Author Topic: The Firing Line at Rita Blanca Lake  (Read 2860 times)

Offline xd45nut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
The Firing Line at Rita Blanca Lake
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »
My humble little waterfowl spot just outside of Dalhart.

My tumbleweed “Blind”

and my take for the day... Yippy!

I did tag two other geese but they didn't drop.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Firing Line at Rita Blanca Lake
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
Brrrrrr, that looks cold!!!!    Or is that some incredibly clean white beach sand? 
markc

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
Brrrrrr, that looks cold!!!!    Or is that some incredibly clean white beach sand?

Clean White beach sand in the Texas panhandle next to a garbage can? No my friend it is snow. This part of the state was hit with a blizzard about a week ago (we got 15" of the white stuff). To be honest I even had trouble finding a spot of clean white snow for that photo.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline markc

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
I wasn't being serious about the sand.  Yep saw that blizzard on the weather channel.  We managed some decent rain from that front which we desperately need down here.   Hope you bag some more on your next trip.
markc

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:19 AM »
Sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic. The problem is the way things sound in my head often don't translate well to type. I'll be going out there tomorrow and I should get one or two. Unfortunately as the season gets later and their numbers start thinning the ones that are left are flying higher and higher. But I guess that is to be expected :'( .

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline markc

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
True, higher and perhaps faster flying too.  How many do you usually take in a season?  No one here eats waterfowl, so I stopped hunting them. Sure had fun with ducks in the woods though when I did hunt them.
markc

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:09:41 AM »
Well I usually get 5 or 6 flights within shooting range and being that I am not a great shot and I only have a single shot H&R. I usually get 1 or 2, however I did get 3 the weekend before Christmas ;D . So far this season I have taken 6.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline markc

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
Sounds like you have a couple meals there.  Your blind reminded me of the OUtdoor Life article on the ultimate duck blind.  Totally ridiculous cabin sunk into the ground with a complete kitchen and office chairs to sit in.  Crazy. But probably comfortable.
markc

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
Your blind reminded me of the OUtdoor Life article on the ultimate duck blind.  Totally ridiculous cabin sunk into the ground with a complete kitchen and office chairs to sit in.  Crazy. But probably comfortable.

It would be cool to workout some kind blind like this for waterfowl hunting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2EeappH-zY

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline markc

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 03:47:54 AM »
I gather from your name here that you fancy the Springfield XD45?  It is what I began to carry in 2011 and goes everywhere with me. 
markc

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
I gather from your name here that you fancy the Springfield XD45?  It is what I began to carry in 2011 and goes everywhere with me.

I did, but I sold it for a Ruger Vaquero (I am an a wheel gun kick at the moment). I carry gun is now a Rossi .38. I hope to get a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel for carry weapon soon.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
hello neighbor, its good to see someone from my neck of the woods.

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »
hello neighbor, its good to see someone from my neck of the woods.

Where you at?

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mrbigtexan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
I am in Dumas

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
Oh wow, you live in the town with the Wal-Mart. I'm out here in Dalhart. we should get together some time and do some shooting or hunting. I need to put a new scope on my rifle and then I am planing on doing some coyote hunting out at the Rita Blanca grass lands next month, you interested?

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mrbigtexan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
did you ever have any luck at rita blanca grasslands?

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
Yes for coyote and prairie dogs. Going to try getting some dove out there this fall.

Theodore Roosevelt