Author Topic: Bought it for a hunt. having problems  (Read 1120 times)

Offline longhorn717

• Trade Count: (0)
Bought it for a hunt. having problems
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
Got a 30-06 Handi Rifle with a big scope on top(cheapo that broke) I like the rifle it shoots well. Just would like some answers on some questions I had with it.

What can be done about the scope mount? looks like the front just rests on a set screw and can be adjusted side to side with set screws? would like to make it more solid once I get it straightened out. or are there after-market bases I should look at?

What rings are some of y'all using? the rings I have don't seem very substantial.

Do any of y'all use rubber on you rings/mounts to reduce vibration? I read in here that someone was using a rubber ring on the fore-end after removing some wood to float the barrel and reduce vibrations...is this effective?

Is my scope a 71 or an 07? it has HX 279830 as the SN and the barrel says SB2. Barrel has 830 on the left side under the chamber but it looks freshly inscribed. I saw a sticky on the FAQ that had the dates but there were two different X's shown and neither had a two letter code.

Is there a conversion to an ejector or a modification to the extractor? it really sucks right now.

I don't know alot about these guns but I do like it and would like to make a little better suited to me. Thanks in advance for any help and insight into my problems thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bought it for a hunt. having problems
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:13 AM »
What can be done about the scope mount? looks like the front just rests on a set screw and can be adjusted side to side with set screws? would like to make it more solid once I get it straightened out. or are there after-market bases I should look at?

Welcome!  Sounds like that's an Ultra mount which was discontinued, the vertical screw is intended to be adjusted so it's .0015" off the barrel and is there just for support on large scopes, the side set screws are just to lock the vertical set screw in place.

What rings are some of y'all using? the rings I have don't seem very substantial.

Quality rings that are just high enough for the scope to clear the hammer, I trim the hammer spur tip above the extension to be able to use low or medium Burris Zee rings, scope choice is important here since many have large power rings/ocular bells which require high or even extra high rings.

Is my scope rifle a 71 or an 07? it has HX 279830 as the SN and the barrel says SB2. Barrel has 830 on the left side under the chamber but it looks freshly inscribed. I saw a sticky on the FAQ that had the dates but there were two different X's shown and neither had a two letter code.

It's a 2007, read the info again, you missed the part about the first letter of a two letter prefix starting with H or N.

Is there a conversion to an ejector or a modification to the extractor?

Yes, but H&R doesn't do it, can be done yourself if you have the skill and tools, or a gunsmith could do it, it requires the underlug to be machined to accept the ejector parts, see the FAQs on that and a lot more of your questions which are answered there.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline longhorn717

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
I did some looking before posting. I know how irritating it can be when people ask questions that they could easily find. Just trying to get some tips from members experiences on here. Do you know a ballpark estimate of how much that ejector job would be?

Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »
Those I've done were just for the cost of the parts and shipping, a smith would probably charge $75-$150 for the work, rimless chamberings require more work than rimmed, Numrich should have the parts.

Tim

Offline longhorn717

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
Asked my local smith about that ejector and at first he told me "they only made those in extractor". Then when I corrected him he told me "son it would cost more than you have in that gun." Anyone know of a gunsmith in the central texas/san antonio area that could do this?

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
See extractor - ejector mods in the FAQs.  Figure on getting a little more length on the extractor.  If you want an ejector, just sell your extractor barrel an get an older ejector barrel.  There's an ejector one on the classifieds right now.

Alot of Handi shooters don't like the ejector for rimless calibers, preferring the extractor.  It can be real quirky and reputed to fail to eject if the case sticks even a little.  Just fyi. 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
As rdlange said, it's a lot easier and cheaper to trade or sell it.  It would be different if it were a custom chambering.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
I've got both extractor and ejector barrels and I use either one and the way I look at it is if it shoots good I don't care about how it ejects.

I concentrate more on the one shot, and so it might take a little longer to extract the casing it's not a deal breaker.

I've been down that road with the gunshops in my area also, since they deal mostly with warranty work and custom builds, and their time is too valuable, and they would rather take a longer coffee break than work on a Handi Rifle.   A slight case of arrogance to boot, so that is why I depend heavily on the FAQ's on this forum and just accept the fact that these aren't high dollar guns, and if you mess up, (which is hard to do) or you just don't trust yourself, you can always sell the barrel or trade it off like it was suggested.

Be warned that trading or buying another used barrel isn't a guarantee that it will fit your frame, and may or may not need to be shimmed which in that case opens a whole new can of worms if you aren't a little bit mechanically inclined.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline longhorn717

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
Yea I've considered adding a couple barrels and am interested in gettin one or two with the ejector already on it. Mine fits up like a dream. I love the idea of a good working ejector but am coming to understand that the one on the handis is problamatic at best. I have read up on the FAQ's but the one labeled extractor to ejector only seems to cover the opposite conversion. If I could just get some more travel on my extractor I'd take that. I'll take another look through the FAQ's.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49:19 AM »
Both conversions are covered in the the FAQs, they are similar, but use different parts and the underlug cutout is located further back, also  rimless chamberings require additional parts and machining, see RIMMED TO RIMLESS EJECTOR CONVERSION.  ;)

You can increase the travel of the extractor a little by adding a shim to the end of it, not much tho. IMO, the best option is the modified extractor in which an ejector is used in conjunction with a small spring between the cam and ejector which will provide a lot more travel, the only machining that needs to be done is a new hole drilled for the rear pin which limit travel, and the ejector has to be machined to accept the extractor leaf spring.

Tim

EXTRACTOR TO EJECTOR CONVERSION

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,111783.msg1098343569.html#msg1098343569