Author Topic: Accurate cast load for 38 Super  (Read 225 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Accurate cast load for 38 Super
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »
I'm having a ball with my new Taurus PT1911 in 38 Super but I would like to find a accurate cast loading in the 158-160 gn weight range.  I'm trying a variety of bullet configurations, cass (rnfp), swc, rn, and I have most of the name brand cannister powders I have been reloading with for years. 

My older Lyman manual lists a heavier powder charge of Unique for a accuracy loading for the 158/160 gn slug but it is no longer recommended in the newer manuals and the older loading was the accuracy loading for slugs in the 158 gn range. 

This pistol feeds every bullet configuration I can find/load and I have found that slugs sized to .356 and recovered show excellent rifling marks but I am looking for those of you who have 38 Super cast experiences who might be willing to share some load data. 

I usually use Unique and H110 for jacketed loads with the 115 - 125 gn slug and they are just as powerful as they were 25-30 years ago but I would like to know if anyone out there is using any other powders that give both accuracy and velocities in the 1300-1350'/sec range.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Accurate cast load for 38 Super
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
would love to have one of those!!
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis