Author Topic: What are you guys loading for 280 Rem??  (Read 492 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
What are you guys loading for 280 Rem??
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
I bought a TC venture in 280 rem that will shoot 3/4" groups with factory rem core locks.  I haven't been able to come up with a handload that is anywhere close.  Anyone got any good 150gr 280 loads?  I have H4831, H4350, Imr4895 and H414 to work with at this point.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: What are you guys loading for 280 Rem??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
 I have the same problem with a 7-30 Contender! In MY .280 (24") Rem 700, I've used all the powders you listed and others with excellent results. Heavier and lighter bullets too. IF you are not getting decent accuracy,I'd scrub the bore really clean. Then get some fresh brass if you have reloaded yours more than 3-4 times. HOT loads can harden brass quick. Also check your dies to see how close to factory they make your ammo. Then compare factory ammo to fired cases. Your chamber MAY be over sized and stretching the brass. How often is the brass trimmed? I found the top end loads in MY 7-30 need to be slowed down for best accuracy. Maybe you will need to start at the very lowest charges with YOUR gun!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:06:36 AM »
ive owned 3 280s through the years and now have a win featherweight. Every one of those guns loved the 145 speer hot core using 4350. Ive killed a slug of deer with that combo and its allways worked great. Couple other bullets ive had good luck with in it are the 140 sieara and nos bt.
blue lives matter

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
 Kevin, just how BAD are your groups? I once bought a 30-06 that" wouldn't group inside an inch" according to the owner. I shot a couple deer with it at 100 to 150 yards. Another friend paid me what I had in it plus a small profit! Another club member was about to beat his Rem 700 against a steel pole because it was NOT giving him "decent" groups. I cooled him down and found I could pick the gun up by the trigger. We lightened it to about 3 pounds and he was happy with subsequent groups. IF your .280 still shoots factory into 3/4" and handloads into patterns, SOME thing is wrong! Damage to the crown, loose scope/ mounts or other things. With MY 7-30 contender, I was pushing the bullets to hard. Slowed to the velocity of the FACTORY stuff, it was a LOT better.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
My groups are not that bad.  The worst is about 3 inches and the best is about 1 1/2 inches.  both would be fine for deer hunting.  I was just wondering what everyone is usinig for their handloads.  Looking for a more accurate starting place to tune my loads. I just hate it when factory ammo is better. :)    Keep the info coming guys.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
Well I can't answer your question with the bullet weight you want to use but mine loves 140 Accubonds with 58 grains of H4831 and Fed primers.  Actually both the 270's I reload for love the exact same bullet (in .277), powder and charge.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline marked trail

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
The last Oregon deer I took with my 280 Rem was a Columbian whitetail bang-flop at about 60 yards.  My 700 likes 154 grain spire point Hornadys over IMR 4350 with a CCI LR primer.  The load is nothing fancy, but it works well. Come to think of it, my last pronghorn was shot at 270 yards with the same load, which makes it special because I'll need about 15 more years before I can cash in enough preference points to hunt these tough draw species in Oregon again.