Author Topic: Texan Turret Press  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Texan Turret Press
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:27:07 AM »
I found one of these with an eight seven station turret head, huge shovel type handle and in real nice condition but I don't know what they're worth. Anybody have any idea? I know it's not a Hollywood but it's still a heavy duty press and I'm giving it some serious consideration. I recently learned it's a Loadmaster Model T, for those who might chime in.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Ron T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Texan Turret Press
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
I"ve used my Texan 7-station turret press for the last 50 years and it's still working as good as it did when it was new.

I never have used it as a progressive reloader, but rather I keep two 2-piece rifle die sets plus a 3-piece pistol die set on the press's head at all times... usually my 7x57 and my .300 Savage rifle die sets plus a 3 piece .44 magnum carbide die set.  However, I have about a half a dozen other rifle or pistol die sets in different calibers.

As to it's value, your guess is as good as mine.  I don't recall what I paid for it... I seem to remember a number something like $125-$150 in early 1960 "dollars", but I could be wrong.

If I had to buy it again today (and I would buy it 'cause it's a darned good reloading press)... I'd be willing to pay up to $150-$200 for one in really good condition.  I emphasize "REALLY good condition" because, as far as I know, the company isn't in business anymore, but I also be WRONG about that as well.

That said... I have to say that the Texan Turret Press is built very sturdy & strong... and I seriously doubt that the Texan Turret Press would ever have much of a physical problem since it really is "heavily built" and mine has been totally trouble-free for the past 50+ years and it was heavily used the first 30 or 35 years of it's life with me... reloading thousands and thousands of rounds of rifle and pistol cartridges.  Over the past 15 years or so, my use has diminished some, but I still use it several times a year for extended reloading.

However, during the past four years, I've gotten into shooting and enjoying black powder, muzzle-loading, .50 caliber side-lock rifles (flint-lock and percussion cap) and am truly enjoying shooting those "yester-year" black powder rifles!

Hope this helps you, but it's just my 2¢...    :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flash

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:58:01 AM »
Thanks Ron. I initially bought it to resell it but I've decided to keep it. It has the automatic primer system with both primer tubes and it's in great condition and looks to be nore more than a year or so old.

This thing is so well built that one could easily swage bullets with it. I removed my Lyman T mag from the bench and installed the Texan in it's place. Here is a pic of exactly what I bought.

Offline Ron T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
Flash...

I'm pleased to see that Texan Turret Presses are still being manufactured.  I didn't think they were still being made.

Texan presses are truly powerful presses, but I doubt if they were ever meant to swage bullets since they have the turret "head" which is moveable.

Enjoy your Texan Press... it should last you a life-time.    :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flash

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
Nope, it's 40 years old Ron. The Texan hasn't been produced in decades.