Author Topic: Questions on Powder  (Read 1026 times)

Offline kaboom

• Trade Count: (0)
Questions on Powder
« on: December 28, 2011, 02:39:16 PM »
I am new to this and am looking for the right cannon and or morter.  Of course I do want to shoot projectiles and the bigger the better I figure.  I do however have a question about powders.  I have a lot of Pyrodex left from when I was into black powder shoots and was wanting to know is this suitable for cannons?  Why yes or no?  Opinions?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Questions on Powder
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
Generally, in large bore cannon and mortars (over 3/4" bore), Pyrodex is unsuitable because the pressure doesn't get high enough for it to burn efficiently.  In small bore guns similar to muzzleloading rifles and pistols, it may work satisfactorily but I have no experience there.

You will be best served by using real black powder; maybe trade the Pyrodex to someone for BP.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »
I was never able to get any more than 10 or 15 feet range with Pyrodex.  Pyrodex needs resistance to work right. 

We have some folks here who say they have used Pyrodex with out a problem...I haven't been able to figure out how. Sur would like to know their load details...windgage, patch or sabot.

Offline kaboom

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
I am not sure if I could find someone to trade it off to.  You know how BP purists are.  If it has been sucessfully used it would be nice to know how.  I have probably 10 bottles of it so that could do a lot of shooting.  I now use a new style inline to hunt with and so do not do a lot of shooting as in the past.

Since it takes resistance to biiuld up presure I wonder if it would work in a bowling ball style morter.  The ones made out of an O2 tank.  Just a thought. 10 to 15 feet seems very short and not even worth considering. Wow?

Pehaps someone with experience using it sucessfully will chime in...

Offline keith44

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
I use substitutes, like pyrodex, for noise maker loads only.  Real black powder just performs better all around.  In rifles it operates at a lower pressure, but nearly equal velocity to pyrodex.  In firecracker cannons Goex gives better range, and lights the crackers fuse more consistantly.  In my .56 cal and .69 cal mini cannons I get better range, and a throater boom using real black.  If you forego patching in the mini cannons (as most recommend) pyrodex will simply burn around the projectile.  Real black powder will still provide "lift" even with alot of windage.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline kaboom

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
Wow.  All things considered I guess the next question would be...

Someone want to make a trade?

Offline ironball

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
I tried it years ago for blanks. I could get a decent report only if I used tons of wadding. Set fires all over the lawn. The stuff is pretty good fertilizer, though.
Never let the people with all the money and the people with all the guns be the same people.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
Someone want to make a trade?

You would be more likely to find success if you post this in one of the other black powder forums.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »
Why get rid of it, you had a need for it before, and you might again.  Hang on to it.  I have all kinds of powder from many previous project, so much I would be afraid the Fire marshal might get angry with me if he found out...

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »
I'm betting a long thin powder chamber could be developed to safely develop the pressures needed for want-to-be black powders.   (The longer/thinner the chamber is, the higher the pressures.)

someday ....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
I have had good result using Proydex in Pop can cal. Mortars. A pop can filled with water, frozen to ice and 360 grs, ffg will go 270 yds. Goex ffg 310 yds.  Filled with a brick mortar or concrete will go futher.  Tennis balls filled with sand, Pryodex will not work, it will not work with my golf ball mortars.  Prydex needs the resestance to work .

Pryodex will work in a 1" bore with a light cotton patch. I have clocked them at 2250 fps. 

What ever cannon you use be sure it is off a good steel, capable of the pressures. If cast barrel, then properly lined with a seamless steel liner.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline kaboom

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »
Thanks for the input Rick.  I went to your site but did not see prices nor ordering info.  Did I miss something somewhere?  When the frozen pop can gets shot does it hold together?  What about the ones filled with concrete or mortor?  Do they hold together?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 03:18:09 AM »
Thanks for the input Rick.  I went to your site but did not see prices nor ordering info.  Did I miss something somewhere?  When the frozen pop can gets shot does it hold together?  What about the ones filled with concrete or mortor?  Do they hold together?

It's definately shaken, not stirred.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
Kaboom,  The pop cans of ice do hold together, and can be fried more than once if done before they start to melt. Fill with water to withen 1/2" of the neck or the can will split. At the shoot DD had in Cut Bank there were lots of rock and even their the Mortar filled cans held up well. Once deformed, disgard the cans.

On my web site did you check the main page and the gallery. My address should be on main page, the prices I think are on the gallery.

Today I did more testing on a tennis ball mortar, ball filled with sand effective at 250 yds. did shoot one to 326 yds. with Goex Powder. 
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline brass cannon

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
I have worked with a sleeved 3 pndr that has a 2 1/4 inch bore and used pyrodex very nicely.  However, it went poooooof  in a 4 pndr with a 3 1/4 inch bore.

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
pyrodex never worked for me soto shoot it gone i mixed it 60% real to 40% pyrodex this mix seems to wor and making that pyroddex go away

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
I have been following this thread wondering and waiting for someone mention duplexing Pyrodex. 

Offline ironball

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »
I say just sprinkle the Pyrodex around some plants or shrubs you are particularly fond of, and go buy more black powder.
Never let the people with all the money and the people with all the guns be the same people.

Offline keith44

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
I say just sprinkle the Pyrodex around some plants or shrubs you are particularly fond of, and go buy more black powder.

+1

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA