Author Topic: current AKs-any better than others?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: current AKs-any better than others?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
Hmmmm, my first M16 was issued to me in '68.  It had been properly maintained; the chamber was not pitted by corrosion and she functioned properly.  When did you have time to clean it when you were in a fire-fight 24/7?  I dunno, I was under seige for 30 days and managed to keep mine clean.  I would see regular Army guys come back into compound dragging their 16s in by the sling, drop it on the ground under their cots and leave it there until it was time to go out again.  It seemed there was always a bunch of smoke and booze in the barracks after a fight and lots of guys wanted to be friends rather than soldiers; the 'cautionary' 'ya'll oughta clean that 16 before you go out again' was often met with 'hey Sarge, have another hit'.  There was a definite leadership problem in Vietnam, and malfunctioning weapons, poor battlefield discipline, high combat losses and demoralized troops with lots of bad memories (pstd) were some of the results.  Lots of guys wanted 'buddies' rather than a good soldier next to them and when neither one of them could fight for squat or even remember their training, shoot for squat or used their M16 for anti-aircraft fire rather than the anti-personnel work they were designed for, they got killed.  As a result it was always someone else's fault and some of these guys are still 'boo-hooing' over the mistakes they made 40 years ago and still think it was someone else's fault.  Poor leadership, certainly but worse discipline following.
The AK over the M16 or the M16 over the AK - I prefer the 7.62x39mm round over the 5.56x45 but would not want to get hit by either.  I wasn't concerned with collateral damage when we hit a target, be it a village or enemy position and the 7.62 AK round was quite effective when you had to shoot through things.  The AK would work under any condition, not so with the 16.
I have a NHM91 that I installed a Krinkov flash hider to and pulled the thumbhole stock and the half log they used for a forearm stock and replaced it with standard AK furniture - it is rather accurate with good ammo and it has become my Appleseed rifle.  I have hunted with it and it has a number of whitetail to its name.  I have another Kalashnikov that I rarely shoot and although capable of laying down serious fire out to whatever your effective ranges are it is not capable of the 2.5" opensighted groups the longer barrelled NHM is capable of at 100m.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
Hi IG:

Nope you can not use a semi in PA for hunting. Out west you can but not here. I wish you could. My HB Bushmaster AR15 outshoots my Varmint Rifles.

Regards PAH..
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline surehuntsalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
the entire 6 years that I was employed by Uncle Sam (Army)
I carried a Mossberg 500 12ga     did not care for the m16 one bit

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:34 AM »
the entire 6 years that I was employed by Uncle Sam (Army)
I carried a Mossberg 500 12ga     did not care for the m16 one bit

How did it do ? can you compare it to an 870 police magnum ? not trolling just asking . I have a 870 and have nothing bad to say . But the Mossberg with pistol grip looks interesting .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
I have been shooting M16-Ar15-M4 platforms since 1974. They have evolved. AK platf orm, not so muchs. The AR is more acccurate, more reliabe, has better sights and adaptability. Given that,
 I  also own an AK.  My AK has a different mission than my AR. AND as a police officer, I have a working familiarity of another weapon system.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline ratdog

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
i have built two ar 15's the one with the 20'' bull barrel i can shoot your eye out at 100 yards easy an ak won't do that that i know of. ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:35 AM »
AK's were never ment to shoot that well (though a few have been speical built like your gun to do so) they were to be built cheap and pour bullets in to enemy positions .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
Are any of the current AK clones[7,62x39] more reliable than others?,best value for the $$$?
I'm considering trying to trade my preBan Chinese SKS for an AK.
Thanks.
  I have an AK and a SKS.  Here's what I have and my comments on them.

Chinese Norinco SKS:  I bought this rifle 3 years ago for $235.00 OTD.  It's accurate, reliable, I've had no problems with it whatsoever.  I'd never consider selling it or trading if off. 

Romanian WASR GP 10/63 (7.62x39) AK 47:  I love this little carbine, it's a fun gun to shoot. Mine accepts the double stack 30 round magazines.  Some say the Romanian WASR is the bottom of the barrel of AK's, and that was true at one time.  However, Century Arms has improved the quality of these AK's.

The 2007 GP WASR-10/63 has an updated front trunnion with added contact support for the bolt carrier.As of 2008, there are GP WASR-10/63 rifles which are being made from demilled military rifles. Look for a triangle with arrow (some only have a triangle) on the front trunnion. 
The GP WASR 10/63 also features a Tapco G2 trigger which addressed the trigger slap issues earlier models had.  The Tapco is a great trigger, better than the trigger on some of the higher dollar AK's. 

Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc