Author Topic: Working up that new load  (Read 427 times)

Offline stxhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Working up that new load
« on: December 31, 2011, 06:49:33 AM »
So you have that new load in mind. You have load data for the cartridge and powder but not the bullet style you want to use. The main concern is the OAL. You are using this load in a semi auto so OAL must stay short enough to operate through the magazine. Is there a formula, or website, than can be used to check your best guess? Or must you rely on the" go slow and check for pressure signs" method ? Would to play it on the safe side but want to develop the loads I want.
Thanks guys!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Working up that new load
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »
"but not the bullet style you want to use"

OK, it gets a little scary there. I understand what you want to do and I think many have done just that, but you have to do it with limits, know what I mean?

Some bullet designs are pretty close, like I'm pretty confident swapping data with most Full Metal Jacket bullets.
 But with others there is a huge difference, especially with hunting bullets and the OAL as you mention, the ogive or curve of the bullet can vary widely.

Most books will list a sammi recommended over all length.

What caliber/gun and bullet are you thinking of trying, and with what data?

found elsewhere

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply necchi! I am loading for the 300 blackout in an AR style rifle. The Noveske barrel I am using has a LOT of freebore. I am loading mostly 110 to 125 grain bullets supersonic. It would be almost impossible to reach the lands with those bullets. I am using some sierra hangun data as well as Hodgon and Western powders load info. Some of the info is for the 300 whisper as well as the 300 blk. My concern is when you go from a flat base design to a semi boatail type of bullet. It is my understanding that moving a bullet further from a powder charge might lower pressure while moving it closer may increase. My concern is just how much. I also hear that it is sometimes better to have a fuller case than a case with to much airspace. I use h110, lil gun, A1680, and am trying N110 powders.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
I don't understand how you can have "load data... but not for the bullet style you want to use". Load data, and safety, is determined by the relationship between all the components, ie.; brass, primer, powder, powder charge, bullet style and weight. Changes in bullet style and/or weight can change the whole load recipe.

My method is to decide what I want my gun to do, research loading manuals and determine a load (all the aspects of that load; primer, powder & charge, and seating depth or OAL), then buy components. I've been successfully reloading this way for a few years (25+)

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
As of right now there are not any manuals with 300 blk load data as it is a pretty new round. There is a fair amount for the 300 whisper which will work. Some powder companies have limited powder bullet configs for the 300 blk. Some newer manuals will have more available loads but in the meantime one has to gather what they can off the internet and that is not always safe either. So as many have done, some degree of expermintation happens. Just wanting to see if there is a program out there you can put your info in and get it checked for safety.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
with the 300 ACC Blackout/.300 Whisper you are going to be limited by the magazine..unless you intend to load it as a single shot.Only loads that fall with the COL that fits your mag will work.  I have loaded for a .300Whisper in a Contender for about 10 yrs.  Its pretty forgiving.  Most powders that are useful for the .300 Blackout are going to fill your case with the correct charge.  My favorite two are H-110 and Enforcer.  From all that I have read the main difference between the two is the free bore you mentioned

the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
Right on about the OAL for the mag spinafish. I have great accuracy with the Hornady V max 110 gr. with 19.3 gr of h110 powder. The only thing I have noticed is that the h110 will open up groups in colder weather. Still under MOA though which is really good for my shootin! I am going to try some Viht N 110 which I have heard is more stable in all weather and maybe has an edge on accuracy. Only thing is it is a tube powder and takes up a lot of case. But you may have already tried it. From what I have read the 300 blk shoots fine with a long jump to the lands with lighter bullets. It seems to be true. Thanks for the post! :)

Offline spinafish

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
I have not tried any of the V powders..but have heard good results from folks who have..If you every want a whitetail load use the 125 Ballistic tip w/H110.
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »
Have tried that load. 1 3/8 in. groups average. Not bad but would like to tighten it up a bit. Will see how the N110 works out.

Offline spinafish

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
still minute of whitetail!!

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
Ya got that right! I will not shot one past 150yd with that round anyway.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
I think your on the right path stx. I've used powders for caliber and bullets that are not listed for that particular bullet. Unlike mdi, I realize that the listed tests by all the bullet and powder makers simply can't or don't test every powder for every bullet.

Is there a formula, or website, than can be used to check your best guess?
Nothing free of cost that I know of, there's the program "Quickload" that many use, but it's a $$$ software program. http://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html
Or must you rely on the" go slow and check for pressure signs" method ?
That's the way I do it.

Would to play it on the safe side but want to develop the loads I want.
Again, by searching several sources and using powders that are indeed listed or popular for the caliber and bullet weight I have little trouble trying to work a load for my bullet choice.
 I have comparators for checking where the bullet actually seats at the lands for max and start at Sammi Cartridge OAL measurements and a charge low enough to be in the safe range. I usually find the load it likes at sammi seating then move out in increments looking for better groups, if it does indeed tighten up I might go back to the charge in tiny increments ( +/- one tenth) to see if there's further improvement

Ya know, your answers and goals are correct here, and what I said above doesn't automatically mean that every powder out there can be used with every caliber and every bullet. I've seen guy's come onto  forums asking if the can use pistol and shotgun powders in a 30-06 and ask how much they should use
found elsewhere

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 05:39:41 AM »
Thanks necchi. Yeah, that quickload looks nice but a tad expensive for me. I guess it is cheaper than damaging a $2000.00 gun!!  lol... Go slow a play it safe is on the menue for me. The problem I have is finding a hunting bullet that will expand at 2100 to 2300 fps. A lot of target loads and subsonic loads available, but a good hunting load is a little harder to come by. To the drawing board! Thanks

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 05:47:04 AM »
have you found this place yet? http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/
found elsewhere

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 05:48:28 AM »
Yessir! Got that one.