Author Topic: vinegar and live primers  (Read 415 times)

Offline lendar

• Trade Count: (1)
vinegar and live primers
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
This is an interesting story.  I found about 100 factory primed 22-250 cases when I was looking through the brass at a junk yard.  The brass was very dirty and I knew I would have to tumble the devil out of it but it looked like it would clean up.  When I got it home I saw it would take more than just a tumble.  I knew I would loose the primer but I had to soak it in vinegar to get the black off.  I have been using 50-50 vinegar for years and it has worked well for me.  So I soaked them about 1/2 an hour and tumbled them.  They came out looking like they just left the factory.  I was about to deprime them when I had a thought.  I hate to deprime live primers so I thought I would run them through the gun to make sure they were dead.  To my surprise I did 10 of them and they all went bang.  The vinegar had no effect on them and I now have they loaded.  I would have never believed the vinegar would not effect the primer.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: vinegar and live primers
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
 :) ;) ;D You need vinegar and olive oil to clean the brass and kill the primers. It makes a good salad dressing as well.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: vinegar and live primers
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »
Very little will kill a primer, contrary to popular belief.  I'm still loading with some that are 30 or more years old.  No duds.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)