Author Topic: Help a reloading rookie load for the 7.62x39.  (Read 1169 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Help a reloading rookie load for the 7.62x39.
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
I need some SAFE load suggestions for 7.62x39. Loading for SKS's and AK's. I will be using either Lapua brass or Winchester. Primers will be CCI #34 (hard NATO spec) large rifle. I understand all rifles are unique in what shoots the most accurately from each, however are there any .310/.311 122-125gr. bullets that have proved to be better than others? For some reason all the 7.62x39 bullets that Hornady, Barnes, Lapua, etc make are labled as .310 but folks also say you can use .311 from the .303 British. I understand that the bore is .311 but why don't reloading manuals give loads for the .311????  Also, having a hard time figuring out what powder to use. My one reloading manual (LEE) shows a few loads for the 7.62. However it seems most folks like R7. I can't find any published data on using R7 in the 7.62x39. I would prefer a safe, 2300-2375 fps load using 122-125gr.  bullets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Help a reloading rookie load for the 7.62x39.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
The Alliant loaders guide is available on line free.  Go to their website and verify this load:

23 grains of Reloader 7, with a Speer 123 grain sp, and CCI 200 primer

Please verify this load, do not just take my word for it!  I am not at my computer at this time, and away from my loading manuals
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
AA1680 was the powder the cartridge was designed around and its hard to beat it with anything else.
blue lives matter

Offline LHitchcox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
I am not sure I would invest in high dollar brass for a rifle that flings them into the bushes. I would probably start with Hornady bullets as I have had good success with them in all the calibers I have loaded.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
Keith44- I went to the  Alliant site suggested. Here's what they say-

Speer 123gr. SP, min OAL 2.15", CCI 200, R7 powder, 27 grains (I assume that this is max), 2429 fps from a 22" barrel. If this is a maximum load, what would be a safe starting load to build from? Have no interest in destroying my firearms or harming myself, so I'd prefer to start at a starting load and carefully work my way up from there.

Lloyd Smale- That's an Accurate powder you suggested, right? Bear with me here please.

LHitchcox- I understand your point, but when I could get better Chicom and Russian ammo, my SKS's shot groups half the size they shoot now. All that's out there is commercial Russian ammo that is very inconsistant. Or I suppose I could shell out $30-$50 per box of 20 for CorBon or Lapua.

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
JimG, the rule of thumb I follow when the load data shows only one amount of powderAnd does not say "do not reduce" is to reduce the listed powder charge by 10%

In this case with the charge being 23 grains I would round up and reduce that by 2.5 grains to 20.5 grains for a starting load.  Load no more than 5 and see how they do. With the SKS not only must they be accurate, but they must also generate enough gas to cycle the action fully.
(just one of several reasons I choose not to load for semi autos)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
yup the powder is from accurate arms. I also like the hornady vmax. Nothing shoots as well in both my ar15 and my ruger bolt. Many dont recomend that bullet for hunting but ive killed a couple does with it and its done fine for me.
blue lives matter

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:03:56 AM »
Like said all rifles shoot different,with my mini (181 series)I tried alot of different powders with the best for mine was imr 4198,speer 150gr (.310)sp,cci200

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »
I have two SKS rifles a 1970 Yugo M59/66A1 refurb and a 1965 Chinese /26\ I bought NIB several years ago.  I shoot a little steel case ammo in them every now and then but the majority of my ammo is hand loads.

I hand load for everything I shoot that takes a primer and the SKS is no exception.  I had full intention of doing so right from the start because in many cases the surplus or commercial ammo is neither consistent or accurate and the SKS is much more accurate than many people give them credit for provided you give it what it likes.

I load jacketed bullet from 123 to 187 gr. as well as cast bullet I cast myself from my Lee 160 gr. TL mold that drops a .313.5 dia. bullet cast from WW alloy.  Both my rifles bores slugged out at .312 they both shoot the .310 dia. 123 gr. J bullet the most accurately but that's not to say that other weight's don't do well,in fact my 150 gr. SP and cast loads will out shoot any commercial or surplus ammo on the market,groups vary from one ragged hole to 1.5" or under provided I do my part.

My powders of choice are Alliant 2400 for cast loads and Reloader #7 for everything else,other powders like AA-1680,IMR or H-4198 and others all work fine as well but I get the best accuracy and bang for the buck with the powders I use as far as MV vs. charge weights.  Reloader #7 works well with cast bullets also a starting load of 18.0 grs. will cycle any SKS rifle with the Lee cast bullet load that 2400 want.   I use Lapua,Winchester and Remington brass,my primers of choice are CCI #34,Wolf LR and Wolf SRM.   All load data for jacketed bullets in 123 gr. weights came for either the Lyman #47 or #48 manual both are  the same.  I used the load data from the Lee 2nd. Edition for 150 gr. jacketed bullets.  Cast bullet date for the Lee .312 dia. bullets using Alliant 2400 came from Ed Harris but load data for those two bullets is available in the new Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4.

My friend that has three Russian SKS rifles ran into that issue with shooting cast bullet using the Ed Harris 2400 load,one cycled fine,one about half the time and one not at all switching to the RL#7 solved that problem with no loss in accuracy in either rifle. Incidentally in my Chinese SKS my Chinese takes 12.5 grs to cycle the bolt reliably each time and it drops the brass right at my feet,MV is just a little over 1400 fps.with that load.  My Yugo require the full charge of 15.0 grs. to cycle MV runs right around 1900 fps. but due to bolt speed the case end up about 15' away,my Chinese will do the same with the Max. load.

If loosing your reloadable brass is an issue there is somewhat of an easy fix to that but it requires a little time and and extra gas tube for your SKS I'll just link to the post instead of explaining it all but basically it amount to bleeding off excess gas pressure to slow down the bolt speed which affect only ejection pattern and distance,http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116018 A couple of my friends have done the mod on spare gas tubes and no more chasing brass around.  Again do this mod on a spare gas tube and not the original.

Some 5 shot 50 yd. groups with each rifle.  The only modification to these rifles other than ammo was replacing the front sight post with the Techsight target post.

Some types of ammo I load.

52 gr. HP Accelerators

Lee 160 gr. gas check cast bullet.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:27:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Points me in the right direction!