or another I will keep some factory 180 gr Remingtons available for HD, they should be sufficient for the average BG and are less likely to over penetrate.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
I'm a little confused as to why you think lighter bullets ae safer. Are you concerned about damaging the gun or are you worried about over penetration?
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
I load 180 grain Berry's plated bullets and 180 grain cast bullets for my 38-40 Ruger Blackhawk.  My loads are, by far, heavier than any 40 S&W load as these loads can only be loaded in a Ruger Blackhawk as opposed to any other standard 38-40.  I will not push the plated bullets beyond 1200 fps but I can push the cast (and jacketed if I choose to do so) to much higher velocities.

As already has been stated, plated bullets can only be loaded to lead bullet velocities, that is around 1200 fps.  Cast bullets and jacketed bullets can be loaded to much higher velocities, however, leading may or may not occur due to the hardness of the cast bullet.  In order to keep the leading down with cast bullets, you probably want to stay in the range of 12 to 15 Brinnel hardness with 40 S&W loads.  Don't be fooled into thinking that the harder the bullet, the less leading.  The only downfall I have with the use of cast bullets is that they tend to be smokey and tend to leave a lot of soot on your gun.  This is more than likely due to the waxy lubricant used on the cast bullet which is burned upon firing. 

With reference to your shooting 40's from a carbine, I shoot cast bullets of roughly the same hardness as listed above from my 45 Colt carbines (up to velocities of approximately 1,700 fps) and rarely if ever get any leading from such cast bullets.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
As of recently I now only load for one semi-auto, and I can't recall the last jacketed bullet that was fired through it. I've never used any plated bullets, as I shoot bullets that I cast in all of my hand guns. I can push the plain based cast bullets at a pretty good pace with no leading, or at least not enough to be of any concern.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
For plinkers I shoot plated and it's rare that any lead/cast bullets come out of my guns. I don't like the smoke or the incredible cleanup from a cast bullet- but that me being lazy. As long as you keep velocities at or below 1200'ps, load plated as hot as ya want. I have several Poly rifled 40's and they all shoot plated just fine but cast gives me bad groups at best. My favorite load is a 135gr HP Rainier under a near max load of Unique. Easy on the hand, easy on the ears, easy on the gun, and accuracy is better than most are capable to hold.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
Incredible cleanup? If you do your load development correctly, clean up is a matter of wiping off the exterior of the gun and putting it in the safe. Shortcuts in loading development save you time at the beginning, then cost you at least twice as much time at the end.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
I'm a little confused as to why you think lighter bullets ae safer. Are you concerned about damaging the gun or are you worried about over penetration?
Because the 180 grain bullets take up so much space in the case you run a very high risk that higher velocity loads will develop extreme pressures if seating is even a small amount to deep. So higher velocity loads in a 40 S&W are safer to hand load at lighter bullet weights.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Incredible cleanup? If you do your load development correctly, clean up is a matter of wiping off the exterior of the gun and putting it in the safe. Shortcuts in loading development save you time at the beginning, then cost you at least twice as much time at the end.
Going to have to agree here, almost all I've ever shot out if my 45-70 is cast hand loads and I've never noticed any great cleanup or even smoke.....?

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
First things first I have loaded .44 Magnum 250 grain cast bullets to a chronographed 1,680 fps (average) in a rifle, and 350 grain cast bullets in .45-70 to 2,070 fps also chronographed.  Neither load showed any leading, and both are highly accurate.  There is no need to restrict velocities as long as the bullet is cast from a proper alloy, properly sized, and uses the right lube for the task.

An auto loader is going to need more of a rounded nose profile, and a rather hard alloy, which do not expand much at handgun velocities.  Plated bullets will present similar issues.  Jacketed bullets in an autoloader are the best option IMO, and can usually be purchased in bulk packs for a reasonable price.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Were these gas checked bullets or plain based?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
Plain base, "Laser Cast" from oregon trail, sized to .432"

***ADDED*********************************************

The 45-70 was also plain base, "Hard Cast" sized to .460" factory lubed and then sprayed with Moly  ;)

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
I load all 3 for my .40 s&w pistol and carbine. I use a 155 gr. swc from Missouri Bullet co. for the lead option. They function well, but I have not been able to get the accuracy I want. Might be a "just getting the right powder/bullet combination problem". No leading to speak of in either firearm. I tried Rainier plated bullets, but found them to be very soft and easily damaged when loading. They functioned well, but too delicate for my taste. I now use Frontier 165 gr. rn for my plated option and am quite happy with them, function well, reasonably accurate out of both firearms and seem to be a little tougher than the Rainiers. I use Sierra 165 gr. jhp for my jacketed option. VERY accurate in both firearms, kinda of pricey, I load them for HD rounds. I am currently using HS-6 under all these bullets (may be the problem with the Missouri Bullets) and push all to mid-jacketed levels. Best of luck to you, but the chase is half the fun. JamesIII