Author Topic: What Powders are you using and why?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Minnesota1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
What Powders are you using and why?
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
I haven't shot my muzzle loader in probably 8 years but I just picked up a ph encore barrel and got the itch to start shooting black powder again.  Back in the day I was using 777 pyrodex pellets.  What are you all using now and why?

Thanks.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: What Powders are you using and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »
I don't use pellets because you can't get best accuracy and they are expensive.  I use real 3f blackpowder or loose Pyrodex in everything.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
i like pyrodex pellets they work good in my omega i gesus i got lucky
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline chefjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
AA5744 smokeless-because its part of the most advanced system you can use,if legal in your area.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
AA5744 smokeless-because its part of the most advanced system you can use,if legal in your area.

Same here, ignites every time. As a reminder, it can only be used in a rifle designed for the AA5744 smokeless powder.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
I use Goex FFF...

It's cheaper, clean up is easy with just tap water, I can measure my charges to get the most accurate groups, ignition is reliable because it has the lowest ignition temp, no crud ring to worry about, I always have a good supply on hand because I shoot flintlocks and shelf life is long if kept in a cool, dry area...

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »

Same here, ignites every time. As a reminder, it can only be used in a rifle designed for the powder.

Cheese

I believe you are talking about a Savage smokeless muzzleloader, not to be confused with a normal blackpower or blackpowder substitue rifle. Newbies beware. Make sure you know what you are loading and don't put any "smokeless powder" in your muzzleloader, or you will get damage to your gun and maybe yourself.

I wish Cheese would have explained that in his post, or at least do an edit.   :)
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »
I haven't shot my muzzle loader in probably 8 years but I just picked up a ph encore barrel and got the itch to start shooting black powder again.  Back in the day I was using 777 pyrodex pellets.  What are you all using now and why?

Thanks.

In the Encore, i'd use Blackhorn209. Zero swabbing between shots, great consistency, powerful, accurate as sin. It IS the best black powder sub on the market. Even even has a waterproof coating on it so it doesn't suck up moisture like the other powders do.

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
Sorry, sure didn't mean to mislead anyone.Definitely,only smokeless powder in arms designed for such.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »

Same here, ignites every time. As a reminder, it can only be used in a rifle designed for the powder.

Cheese

I believe you are talking about a Savage smokeless muzzleloader, not to be confused with a normal blackpower or blackpowder substitue rifle. Newbies beware. Make sure you know what you are loading and don't put any "smokeless powder" in your muzzleloader, or you will get damage to your gun and maybe yourself.

I wish Cheese would have explained that in his post, or at least do an edit.   :)

There are other muzzle loading rifles designed for this powder, other then the Savage, such as custom guns.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
Blackhorn 209,clean burning and no swabbing til the end of the season. I can accually shoot without seeing a big smokescreen through the scope.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
Triple 7 pellets.  Easy clean up, easy loading.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
Agree with Danny and BigBlock - BlackHorn all the way.  Ended all my ignition and cleaning problems.  This is the first year I have shot with confidence knowing deer were going to fall instead of wondering if they might fall.
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 06:48:41 AM »
I mostly use a smokeless powder Savage 10ML II rifle and like the others use Accurate 5744 for sabots.  Even the Savage cannot use smokeless powder for bore sized conicals.

For my CVA rifle I use Blackhorn 209 and have drilled the breech plug flash hole to .035"  BH209 wants an energetic primer and the three with the best track records are the CCI 209M, Winchester W209 and the Federal 209A.  All generally work well but every rifle is an individual so you'll have to see what yours likes best.

Good luck with your search.

Lance

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
Blackhorn 209,clean burning and no swabbing til the end of the season. I can accually shoot without seeing a big smokescreen through the scope.
Danny - You might want to reconsider your statement about "no swabbing".  Check out this thread:

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,248422.0.html

As far as the "big smokescreen" goes, isn't that part of the fun?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
 I use loose Trip 7, seems a bit cleaner and doesn't mess with my sinuses like Pyrodex does.  I would use Blackhorn buy Western told me my Wolverine 209 would not be safe with it. 

Offline Muddly

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 05:52:42 AM »
Swiss black. 3f to be precise. NO ignition issues, legal everywhere,supebly accurate and CONSISTENT, slightly more powerful than Pyro and FAR less corrosive. As long as I can get it , its all I'll ever use!
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
Pyrodex works just fine.  You just clean it up exactly like blackpowder and you'll have no problems.  It  isn't more corrosive or less corrosive, it's just cheaper and easier to find.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
Put another checkmark next to Blackhorn 209. Best powder I've ever used. I've had my Encore out in the pouring rain and still got instant ignition a week later. Cleans up in a minute with regular bore solvent. No more buckets of hot water, black sludge and rotten egg smells. Accurate too, putting 325 grain Leverevolutions into 3 inches @ 200yds. W209 primers and the factory plug drilled to .035.

Offline TRM-1

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
I agree on the Blackhorn powder best thing I have used. 120 grains of blackhorn and a 250 grain shockwave works excellent for me. As for the post earlier about swabbing I haven't had any such problem. I shoot and shoot and shoot some more and I clean up when I get done. I guess if you left the bore dirty after shooting for a extended time that you may have some problems. In my opinion for what it is worth Blackhorn 209 is the best sub you can get!!

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »
Changed to BH 209 for my T/C G-2 in 50 cal. this year.

For 3 years I battled with the 2nd shot in the G-2, it couldn't be loaded ( without cleaning ). Called T/C tech, nothing they told me worked. Dropped down to 44 cal bullets with black sabot, still didn't work well. I tried every powder, pellet & bullet I could get, still nothing worked well. Power Belts would load, but didn't shoot well. Couldn't get any BH 209 last year to try, everyone was sold  out. This year I got my hands on some early and tried it. It worked fantastic. Went back to the .45 cal bullet with yellow sabot, like it was supposed to shoot. The 3rd, 4th & 5th shots all went down with ease in practice and shot very well. BH 209 solved the problem in my G-2.

For my T/C Black Diamond in S/S. It still love 2 Pyrodex pellets with a T/C black sabot w/ 240 gr XTP. When I run out of the pellets I'll probable change it over to BH 209. Hopefully it will shoot as good as it does with the pellets.

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 05:17:56 AM »
I used T7 pellets in my Encore 209x50 rifle & pistol for 5 years and switched to Blackhorn 209 last year. Hate the T7 crude ring and love to BH209. Super clean powder.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
Loose triple 7 in all my muzzle loaders even the side lock percusstion ones. I bought about 10 pounds of the stuff on sale for $6.00 several years a go. Works well in all of them and I do not have an issue with cleaning my rifles and other guns.

:D  Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
BH 209!  No more CRUD rings!  Made shooting my Encore fun again and I haven't ever had it shoot more accurate!  I spit swab after every 5 or so shot, but really don't need to.  Clean with solvent so no more soapy water.  I do miss the big cloud of smoke though.

I put 2 1/2 pounds of 777 in my garden last spring, really did wonders for my pepper plants...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline rick59

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
Loose Pyrodex RS in my smokers, it's never let me down.
Stay Calm, Pick Your Spot.

Offline Ethan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 05:43:15 AM »
I shoot IMR White Hots because they are very clean and by far the cleanest pellets you can shoot. I shoot 2 pellets out of my CVA Staghorn with a QT bullet. I plan on finding a load with the same powder for the TC when it gets here.
"A good man always knows his limitations”

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 06:52:45 AM »
I use BH 209 only and always, because
-there is no practical difference between first and subsequent shots; rifle just shoots 1" groups without problems, wandering groups, swabbing between shots, etc. 777 was not like this. I had to swab exactly the same between shots, the rifle would group well only between shots 6 and 15 or so...even then there would be a flyer; the POI with 777 would differ with moisture/temperature.
-easy loading of sabot/bullet
-no cleaning  needed - no rust

This powder is by far superior to anything on the market. Add the Harvester ribbed sabots, and your MZ becomes a slick machine.