Author Topic: HUNTSMAN, WHAT ARE PRIMER CARRIERS  (Read 1388 times)

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
HUNTSMAN, WHAT ARE PRIMER CARRIERS
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »
WHAT ARE PRIMER CARRIERS AND ANY PICTURES, CAN THEY BE CHANGED TO 209 IGNITION, THANKS IN ADVANCE, JIM
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: HUNTSMAN, WHAT ARE PRIMER CARRIERS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:35 AM »
See link below for what primer carriers look like. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266367519

You can get them cheaper if you look around, on GB, I think I saw them for sale at $9.95 per pack, also you can purchase them direct from H&R.  quick has the part number, I think it was for $3 per pack which is a lot better than the above price.  See link below:

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,216943.0.html

The primer carriers use 209 primers.  I'm not sure if that answered your question. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »
can they be switched to not use the carriers and just the 209 primers, I see the new barrels that you can order have the carriers, you would think they would have converted by now
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
can they be switched to not use the carriers and just the 209 primers, I see the new barrels that you can order have the carriers, you would think they would have converted by now

Yes, you can either buy/make a custom breech plug, or buy an aftermarket breech plug.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
The answer is yes.  Check out this thread.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,245957.0.html

Contact info is in the sticky's.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
I prefer the carriers . I have arthritis in my fingers and it makes it easier to prime with them . If you see the tab on the primer , you can tell that it's live .
Semper Fi !

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
Good point.  As we get older, that may become an issue for many of us.  I've changed out both my breech plugs to the unmentionable manufacturer, but I guess I'll hold on to the OEM and the carriers just in case....

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:52:22 AM »
I prefer the carriers . I have arthritis in my fingers and it makes it easier to prime with them . If you see the tab on the primer , you can tell that it's live .

Get yourself one of these and you'll never have a problem capping a Huntsman/Sidekick with a bare primer again. T/C made/marketed these things and they work great for 209 primers or .25 ACP, unfortunately I am sure they have been discontinued, because they are no longer on their website. There must be some still left out there in some small shops someplace?

I call mine the Inject-O-Matic. ;)

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »
hmmm.  Gonna have to build one of those guys.  First thing that pops into my mind is potential issues with  pushing a syringe plunger against a stack of 209 primers.  Maybe some disposable tagboard discs at 1/4" diameter between each primer?   Brass and wood rather than plastic, except for that red condom thing (which I have a few of around the shop).