Author Topic: Cutting choke threads? Poly-Choke?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Cutting choke threads? Poly-Choke?
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
I want to cut down the barrel on my single shot pardner12 gauge to 18.5" and have the muzzle threaded to accept standard choke tubes, and also reinstall the bead.  Can anyone here recommend a good gunsmith who who can this at a reasonable cost?  Thanks!

Just had another brainstorm.  Anyone here ever install a Poly-Choke on their Pardner single shot barrel?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: Cutting choke threads? Poly-Choke?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:10:39 PM »
"Anyone here ever install a Poly-Choke on their Pardner single shot barrel?"

Can't help you with this exact subject, but I have 2 Winchester Model 12's that have the Poly-Choke on them.  They work really well, if you have a Poly-Choke installed on a H&R barrel, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »
I plan on sending my 20ga tamer barrel to Carlson's . Kinda pricey, but you get 3 choke tubes and 2 wrenches.
http://www.choketube.com/instal.html

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:08:06 AM »
Ganjiro--The PolyChoke II is the old PolyChoke that screws into a threaded barrel--woodsrunner
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:26 AM »
Ganjiro;
            The gunsmith I used was Michael R. Orlen, 79 Salem Street, Amherst , MA 01002, Tel # (413) 256-1630.  He cut a couple of barrels for me and added Colonial choke tubes. But he does other shotgun work as well.  I had my barrels back in less than a week and his prices were very reasonable.   Let me know how you make out.
Tony212

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
I plan on sending my 20ga tamer barrel to Carlson's . Kinda pricey, but you get 3 choke tubes and 2 wrenches.
http://www.choketube.com/instal.html
Ganjiro;
            The gunsmith I used was Michael R. Orlen, 79 Salem Street, Amherst , MA 01002, Tel # (413) 256-1630.  He cut a couple of barrels for me and added Colonial choke tubes. But he does other shotgun work as well.  I had my barrels back in less than a week and his prices were very reasonable.   Let me know how you make out.
Tony212

Thank you VERY much for the suggestions guys, I shall check out both smiths.   ;D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
I had a barrel cut down and re-threaded for rem choke earlier this year, cost was $ 120 and it turned out perfect, looks like it came straight from remington which was the goal. Good luck in your search, i live north of the border so i doubt the person i used would work for you, just thought you would want an idea on what i costs roughly im sure most gunsmiths are in a similar price range for this work.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »
+1 on Michael Orlen.  If you join the Shotgunworld site (free), he will give you dealer price.  $35 + $30 (2-way shipping) + $20 (per choke tube) = $85 with one tube is an outstanding deal IMHO.  Not really different $ from above post unless you don't need 3 tubes.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237

Old posting, but pricelist updated 2011.

Offline perrytrails

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »
I have exactly what your wanting. I cut my 12 ga down, mainly because it wasn't shooting to POA at forty yards.

I cut it at 20 inches and rabbit hunted with it for years. Light weight and quick!

Got a brain storm one day, I sent the barrel to poly choke and had one installed. Its one of my favorite shot guns!

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »
Perrytrails,

How is the front sling swivel attached?  Screwed to the front of the forearm, or on a barrel mount?  Do you have a close up photo you could post?

Thanks!
-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »

Hello Gangiro:
  I cut a 220A savage SG down to 18 1/4" and put a savage adjustable choke, Similiar to a polychoke, and it shoots OK, does not quite have the range as with the 32" bbl. but it's a lot more fun and the choke does work. I found it in a junk box that I bought from a gunsmith in 1982, It's been on the 220 since about that time. It was a cut-off and I chucked it up and bored it out and put it on the 220.  I put a military band on it forward of the forend and cut the stock to 12", a lot of fun and I also made inserts for 45ACP as well,,,,did I say that it is a lot of fun too shoot but the slugs(Mags) are not.
  Have fun
  safety first
  HM

Offline perrytrails

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
Its a standard sling mount with wood screw threads. Make sure you drill your forearm first, or it will prob crack. I've never pulled one out.

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:51:13 AM »
Perrytrails, how much did you pay to have the poly choke put on? I have a similar shotgun I would like to have done.