Author Topic: Michigan Varmint Hunters, great prices on .223 & .22-250 camo Handi's  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Even A Blind Squirrel Finds A Nut............................Every Now And Then!

I don't normally shop in Dick's Sporting Goods, but I received a gift card for Christmas that I wanted to use. I was in checking out things when I looked up in the gun rack and spotted a lonely looking New sythetic stocked Real Tree APG camo stocked Handi that instantly caught my eye. I guess it is a Handiholic thing? I couldn't get a clerk fast enough when I spotted the price tag of $149.97, regular price $399.99!

I asked the clerk what caliber it was, and he said he thought it was a .243 Win. Not my first choice in calibers, as I have a .223 Ultra Varmint for 'yotes, chucks, crows, and other vermin. But for the price I was going to buy it regardless, and asked him to pull it down for me. Upon closer inspection, I immediately noticed it was a .308 Win, not a .243 Win, and the tag said it included a scope. I knew the scope would not be much, as they usually never are in these package deals, but I would have gladly have paid that for the rifle without the scope. The scope is a generic 4-12x40 that does not look ot bad, but will more than likely get replaced by a Leupold shortly. The fact that it was a .308, a caliber that I always wanted, as I have no center fire deer rifle. I hunt deer 90% of the time with muzzleloading rifles, of which I have plenty, and shotguns the other 10% of the time.

I was figuring out how many H&R/NEF Rifles, muzzleloaders, and shotguns, and the total is now 11. Very fitting for the year 2011 I think, and I just may add one more each year from here on. That way I will always be able to know just how many I have without having to go open the safes. I guess for a Handiholic, this would all make sense. ;D

If anyone has any factory loads that work well in these rifles, I would appreciate any information. I would also like to know if they favor the 150 gr bullets or the 180 gr bullets more. I did buy some Federal Power Shock in both weights for something to start with.

Here is the latest addition to the Handi Family, it locks up tighter than the vault at Fort Knox, and it handles much nicer than I thought it would.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Even A Blind Squirrel Finds A Nut...............................
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
Good find! Where is the store located? There may be others interested in finding such a deal as you have.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
Good find! Where is the store located? There may be others interested in finding such a deal as you have.

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny,

I already checked that out, nothing else left. :'(  These were the Dick's exclusive rifles that were popular a couple years back, and they are no longer available. I think the other caliber was .223 Win, IIRC. Trust me, I would have bought them all, and shared, had there been any more of them. I even had the clerk check other stores in the area, and I called even more when I got home. Nothing! The box had 3 different clearance stickers on it, and I can't believe it didn't sell before now. The scope was in the box, not on the gun. Then again, it might have been in the back, and they just put it on the rack? The rifle doesn't have any rack rash on it at all, it looks like it just came out of the box. The first clearance sticker said Original $399.99 - $299.99, then $199.99, then $149.97. Unbelievable!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Mike38

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:19 PM »
Why don't I ever find deals like that?  :'(

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
busta, you done real good.. ;D 
after you shoot-up that ammp, go get you some factory loadings
in 165-168gr bullets. the .308 seems to like that bullet.
you stole that gun man !! 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »
When did you pick it up. I have my eye on one at a dicks by me but it was marked 199. i know there tags are often wrong but the guy didnt have his scanner. I will need to go today and pick it up. Is is a new year might as well start it on the rite foot.

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:17:43 AM »
Great find! I came across one just like it a few months back for $50 more than that and took it home with me.

Dick's does really mark 'em down when they decide its time for them to go.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:54:16 AM »
Busta, both my .308s like 168 gr. Winchester  Supreme BT ballistic tips for factory ammo.  Very accurate, consistent and reliable.  I handload Hornady 165 gr. Boat Tail Ballistic tips with the same results.  I forget what the powder and grs. are, but I can check for you if you need it.  I ran the factory stuff through the chrony and duplicated the load.

I just a reminder, you can go to prison for grand theft, Handi ::) ::)   Congrats Buddy, and Happy New Year.

Pete 
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »
What a deal, that was a steal! Nuff said. ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 06:47:21 AM »
BTW, I forgot to ask; What does this have to do with a "Blind Squirrel Finding A Nut????????"
I was actually looking for a photo of a blind squirrel. ;) ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 06:56:13 AM »
I bought one those a couple years ago first thing I did was replace the scope. It shot 1.5" outtta the box with Rem green box 150gr. The Dick's SG exclusives were chambered in 223, 22-250, and 308. That's a killer deal you got, Think I'll go check the Dick's near me.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 07:03:46 AM »
When did you pick it up. I have my eye on one at a dicks by me but it was marked 199. i know there tags are often wrong but the guy didnt have his scanner. I will need to go today and pick it up. Is is a new year might as well start it on the rite foot.

Deerhunther#1,

I just bought it Friday 12/30/2011, so you might want to check the one you have been eyeing. I can't imagine them ever going lower than $149.97, and just have them scan it to make sure it is still not $199.99.

Anyone else might want to check the stores in your area, there might be a couple more of these gems out ther somewhere?

Happy New Year!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Gendoc and Pete,

Thanks for that information on the 165-168 grain loads, that will be what I try next. I will not shoot this much, but I'll have fun for a while trying to figure out what it likes to eat.

I have never shot a deer with a center fire rifle in my life, but I have killed a pile of them with bows, pistols, shotguns, and especially muzzleloaders. I even lived in the Rifle Zone, Michigans U.P. for 10 years, but bows, pistols, and muzzleloaders were my tools of choice. I have also lived within 5 miles of the L.P. Rifle Zone for most of my life, but have never deer hunted on that side of the line in the L.P. for some unknown reason.

Killing at least one deer (or a Michigan ELK, if I ever draw) with a center fire rifle is on my bucket list. My son just took a job and moved to Wyoming back in September, so I forsee some Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn hunts in my future as well. It would be an honor to do it with a Handi! ;) 

Happy New Year!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
Good find Busta!
My two sons and I have the .308  in Handi`s  and for just whitetail hunting the Winchester PowerPoint 150 grains  do great and you can get good prices on them!
Also Wyoming is a great place to hunt! Been there many times.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »
Good find Busta!
My two sons and I have the .308  in Handi`s  and for just whitetail hunting the Winchester PowerPoint 150 grains  do great and you can get good prices on them!
Also Wyoming is a great place to hunt! Been there many times.

Thanks for that information streak. I am real green when it comes to Center Fire Rifle Ammo, Do you mean Federal Power Point? Or does Winchester have a Power Point ammo as well?

I have hunted bull elk successfully in Colorado, and loved every minute of it. Can't wait to get some hunts in Wyoming. There is also some pretty good Whitetails out there as well. ;D

[EDIT] Sorry streak, I already made a mistake earlier in my post about the Power Points. I thought the Federals I bought 2 days ago were Power Points, but they are Power Shocks. See, I told you I was green when it comes to Center Fire Rifle Ammo. :-[
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
Good for you Busta!!!

The 308 is a wonderful handi!  I made mine better by having Larry turn a rim in it and shoot 307 AND 308s from it!!

Let us know how it shoots!!  LOVE then camo syn stocks!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
When I hunt with a .308 in my hands for big game (mule deer and larger), I have a magazine full of 165 Hornady's or Noslers, loaded with either 4895,4064, or Varget. 
The one Wyoming Shirras cow moose that I shot was with an older Federal "Blue Box" 180 gr. factory load.  Not that it was my favorite load, but it was cheap, I'd just moved to Evanston, and my reloading equipment and ammunitioin was still in Cheyenne........
Nice little rifle, and one heckuva price!!!  I don't see 'em used for that money!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
Score!!!!!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 05:48:27 AM »
Well I couldn't pass that deal either just went and got a 308 also. The colledgeville dicks in PA still has a 308spray and 22-250

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:30:27 AM »
FYI. Just got the gun home. I looked at both guns while at the store and both had very little latch play so was a little concerned. Now at home I went to take the forearm off and it is real tight and when off the barrel it wobbles in the receiver. Guess it will be going back to be repaired already.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
I have now called every Dick's SG store in Michigan. I have found one .223 and one .22-250 left, both in different stores in SE Michigan. I thought about buying both and owning the Dick's Exclusive Tri-Fecta, just because they are such a good price. I have decided to pass on these deals to other GB outdoors members, if anyone is interested in either of these rifles let me know by PM and I will give you the information, because I currently have them both on 24 hr hold. If someone is truely interested, I will call back to the stores and release the 24 hr hold to you.

Both of these rifles were on display, and some rack rash may be present. The .22-250 was still marked $199.99, but I had the guy scan it and it came up to $149.97. The .223 was being held pending a NICS check, but the check did not come back or something and was just recently placed back for sale. It has been priced at $149.97, and is was available before I had it placed on 24 hr hold.

If anyone is interested in either of these rifles, just give me a PM, and I will give you the information on location and phone number. I will also release the 24 hr hold and you can either place it on hold, or pass the deal on to another member. If others from other states are interested, I suggest going to Dick's website and printing out a store locations list for your state and start calling.

I will try to check back here later this evening to see if anyone is interested. Dick's can do a 24 hr hold, but if you don't show, it goes back up for sale. If nobody is interested, I may own the Tri-Fecta by tomorrow morning. ;)  Someone please save me from having to go through the 12 step Handiholic Program!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »
busta, you've been round here way longer than most of us.... and i bet you've been through the HHA rehab several times with your experiance in muzzle load'n handi's ;)
you are a relic here and are respected much !!!!!!!!!! ;D
thanks for your offer on the dick's shooters...............no where else would this take place 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline MS Mule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

My .308 Handi is not pickey about ammo at all. She is at her best with 165 gr. Sierra Gameking SP on top of a heavy load of AA2520.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
FYI. Just got the gun home. I looked at both guns while at the store and both had very little latch play so was a little concerned. Now at home I went to take the forearm off and it is real tight and when off the barrel it wobbles in the receiver. Guess it will be going back to be repaired already.

I'd make sure you try closing the action with a bit of force without the forend on, if the forend is real tight on a new firearm, it doesn't help in getting it closed good, the barrel may fit fine, the forend may be the only problem.  ;) I just bought a new 45-70 Talo Trapper, the forend was real tight and appeared the barrel wasn't locking up good, removed the forend and closed the action good and it was fine, the tight forend made it real hard to close.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
Tim the barrel release is all the way up and has little to no wiggle when the barrel is engaged to the receiver. It looks like the latch shelf has even engagement across the entire shelf so the lockup seems fine. The barrel opens fine when the forearm is on but it is harder to get off then i think it should be as i have made my other so as they just stay on the barrel without the screw. When it is off the barrel wobbles in the receiver. Should I try to shoot it and see how it goes or is this something that needs repairing from the factory. None of my others even factory fit barrel have this wobble?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
If it's loose at all after firmly closing the action without the forend on, it needs to go back for repair, I'd call and get a return authorization and shipping label.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
busta, you've been round here way longer than most of us.... and i bet you've been through the HHA rehab several times with your experiance in muzzle load'n handi's ;)
you are a relic here and are respected much !!!!!!!!!! ;D
thanks for your offer on the dick's shooters...............no where else would this take place 8)

Thanks gendoc, but so far I have no takers. Might get expensive tomorrow for me? C'mon guy's, bail me out here. I knew I shouldn't have called. It would be a 5 hr round trip to both places, so I might talk myself out of it yet. It would be much easier if some of the Michigan 'yote hunters would buy a new rifle. These are camo stocked and what better calibers could you ask for than the .223 and .22-250? Someone needs a new rifle! ;)

My .308 Handi is not pickey about ammo at all. She is at her best with 165 gr. Sierra Gameking SP on top of a heavy load of AA2520.

MS Mule,

Thanks for that information, looks like most prefer the 165 grainers.

Tim the barrel release is all the way up and has little to no wiggle when the barrel is engaged to the receiver. It looks like the latch shelf has even engagement across the entire shelf so the lockup seems fine. The barrel opens fine when the forearm is on but it is harder to get off then i think it should be as i have made my other so as they just stay on the barrel without the screw. When it is off the barrel wobbles in the receiver. Should I try to shoot it and see how it goes or is this something that needs repairing from the factory. None of my others even factory fit barrel have this wobble?

Deerhunter#1,

Sorry to hear that your 308 isn't locking up tight. My forearm is real tight also, and touches the barrel on the right side. There is not alot of spare room at the latch, but the lockup is solid with the forend off the rifle. The bad thing about Dick's, is that they sell rifles, they do not take rifles back, and you must send them back to Big Green for any problems after purchase. Good luck with Remington.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
Re: Michigan Varmint Hunters, great prices on .223 & .22-250 camo Handi's
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »
as dissapointing as it is to buy a new gun and have issues with it I can say that big green has taken good care of me on any issues I have had with my handis. That said I still boggles my mind how after test firing the gun they allow this firearm to leave the factory. I am sure Brian has been a big reason for my great service.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:53 AM »
I am not going to be able to go down and pick up those rifles today, and will be releasing the 24 hr hold. This little thing called "work", got in the way. It would be a 5 hour round trip marathon, and just couldn't make the run. They will be available, soon after this post. If you would like either of these rifles, the information is listed below. Good Luck to everyone interested.

.22-250

Dick's Sporting Goods
Highpoint Plaza
21061 Haggerty Road
Novi, MI 48375
248-735-8180

Dick's Sporting Goods
Oakland Plaza
400 John R. Road
Troy, MI 48083
248-577-2879
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
I am not going to be able to go down and pick up those rifles today, and will be releasing the 24 hr hold. This little thing called "work", got in the way. It would be a 5 hour round trip marathon, and just couldn't make the run. They will be available, soon after this post. If you would like either of these rifles, the information is listed below. Good Luck to everyone interested.

.22-250

Dick's Sporting Goods
Highpoint Plaza
21061 Haggerty Road
Novi, MI 48375
248-735-8180

Dick's Sporting Goods
Oakland Plaza
400 John R. Road
Troy, MI 48083
248-577-2879

Busta,

If you really want to pick these guns up, you can ask your local Dick's to have the guns shipped from the Novi, (.22-250) MI. and Troy, (.223) MI. stores to your local Dick's store.  That should save you the five hour round trip.  Not trying to "make" you buy these guns, just trying to help a "handiholic" out. ;) ;D   BTW, I think the idea of a owning a Dick's Exclusive Tri-Fecta is like Tony the Tiger said: Just Greattttttttttttt!!!!