Author Topic: Reps gang up against Ron Paul.  (Read 746 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Reps gang up against Ron Paul.
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:22:29 AM »
Surging in Iowa, Ron Paul Takes His Turn as Rivals' Punching Bag
Published December 28, 2011
| FoxNews.com

• paul_iowa_122211.jpg AP
    Dec. 22, 2011: Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul speaks during a campaign stop in Dubuque, Iowa.
For months, Ron Paul was by turns ignored, tolerated and occasionally even praised by his opponents in the Republican presidential race.
But with the libertarian-leaning candidate surging to the front of the field in Iowa with less than a week to go before the caucuses, Paul's extensive record of outside-the-GOP-mainstream comments and views is coming under withering attack by his competitors.
While some of his fellow Republicans have practically adopted his unwavering criticism of the Federal Reserve and Washington's spending habits over the course of the campaign, they are picking apart other aspects of his record -- in particular singling out his foreign policy views as dangerously isolationist.
   Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who mostly had stayed away from commenting on Paul's campaign, took a swipe Wednesday at the Texas congressman's hands-off attitude toward Iran's nuclear program.
"The greatest threat that Israel faces, and frankly the greatest threat that the world faces, is a nuclear Iran. ... We have differing views on this," Romney said at a cafe in Muscatine, Iowa. "Actually one of the people running for president thinks it's OK for Iran to have a nuclear weapon. I don't."
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, whose numbers in Iowa have dropped precipitously while Paul's have climbed, has emerged as one of the Texas congressman's toughest critics in the closing days of the Iowa blitz.
Asked Tuesday whom he would vote for if left with a choice between Paul and President Obama, Gingrich bucked Republicans' typical anybody-but-Obama answer, calling that a "very hard choice."
"I think Barack Obama is very destructive to the future of the United States. I think Ron Paul's views are totally outside the mainstream of virtually every decent American," he said.
Gingrich continued to criticize Paul over a series of newsletters dating back to the 1980s that bore Paul's name and contained a string of racially charged statements.
Paul has denied writing those statements and told Fox News last week that they made up just a tiny fraction of the newsletter content, which were devoted to monetary policy and other issues.
Paul earlier had launched a tough ad against Gingrich accusing him of "serial hypocrisy," but Gingrich said the newsletters undercut his message.
"He's attacking me for serial hypocrisy and he spent 10 years earning money out of a newsletter that had his name, that he didn't notice," Gingrich said on CNN. "Now all I'm saying is I think he's got to come up with some very straight, very straight answers to get somebody to take him seriously."
Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum also had some choice words for Paul on the campaign trail.
On Tuesday, he described Paul as an unproductive member of Congress who is "left of Barack Obama" on national security.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry also said Tuesday that voters don't have to pick a candidate who would allow Iran to wipe Israel off the earth -- a reference to Paul's opposition to intervention regarding Iran's nuclear program.
"You don't have to stand for that," Perry said.
"I have all the respect in the world for the front-runners," he added.
The campaign trail tone toward Paul marks a turnaround from just a few weeks ago, when at an ABC News debate, Paul's opponents cited him as a positive example when asked to name something they had learned from the other candidates.
Perry thanked Paul for bringing attention to problems with the Federal Reserve and monetary policy.
"Congressman Paul is the individual on the stage that got me most interested in a subject that I found to be quite interesting, and at the root of a lot of the problems that we have, and I thank you for that," Perry said at the time.
Romney also praised Paul for his ability to generate a loyal following.
"He ignites an enthusiasm with a number of people that's very exciting to watch," Romney said.
By the next debate, sponsored by Fox News, the goodwill seemed to dissipate, as Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann ripped into Paul over his foreign policy views.
As Paul rises in the Iowa polls, the candidates have even less reason to be gracious toward him.
The RealClearPolitics average of recent polls shows Paul leading the field in Iowa by about 2 percentage points. Recent polls generally have him trading the lead with Romney -- while Gingrich, who used to maintain a double-digit lead in Iowa, falls back to third place.
Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics, suggested the dynamic in the Iowa race is becoming clear.
"You've got a battle for first place between just two candidates -- Romney and Ron Paul," he said Wednesday on Fox News.
Most of the GOP candidates are now aggressively courting Iowa caucus-goers. Paul is set to travel from a town hall in Newton, Iowa, on Wednesday to a set of stops in Des Moines before the end of the day.
Paul also has a slick new TV ad out in Iowa and New Hampshire that assails the "Washington machine" while casting Paul as the race's "consistent" and "incorruptible" candidate.
Without naming names, the ad says "serial hypocrites and flip-floppers can't clean up the mess" in Washington.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/28/surging-in-iowa-ron-paul-takes-turn-as-punching-bag/#ixzz1hwAsWFOz
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Reps gang up against Ron Paul.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:15:47 AM »
That's a good sign, many on this forum have claimed he has no chance but apparently Mitt Obamney, Newt Guncontrolrich and Ricardo "mi amigo" Perry think he does or they wouldn't be attacking him.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
Another good sign is, The Iowa Republican Campaign Chairman has left Bachmann to get behind the Paul camp!The State Senator says he will work hard all the way to the White House!

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
Another good sign is, The Iowa Republican Campaign Chairman has left Bachmann to get behind the Paul camp!The State Senator says he will work hard all the way to the White House!
A second guy from Bachmann went over to the RP camp....Bachmann had a melt down..said RP bribed them, etc.... :'( :'( :'( ... 8)

..TM7

Trying my best to find a news source today on TV that will mention Ron Paul!
It's as scarce as Hens Teeth! Even the ........I had a (leg tingle) Cris Mathews on his show ~ Powder Puff Derby~ "translated" Hard Ball, talked forever about Newt, Mitt, Bachmann,Perry,Huntsman, even talked about the janitor, but for some strange reason he forgot the front runner in Iowa.

I guess the idea here is, if you never mention a name, it will be forgotten!If you do have to mention it, just use it in passing, and bring up some BS that was suppose to have happened back when Betty White was a teenager with pimples. ::)

He's as big a spin doctor as El-Rushblow.Only difference I can see is, he works on the Programed left, while Rush grooms the Programed right.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:05 PM »
Many Christians who have fallen for Ron Paul’s carefully crafted words, often continue to support him because he loves to quote scripture and founders of our nation. For those with discernment, it is clear that he is constantly selectively quoting The Word of God out of context to try to persuade those who cannot see through his games. When called on his views, he will change the subject to try to make it sound like he is for State’s rights and the constitution and carefully avoids where his radical immoral views lead him.

However, in this interview, he has gone too far for even his most devoted followers. Here he challenges even God’s right to view homosexuality as sin. As the word is getting out on this Ron Paul interview attacking God’s view on homosexuality in favor of Ron Paul’s own “complex” perverted view, faithful followers of Christ are showing that they have had enough of his contradictions as they walk away from supporting his campaign. As with all cult followers, once they stop following him, they begin to see all the flaws and contradictions in Ron Paul’s other dogmatic arguments.  Some might continue to follow him no matter what, but for faithful Christians, the choice has been made clearer than ever, since Ron Paul believes his own views trump even God’s  law of Royal Love.

Complete article and audio recording of interview with Paul;
http://patriotstatesman.com/2011/06/ron-pauls-homosexual-surprise-causes-exodus-of-faithful-followers-of-christ/
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
Can't understand why the Republicans even allow him on the ticket.  He is not a Republican, he is a Liberaterian.  So why should he expect support from the Republican party?  His views on foreign policy and isolationism goes too far, and will not work in todays world.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »
Absolutely. BaMitt Obromney or Newtrack Gingbama woould make much better choices than Ron Paul.

Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
SADDLEBUM. Thanks for the link, I didn't know that, he stuck his foot in his mouth AGAIN. I saw him on leno the other night and he sounded like he didn't think we needed laws for anything. His views on queers brought applause from the perverts in the audience. There were several other issues that he stated the opposite of what I'd been led to believe. Not sure Who I'll vote for now. Til I saw him on leno I was behind him but saw him as just another politician telling folks what they wanted to hear. My 1st choice now I believe would be, don't know. I was very disappointed in him the other night catering to the perverts and other libs in the audience. I wish he had shut up and let his son run now. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
On the law to prevent transporting underage girls across state lines for abortions without parental consent, RP voted 'no'
on the law to prevent frivolous lawsuits by mayors against gun makers, RP voted no.
on the resolution to stop earmarks/pork, all the democrats and four republicans ignored it. RP was one of the four republicans.
RP stated that he wanted to return to the gold standard, great.  but then he said that he didn't believe there was ANY gold left in fort knox or the fed.
I can't stand him, but, if he's the nominee, I'll support him. he's better than BHO
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline powderman

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
Another subject that got him a big applause was from the dopers when he stated his basic approval of drug use. I'm through with him. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
Can't understand why the Republicans even allow him on the ticket.  He is not a Republican, he is a Liberaterian.  So why should he expect support from the Republican party?  His views on foreign policy and isolationism goes too far, and will not work in todays world.

**************************************************************************************************

Could it be because he's an elected Republican Congressman from Texas?
As far as him being Libertarian, the Republican party includes fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, neoconservatives, moderates, and libertarians. Prior to the formation of the conservative coalition, which helped realign the Democratic and Republican party ideologies in the mid-1960s, the party historically advocated classical liberalism, paleoconservatism, and progressivism.

Ronald Reagan promised to make federal government smaller – known as "New Federalism". Reagan believed that local governments knew what their community wanted more than Washington and he pushed for a development in the powers of local government.Paul is pushing for the same thing.Most on the forum would agree that Reagan was a Conservative, and after being a Democrat became a Republican.

By the way!..........The Bush's were anything but Conservative. They loved big government.
WORLD GOVERNMENT!
Here is a copy of the Republican Creed
What part of this would exclude Ron Paul?
I believe that free enterprise and encouragement of individual initiative and incentive have given this nation an economic system second to none.A Paul goal.

I believe that sound money policy should be our goal.......(Paul is the only one who would like to end the fed)

I believe in equal rights and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, age, sex or national origin. I believe that persons with disabilities should be afforded equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunities as well.........I think Paul gets an A+ here!

I believe we must retain those principles worth retaining, yet always be receptive to new ideas with an outlook broad enough to accommodate thoughtful change and varying points of view......... No problem for Paul here.

I believe that Americans value and should preserve their feeling of national strength and pride, and at the same time share with people everywhere a desire for peace and freedom and the extension of human rights throughout the world......What better way than minding our own business?......... No sticking our noses into other's affairs.

Perhaps I'm missing something! I see him as a poster candidate for the GOP.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
The majority of mainstream Republicans need to definitively decide one way or the other this election  Do they want big Fed Govt regulating everything in their life from morals and values etc.. or do they want people to start taking responsibility for themselves.

Romney and Gingrich pretend they are conservatives but they are not.

Ron Paul advocates the latter, to limit Fed Govt and let states and states citizens decide for themselves.

Mainstream republicans will have to choose which will it be.

- JMHO
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
On the law to prevent transporting underage girls across state lines for abortions without parental consent, RP voted 'no'
on the law to prevent frivolous lawsuits by mayors against gun makers, RP voted no.
on the resolution to stop earmarks/pork, all the democrats and four republicans ignored it. RP was one of the four republicans.
RP stated that he wanted to return to the gold standard, great.  but then he said that he didn't believe there was ANY gold left in fort knox or the fed.
I can't stand him, but, if he's the nominee, I'll support him. he's better than BHO

Looks like a good friend of the gun owner to me!

Paul adopted the Republican Liberty Caucus Position Statement: 
  • As adopted by the General Membership of the Republican Liberty Caucus at its Biannual Meeting held December 8, 2000.
  • WHEREAS libertarian Republicans believe in limited government, individual freedom and personal responsibility;
  • WHEREAS we believe that government has no money nor power not derived from the consent of the people;
  • WHEREAS we believe that people have the right to keep the fruits of their labor; and
  • WHEREAS we believe in upholding the US Constitution as the supreme law of the land;
  • BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Liberty Caucus endorses the following [among its] principles:
  • Every American has the right to keep and bear arms. We affirm our support for the second amendment of the US Constitution.
  • All people, regardless of position in the public or private sector, should be held equally accountable under the law.
  • The *only* litmus test for Supreme Court or other judges should be their determination to accurately interpret, not amend, the Constitution. Judges have *no* authority to make new law.
Source: Republican Liberty Caucus Position Statement 00-RLC6 on Dec 8, 2000

Rated A by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record.
Paul scores A by NRA on pro-gun rights policies  While widely recognized today as a major political force and as America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has, since its inception, been the premier firearms education organization in the world. But our successes would not be possible without the tireless efforts and countless hours of service our nearly three million members have given to champion Second Amendment rights and support NRA programs.
 The following ratings are based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionaire sent to all Congressional candidates; the NRA assigned a letter grade (with A+ being the highest and F being the lowest).
Source: NRA website 02n-NRA on Dec 31, 2003

Sponsored bill against United Nations taxation on firearms.
Paul sponsored against United Nations taxation on firearms  OFFICIAL CONGRESSIONAL SUMMARY: Prohibits appropriated funds from being used by any US official to promote any action by the UN which advocates the taxation of firearms or any other abrogation of rights under the Second Amendment to the Constitution. Condemns all proposals to tax or otherwise limit rights under the Second Amendment.
SPONSOR'S INTRODUCTORY REMARKS: Rep. PAUL: This legislation prohibits taxpayer support of any UN actions that could in any way infringe on the Second Amendment. The bill also expresses the sense of Congress that proposals to tax, or otherwise limit, the right to keep and bear arms are "reprehensible and deserving of condemnation."
Over the past decade, the UN has waged a campaign to undermine the right to keep and bear arms, which is protected by the Second Amendment of the US Constitution. UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has called on members of the Security Council to "tackle" the proliferation and "easy availability" of small arms and light weapons. Just this June, the UN tried to "tackle" gun rights by sponsoring a "Week of Action Against Small Arms." Of course, by small arms, the UN really means all privately owned firearms.
Contrary to the UN propaganda, the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right and, according to the drafters of the Constitution, the guardian of every other right. Many victims of tyranny were first disarmed by their governments. If the UN is successful in implementing a global regime of gun control, then more innocent lives will be lost to public (and private) criminals. I would remind my colleagues that policies prohibiting the private ownership of firearms were strongly supported by tyrants such as Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Tse-Tong. Global gun control is a recipe for global tyranny and a threat to the safety of all law-abiding persons.
LEGISLATIVE OUTCOME:Referred to House Committee on International Relations; never came to a vote.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 07:03:46 AM »
Another subject that got him a big applause was from the dopers when he stated his basic approval of drug use. I'm through with him. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(
I totally agree with you.  I had a chat with our niece yesterday "TBI agent" who said killings are 90% drug related and 10% domestic.  RP wants to legalize even the hard stuff.  bad idea.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
I totally agree with you.  I had a chat with our niece yesterday "TBI agent" who said killings are 90% drug related and 10% domestic.  RP wants to legalize even the hard stuff.  bad idea.

Read this article..............You might take note that Alcohol is included in your figures, and GUESS WHAT? It's legal :o
These stats you get from Government agencies can be very misleading.
Ron Paul thinks it's wrong to incarcerate people who do harm only to themselves.THINK ABOUT IT! Who benefits from this? Not you!.......Not me!

When someone commits a crime the punishment should fit the crime period! A drunk or doped killer is no better or worse than a sober or clean one. Ron Paul is not in favor of someone using mind altering drugs, Unless prescribed by a Dr. He is against Government telling you and I what to put in our bodies.You cannot stop it by force.........Thats apparent! So why waste our time and resources trying? If someone commits a crime against society.......Convict and punish them for the crime. Quit using these lame excuses for the war on drugs. It's really a war on the tax payer's wallet. And they are winning that one.
http://www.sheldensays.com/Com_sixty_four.htm