Author Topic: Perry vetos anti texting law  (Read 364 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Perry vetos anti texting law
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
What a bunch of crap. Perry says that making texting while driving illegal is government over reach. If that is the case why does he not push for removal of DUI laws, speeding, etc. Makes as much sense.

http://www.liveinsurancenews.com/texas-governor-perry-vetoes-bill-against-texting-behind-the-wheel/853618/

GuzziJohn

Offline Gary G

Re: Perry vetos anti texting law
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
Do you want government telling you when to go to bed and what to wear? It is none of their business. Perry did the right thing. Besides, statistics have shown that anti texting laws have cause more accidents in the cities where they have been enacted. The reason is that people keep the device lower so that law enforcement won't see it. It is just another case of where government meddling has negative consequences, as is usually the case.
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
Quote from Gary G:
"Do you want government telling you when to go to bed and what to wear? It is none of their business. Perry did the right thing. Besides, statistics have shown that anti texting laws have cause more accidents in the cities where they have been enacted. The reason is that people keep the device lower so that law enforcement won't see it. It is just another case of where government meddling has negative consequences, as is usually the case."

You have to be kidding! Studies have shown texting to be eight times more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk. As in my first post, I then must assume that you do not support any DWI laws or any other traffic laws for that matter?
GuzziJohn

Offline Gary G

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Quote from Gary G:
"Do you want government telling you when to go to bed and what to wear? It is none of their business. Perry did the right thing. Besides, statistics have shown that anti texting laws have cause more accidents in the cities where they have been enacted. The reason is that people keep the device lower so that law enforcement won't see it. It is just another case of where government meddling has negative consequences, as is usually the case."

You have to be kidding! Studies have shown texting to be eight times more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk. As in my first post, I then must assume that you do not support any DWI laws or any other traffic laws for that matter?
GuzziJohn

I jest not Guzzi. http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/09/does_banning_texting_while_dri.php
"Researchers at the Highway Loss Data Institute compared rates of collision insurance claims in four states -- California, Louisiana, Minnesota and yours truly -- before and after they enacted texting bans. Crash rates rose in three of the four states after bans were enacted".

DWI too! Studies have shown that while officers are doing traffic stops for drunk drivers more accidents are occurring because they are not patrolling the roads. It takes several to do traffic stops leaving a void on the highways.

There is nothing about liberty that I don't like.
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Perry did the right thing here. I agree texting while driving is dangerous BUT the government has no business sticking their nose in it. The government already has it's nose stuck in every corner of our lives. They dictate and regulate far to many things that should be left up to the individual at hand.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
I believe distracted driving is already illegal.

It is already covered. Do we need a law against eating lobster behind the wheel too. What about sneezing? I can't do that with out closing my eyes, so it should be illegal to drive if you suffer from allergies as well.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:21:13 AM »
Since I drive a little slower than the speed limit, and when as an ambulance driver I had to go gather up some folks who were rear ended on the open road, there being no reason for the accident, and seeing people running over deer in broad daylight in wide open country, I am deathly afraid of people using the cell phone while driving. I quit driving the ambulance when a kid was driving the ambulance and texting for 20 miles one day. 

That said I don't think another law is an answer. Pass another law is always a knee jerk reaction, and often there are unintended consequences. They say drunk driving accidents are way down lately because of education efforts.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:02:45 AM »
If there were specific laws that outlawed every stupid act that humans commit then near 100% of the population would have to be jailed
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?