Author Topic: Another boring range day with the 45-70!  (Read 679 times)

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Another boring range day with the 45-70!
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
I wanted to celebrate New Years eve today and took about three of my 45-70 load combinations to the range and to mainly try out or see if there was any effect on my shooting after the throating job I did on the chamber.

I rented the reamer from here last week and throated my shallow bore to just enough so as I could set my COL so I could be just off the lands with my 405 grain jacketed bullet, and still seat the bullet on the cannalure groove.

I also loaded some 350 grain Hornady's over my same load of IMR4198 pushing them at around 1400 ft. per sec.  with the results being three shot groups of less than an inch at 100 yards but with slightly different POI between the 350's and the 405's which was anticipated.

Results were that the 45-70 is still as boring as usual to shoot into those tight little groups no matter how I load it, and the throat job just seemed to make it a little better, or I was just having a good day, which I was!

Happy New Year to all!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Re: Another boring range day with the 45-70!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
I love my 45-70, I'd sell every other gun I have to buy more of them.

I may have to rent that reamer myself.

Offline KIMBER45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
Now keep increasing the distance for even more fun.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:36:29 AM »
Now keep increasing the distance for even more fun.

I hear ya!

I would love to do that, but nowdays my eyesight just won't let me take those long range shots at game with confidence like I used to, and the big bore rifle will just about gaurantee a very short tracking job if any at all, and the massive blood trail it opens up a blind man can follow.

Oh wait, that's me!  ;D
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »
Providing you don't 'kill' that hickory sprout inbetween. ;) ;) ;)   On the other hand it really roots the sprouts if you get a good hit on them.  Which is good as they don't leave much of a blood trail.

RJ

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:05:09 AM »
Yep, that's why I shoot bigger and slower nowdays. ;)

I can't see them little sprouts as well that may be in between me and the game, and I just hope that 400 grainer will somehow push them smaller diameter ones aside.

So far I've been lucky!

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:56:38 AM »
I used to shoot my 45/70's as hot or fast as i could, my favorite load being the Remington 405 Fp with 50.0 grs of RL7 for 1900 fps, makes large holes in the critters i like shooting including deer, I also got tired of buying bullets both jacketed and cast so i got into casting big bullets for my Handi's and Springfield 1873's. Very relaxing and i like shooting the 500 gr and up bullets. It might make for a boring day at the range, but i love it...JimP.