Author Topic: bare minimum needs-not ''wants''FROM WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE  (Read 2675 times)

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: bare minimum needs-not ''wants''FROM WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
My one and only choice would be ................ Now remember this is just for fun..........

Savage 24V 357 Max over 20 ga.with screw in chokes, open express sights with Weaver 1 X Scope . Would cover any and all my hunting needs.

"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline leprecon21

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
my Marlin .22 mag, every one has had a gun that is "MY gun" its been every where and i'm sure i could take any thing up to an elk, the shots go where i want them every time.
270 win handi does every thing else
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:58 PM »
A bolt action .308, 12 guage pump shotgun, 22 rifle, handgun in 9mm or larger and some sort of magazine fed centerfire rifle.  Thats my minumum.

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »
Stevens 22/410- handi 45/70 -ruger service  357 6" figure the 22 410 can put meat in pot rabbits birds and such, 45/70 will take just about anything that breathes, ruger can be loaded down for meat gun or up for deer sized game
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
Me personally I would have to say my Remington 700 ADL 30-06(9 times out of 10 its what I grab), Remington 870, 50 cal muzzleloader, Savage HB 22LR and my Smith&Wesson 3000p slug gun strangely mismarked 1000p.

Dan

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »
  For me it would be my first repeating shotgun I ever owned.  That is a Ithica M 51  12 ga. 3 shot autoloader that I bought new in 1973.  Out of all my guns this has taken the most game by a wide margin. Everything from deer & hogs to doves, ducks and geese and everything a small game and bird hunter could ever need.  I have also shot uncountable rounds of skeet with this gun, so I would say it could do it all for me.                  Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 04:00:03 AM »
I've been watching that TV program of the guy who went to a remote lake in Alaska and built a cabin and lived there for 30 years-the cabin was only 11x14,he had a cache for meat,and from what I could see-one rifle .Not sure what it was but  likely a 30/06.
THATS ''minimum needs''

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 04:05:12 AM »
one of the reasons for posting this thread is while most of us have a number of firearms,we all started out with one or two that we began hunting with,and there's probably some young chaps out there who don't have a lot of money but would like to put some meat on the table for their family -this forum will give them a pretty good idea of what the ''bare minimum'' would be

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 04:10:59 AM »
I'm just a collector and plinker so 'need' don't apply, luckily.  I'll always have guns I haven't shot or won't shoot.

"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Usmcrip

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 04:25:50 AM »
For me I would need my mossberg 930 12ga with 28 in vent rib barrel with Imp cylinder.  This set up has dropped numerous ducks and geese and is a 3" gun with slugs at 75 yards.  Add my .243 and I have all I need.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »
M1 Garand (x2)
.30 M1 carbine (X3)
M4 5.56 (x2), HEAVY VARMINT ar15 (x2), 20" 1-8 twist heavy barrel AR15 flat top
Model 12 Winchester 12 ga.
Model 37 Ithaca 12 and 20 ga.
Model 1100 Remington 12 and 20 ga.
Grand Dad's Model 94 .30-30 rifle
Dad's .375 Big Bore 94 XTR
Model 99 Savage .30-30 carbine
Model 94 Angle Eject .357 Mag.
Marlin Model 95 Cowboy .45-70
Model 70, stainless/synthetic .300 Winchester
Model 70 pre-64 .270
M1903, M1903A3, M1903A4 "Springfields"
Remington 121 .22
Model 69A Winchester .22 (x2)
Marlin 39 TDS .22
All of my S&W revolvers (Model 28 x2, 29, 19 x2, 15, 63, K22, K38 x2)
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP
FN Hi Power 9mm
SA XD .40 S&W
Reloading equipment and components to load at LEAST 2K rounds for each, and have at least 2K rounds loaded for each (some considerably more, i.e. .22 LR @50,000 rounds) + casting/sizing equipment for most all calibers.
The rest of my "stuff", I'd keep for trading stock, or stash for the kids (10 kids, 10 sons and daughters in law, and 28 grandkids, at the moment, plus Mrs. Walton and myself equals 50 people in my IMMEDIATE family).
I consider my "needs" to be quite a bit more than some other folks........

Oh, wait, the above is all a "wish list".  I don't really have all that stuff.  I only have one .30-06, one 12 ga. and one .22 rifle.........yeah, yeah, THAT's the ticket!!!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:23 AM »
Mr. Walton, I like the way you think!

Awesome.

I wish sometimes these posts had the 'Like' button like Facebook, I'd certainly hit the button.  It's great to think of leaving a legacy of firearms to the kids.  Now that I have a 2yo girl I feel like I have to buy two every time I buy one just so she and my son both will inherit several firearms one day.  Hopefully it'll be awhile!

Regards,

Chris.
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 06:10:31 AM »
I've been watching that TV program of the guy who went to a remote lake in Alaska and built a cabin and lived there for 30 years-the cabin was only 11x14,he had a cache for meat,and from what I could see-one rifle .Not sure what it was but  likely a 30/06.
THATS ''minimum needs''

Dick Proenneke carried a sporterized 30-06 Springfield and a 357mag revolver as stated in his book, "One Man's Wilderness".

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »
''sporterized'' 30/06 springfield?-no-surely not-you mean he actually had a ''bubba'd'' milsurp?[I think there are FAR more ''bubba'd'' milsurps around that are STILL putting meat on the table-while the purists eat store bought beef  and look down their noses at them.....
but this is exactly my point-what is the BARE MINIMUM to put meat on the table ,not what we might WANT

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
My first centerfire rifle was a sporterized Springfield .30-06 which had NOT been "Bubba'd".  It came through the mail from Klein's Sporting Goods in 1964.  Mine was $60.  You could get a higher grade Springfield from them for another $20, which one of my buddies on board ship bought.  These had been professionally sporterized, and I sure wish I had it still!   ::)   It came with iron sights and the receiver was drilled & tapped for both a receiver sight and scope mounts.  Like a dumb kid, I sold it a couple of years later and have been kicking myself for doing so since then.  Of course, my ex would probably have ended up with it when we split up so I guess it wasn't such a bad thing after all. ;D

I also bought a Remington Rolling Block in .43 Egyptian through the mail for $7.50 (before the infamous Gun Control Act of 1968 came into being).  Cleaned it up and got a kit from Numrich Arms with a new .444 Marlin barrel, sights, stock and forearm for $40 IIRC.  They had two models, the Buffalo with a heavy octagonal barrel and the Creedmore with a half octagonal, half round barrel.  Mine was the Buffalo model.  It weighed a ton, not what you would carry all day!  I think the barrel was 1 1/4" across the flats.  It fell off the pegs on the cabin wall one day and the stock broke at the wrist.  I didn't want to mess with it any more and gave it to a friend.  Have wanted another rolling block ever since!

-WH-

''sporterized'' 30/06 springfield?-no-surely not-you mean he actually had a ''bubba'd'' milsurp?
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline RIF

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:58 AM »
A 12ga shotgun, a large caliber rifle most likely 30-06, a 22 rifle, a 22 pistol, and a large bore handgun, 357, 45acp or 44 mag.  Those are the bare minimums. 

If I could only grab 2 guns on the way out of the house when the gestapo is coming, I would probably grab a 444 Marlin and a 22 pistol. 

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
28 and counting in the two safes  sadly only two handis so far.

25-06 ADL  shoots like a dream

8mm Remington Mag Classic, most accurate large caliber gun I ever shot

444 in a Win 94
=FLASH=

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
''sporterized'' 30/06 springfield?-no-surely not-you mean he actually had a ''bubba'd'' milsurp?[I think there are FAR more ''bubba'd'' milsurps around that are STILL putting meat on the table-while the purists eat store bought beef  and look down their noses at them.....
but this is exactly my point-what is the BARE MINIMUM to put meat on the table ,not what we might WANT
Proenneke's '03 was most likely a 1903 "Sporter" that the Springfield Armory sold to civilians for years.  Full grip C type sporter stock, Lyman 48 rear sight, and "star gauged" barrel optional.  Those things were serious competition to the new Model 54 and 70 Winchesters and the Remington 30, which was a 'civilianized' M1917 that Remington pushed out on the equipment left over from their WW I '17 Enfield production.  The few originals that I've shot, and the clones I've assembled are seriously accurate, butter smooth, and a delight to carry.
Two of my most accurate rifles are NOT commercial rifles.  One is a Czech VZ33 small ring M98, aka G33/40 after the Germans took over production, still in the original stock, wearing a Leupold M8 4X, that shoots little teeny tiny groups with 200 gr. bullets, and my latest 1903 Sporter 'clone' that puts 220 gr. Noslers into near one hole groups.
Another that I just can't seem to get my hands around, mostly because of a serious allergic reaction to anything from the ComBloc, is those old Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R rifles.  For under a hundred bucks, and some time with a hack saw and a rasp, they make really handy 'behind the seat' truck guns, and are dirt cheap to shoot for a non-reloader type sportsman, and I'd have no problem throwing one into a deep hole in the Snake River if I had to.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
my only rifle when I was a kid was a 303 british[the 303 is to Canada what the 30/06 is to the US]and a that was the ''bare minimum ''for a lot of guys-but it put meat on the table

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »
How bare? I'll say the 300mag Tikka, and the SP- 2340 sig. I'm betting the whole Zombie thing is not real, so hi -cap is not important ( sure hope I'm right on that one ).

That is pretty much how the pile started. A couple of guns to do everything with. 6 or 8 more adds efficiency though.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Okay, thinking about this a little more.  The scenario is that we are going to be down to a bare minimum for some reason, like that we need to sell stuff to pay bills (been there, done that) and the most valuable items we have to sell are guns.  After my last go-around with college I had sold all my guns, truck, everything to get through the last semester.  Once I had a job I needed to get a firearm which would do everything I needed.  I ended up with *TADA!* a Harrington & Richardson 158 combo with .30-30 and 20 ga. barrels.  Cheap (less than $130 in 1982) and versatile since I still had my Lyman 310 tong tool with .30-30 dies.  I could load down for small game or up for anything other than the big bears.

Then again, I met a guy on Prince of Wales Island who had lost everything in a divorce.  He had bicycled to Washington from Seattle, towing a home made trailer for his mountain bike and was camping out in the forest.  He had picked up a 12 ga. Topper which someone had chopped the stock off at the pistol grip.  To make it legal he had fashioned a stock from a chunk of 2x4 - it was the darndest thing I have seen.  I gave him a stock I had so he could at least shoot it.  He used that to get deer and ducks to survive on.

There you have two real situations which I think cover the original poster's question.  Now I'm going to shut down and hit the hay.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
that is basically the reasoning  behind the question-what is the BARE MIMIMUM you could get by with -from your existing gun cabinet and still put meat on the table?-IF YOU HAD TO.[and please-don't tell my wife I posted this....]

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
It is nice that we can have more then one or two guns..... buying guns keeps me from spending all my money on beer or gambling... guns are a investment that hold value..

I lived with only a Coast to Coast, break open shotgun, and a 10 / 22 for the first few year of my marriage ...
@
I'd add a 30-06 and a 357mag revolver...              Dan

Offline keith44

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
Okay, thinking about this a little more.  The scenario is that we are going to be down to a bare minimum for some reason, like that we need to sell stuff to pay bills (been there, done that) and the most valuable items we have to sell are guns.  After my last go-around with college I had sold all my guns, truck, everything to get through the last semester.  Once I had a job I needed to get a firearm which would do everything I needed.  I ended up with *TADA!* a Harrington & Richardson 158 combo with .30-30 and 20 ga. barrels.  Cheap (less than $130 in 1982) and versatile since I still had my Lyman 310 tong tool with .30-30 dies.  I could load down for small game or up for anything other than the big bears.

Then again, I met a guy on Prince of Wales Island who had lost everything in a divorce.  He had bicycled to Washington from Seattle, towing a home made trailer for his mountain bike and was camping out in the forest.  He had picked up a 12 ga. Topper which someone had chopped the stock off at the pistol grip.  To make it legal he had fashioned a stock from a chunk of 2x4 - it was the darndest thing I have seen.  I gave him a stock I had so he could at least shoot it.  He used that to get deer and ducks to survive on.

There you have two real situations which I think cover the original poster's question.  Now I'm going to shut down and hit the hay.

-WH-

under the must be rid of everything to survive financially, well now we're talking a different situation (instead of the usual got to go into the wilderness cause a nuke was dropped or what ever...)  If in a worst case scenerio I was forced to choose but a single weapon from my current holdings it would be...

my

Remington 870 12 ga with 18" cylinder bore barrel, so long as I could also keep my Lee load all

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:42 AM »
I just bought two.22  rifles from an old friend-he is 92 and ,retired from his ranch and over the years divested himself of everything but the bare minimum-which was a remington 700 30/06,a Remington 870 with  an extra barrel,a Marlin 22 magnum and a Nylon 66 .22.He figured that was all he ''needed'',but now he was going to an assisted living home and he couldn't take his guns-he said he felt ''naked'' because this was the first time since he was 16 he hadn't owned a rifle....
...as for me ''needing ''them-I added the two .22's to the dozen I already had-because I ''needed''them

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
That would about do it.

Dan

Offline S.S.

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
I made do with a single shot 20 Ga. for a long time, I would be ashamed of myself if I still couldn't.
taken everything from dove to deer with it, and it has helped me search for several "Boogie Men"
bumping around in the night too.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline BulletBrain

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2012, 04:39:45 AM »
11-87 12 gauge light contour, Mode 700 BDL 300 Win Mag, if I had to get down to one I'd slug it out, all you need is a bead if you get close enough.
12 gauge, 45-70, 450 extreme, 45 colt, 12 huntsman,

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
Bare min could go two ways for me. one would be barest survival mode. that would be a 12 ga shotgun, and a 22 rifle. the other would be lean times. and Ive already lived through that. A drunk driver put me and the wife out of work for over a year.  Without an income we would have lost everything. So we sold guns to pay the bills. First I let the kids pick what they wanted. I was really suprised at what some of them picked. Then we sold what I didnt need. in the end I sold 160 long guns, 40 hand guns, and 5 safes. What I kept was

1 Win 94
1 Sweed Mauser
1 Rem 870
1 1911
2 colt clones
1 Rem SXS 12 ga
1 marlin 94 in 45 colt
1 trap gun
And some family Heirlooms

With those I could still hunt and shoot anything I wanted without feeling under gunned. I still shoot CAS, hunt, and shoot informal clays. Since then Ive replaced a few that I miss, and bought a few to take me in new hunting directions.  So bare Min will mean differant things to differant people. DR

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
Old Prenneke (sp?) had his Springfield '06 and the .357.  I think the book said it was a modified 03, will have ti find the book some time and reread it.  There are only 2 choices for the revolver brand at the time he went in there.  I am betting on 180 or 220 gr soft points for the rifle.  He had little use for the sport hunters across the lake.

You can't argue that a long time Alaska resident in the back country would have just what he needed, no more, no less.  I think I would have wanted a .22, also, but he seemed to have all the small animals more as companions and pets.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you