Author Topic: Almost There  (Read 380 times)

Offline Propdoc03

• Trade Count: (0)
Almost There
« on: January 17, 2004, 06:13:25 AM »
I am getting closer but still have a ways to go and still have a few questions. These may have been answered in other posts but I am pretty much read out for the day. I just finished reading pretty much the entire Veral Smith Board.
So, what do I need to go with my melted wheel weights so that I can start casting? From what I understand I do need to add aprox.  2% tin for castability? If using for Black Powder Cartridge then they will need to be softened up with the use of an oven, for handgun they may be fine. Sound right? My goal is to end up casting for my 45/70 with black powder but I am thinking handgun casting might be better to get me started?
I really like the molds that Veral offers and am thinking of going with a four cavity, possible a two. So how does one get a mould to castin temp. and how long does it take to solidify before dropping the bullet. Is it the mold that controls the speed of casting? Guess I will keep it at that for now.

Thanks PD

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Almost There
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 07:08:04 AM »
Doc wheel weights have addequate tin in them for casting for black powder, if your moulds aren't filling out in the lube rings, cast a little faster, and/or increase the temp of your melt.  The act of casting will heat up your moulds and the rate at which you cast will maintain a temperature range of the mould.  You'll just have to experiment with the speed, it seems that just a few seconds for the sprue to solidify is about right.
To preheat your mould, lay it on the edge of your melting pot while it heats then cast a few bullets.  It seems to me that it takes quite a few bullets to get the mould "broken in".
Heat treating will harden your bullets, so while you may want to heat treat your pistol bullets, your rifle bullets for black powder should be about right as cast.
I'm still new to casting and the very questions your asking are still fresh on my mind.  :oops:
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Propdoc03

• Trade Count: (0)
Almost There
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 07:37:15 AM »
Thanks Butler
What about mold release. I see that offered in catalogs but dont know that I have seen it mentioned on any of these post's, is is even needed?

PD

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Almost There
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 08:00:41 AM »
I remember Cheyenne Ranger commenting about a mould that he was having some problems with, and the use of mould release cured the problem.  I've never tried it.  I have just washed the moulds with hot soapy water, rinsed and dried, then clean with a solvent of some type that doesen't leave a residue, ie. alcohol, white gass, gun scrubber, electric motor cleaner, what ever I have available.  Then I smoke the mould with a match and have had good luck.  The point being that you want NO grease in the mould, casting a few bullets seems to finish the cleaning job.
My casting setup is pretty high tech though so that may make a difference. :-D  :-D  :-D   I use a coleman stove, dutch oven and a ladle.  The one thing that I purchased that has helped me tremendiously is a thermometer.  I wouldn't recommend anyone try to cast with out one, After just a few heatting and cooling cycles, you will learn more about casting than you can read in any book.  I feel that strongly about that $28 investment and my middle name is Cheap!
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt