Author Topic: Is full length sizing a must?  (Read 428 times)

Offline MICHIMAN65

• Trade Count: (5)
Is full length sizing a must?
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
 I am new to handloading, and I have a lever action 30/30, and want to know what is it that makes full length sizing a rule for leverguns? Is neck sizing possible for the purpose of increased case life? Michiman.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Is full length sizing a must?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Hi Michiman65,

My first experience with reloading was with a Lee set that you hammer the shell into the die to re-size the neck only.  As long as the gun that fired the shell originally is the gun you are loading for, no in my experience you do not need to full length re-size your shells.  To be 100% sure push the primer out of one case, and load a bullet into the empty and deprimed case (keep this case it will be very useful for as long as you load for this gun) and crimp it into place.  load this dummy round into the magazine and cycle it through the action.  I'll just bet it feeds and functions just fine.  If it does, then you have no need to full length re-size your cases.  (the 30-30 is low enough pressure that you may never need to, I didn't but I only loaded for that gun for three years)

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Ron T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
I have been reloading cartridges for over 50 years and I can tell you that it is common knowledge that with bolt action rifles, a reloader can get away with neck-sizing ONLY.  However, with pump-action, semi-automatic and lever action rifles, experts recommended that the cartridge cases be full-length resized so that the reloaded cartridge will be sure to go into the chamber without any problems.

You can try not full-length resizing your reloads and decide for yourself from the results you have.  However, you'll probably find that while a good many reloaded cartridges may load into the chamber without a great deal of trouble, some cartridges will not chamber properly and possibly may refuse to chamber altogether.   >:(

Hopefully, your extractor will get a good enough grip on the cartridges rim to enable it to extract the jammed cartridge without sliding off the rim.  If the extractor can't extract the stuck cartridge, then you'll need to use a metal rod long enough to put down the barrel from the muzzle end and push the stuck cartridge out of the chamber.  Don't use an aluminum cleaning rod... it's too soft and will be damaged by beating against the nose of the bullet.   :(

Try NOT to knock the stuck cartridge out of the chamber too hard causing the loaded cartridge to jam back against the bolt-face and possibly ignite the live primer.  This probably won't happen if you "push" on the loaded cartridge GENTLY... at least in the beginning.  Just be very careful if you must shove the cartridge out of the rifle's chamber so the cartridge doesn't "fire" outside the rifle's chamber with the action closed.

Good luck...   :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:33:51 AM »
Full lenght sizing is a must for lever actions. Who wants to take a chance on a stuck or jammed shell while you are hunting. Same with semi's & pumps. Why take that chance?

For my bolt guns & contenders I size my cases to fit each chamber. This has always worked  for me.

One other thing that I found, try one of the Lee factory crimp dies for your levers ( only about $ 10 ). I bought one in 30-30 & 35 Rem. I got these a couple of years ago after hearing guys on GB saying how great they worked & by God they were right. Never was much for any Lee products but these dies are the cats meow.

Who said you can't teach an OLD  DOG new tricks?

Good Luck & Safe reloading.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
I don't full length resize my .45-70 rounds and they work fine.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline MICHIMAN65

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:10:02 AM »
 Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate you helping me understand. Michiman.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:33:40 AM »
I agree with the OLD guy. The 30-30 is for hunting, why take the chance of ruining a hunt. I've been full length sizing my 30-30s for years and they will wear out over time, but it takes quite a few reloads to do them in. Just adjust your die so it sets the shoulder back a minimal amount.

It is difficult to tell when a case is dying and if they go kaput when you are on a hunt that is bad too. The cases separate just above the rim and leave the front of the case stuck in your chamber. A bad case will have a faint whitish line an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch above the rim. A better way to tell is take a piece of wire and make a sharp point at one end. Then bend it at 90 degrees just above the point. Use the wire to reach inside the case just above the rim. If it is nice and smooth in there then it is OK. If you feel the wire catching on something then the case is separating. I mark these cases and continue to use them for reduced loads that shoot like a 22.