Author Topic: A question on reloading, specifically for Handi's.  (Read 714 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
A question on reloading, specifically for Handi's.
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:55:59 AM »
Was not sure if I should put this in the reloading forum or on here. Since it's strictly about reloading for H-R's I'll try here first. I'm just getting into reloading so go easy on me if this is a 'dumb' question. I'm under the impression that neck sizing only is better for accuracy and case life than full length resizing. However after reading some info online it seems as though neck sizing only for H-R's actually might be detrimental to accuracy. What say all of you? Neck size only or full length resize for Handi's? To be clear I'm only talking about cases that have been previously fired in my rifle.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: A question on reloading, specifically for Handi's.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »
I've never neck sized for mine, but with most guns that can flex a bit when they fire like a single shot, you can only neck size a time or two before you have to run them through a full length die. Also neck sizing is usually done to get the last 1/10 inch of accuracy for target shooters. I doubt the accuracy benefit would be noticable in a handi shooter.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »
Warm to hot loads in the larger cased high pressure bottle-necked chamberings will have to be full length resized due to the flex in the action, you'll know if you can't fully rechamber a fired case, it's real obvious on ejector barrels because they won't eject when rechambered, will be hard to open the action on extractor barrels. You can get by neck sizing with milder loads tho.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:47:16 AM »
I don't 'fully' resize if it is only for my handi and will not be used in another gun.  Rather I will keep screwing the resizing die down until the case will just slide easly into the chamber then back out again when I close and open the action.  Sometimes that does not happen until the sizing die is adjusted all the way down, but usually it will happen before that.  Then I have resized enough to allow easy, dependable function, but I have not worked the brass anymore than necessary.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:02:26 AM »
My neck sizers don't get half as much work as they used to. I bought them to extend case life. After comparing my segregated brass to my 'any-gun' FL sized cases I discovered I wasn't getting all that much extra life for the added bother. With normal loads and lighter loads the margin between neck size only and FL sizing gets much closer. I do anneal once in a while so that probably helps the neck too.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »
I don't 'fully' resize if it is only for my handi and will not be used in another gun.  Rather I will keep screwing the resizing die down until the case will just slide easly into the chamber then back out again when I close and open the action.  Sometimes that does not happen until the sizing die is adjusted all the way down, but usually it will happen before that.  Then I have resized enough to allow easy, dependable function, but I have not worked the brass anymore than necessary.  44 Man
That's it. the case needs to fit the chamber.
 I load for 3 of'm and I do use higher end loads, usually the FL dies is a few thousandths off the case holder to get the cases to fully chamber.
 As you study loading, look into "Concentricity" or "Run out" issues. Most Handi rifles have generously sized chambers. I've found the best accuracy is when everything is straight. It's easy to get the case the proper size to fit, but the neck and bullet Being seated straight is really the key.

If the case fit's then you can neck size, if it won't you need to approch a different method. Each gun is really a study all it's own and a blanket "Neck size" or "Full Length" resize can't apply to all guns,
found elsewhere

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Just to add to your confusion, I do not full length resize any of the cases I currently load for, but I do more than just neck size.  I use full length sizing dies, but set the die so that it does not touch the shoulder of the fired cartridge, but resizes most of the neck, and body.  In a straight walled case this I simply re-size enough to have good neck tension, but with low and medium pressure bottle necked cartridges (ie .22 K-Hornet, 30-30, etc) that are supposed to head space on the rim, this allows a second point of contact that can be used to set up what I call a dual head spaced round (works only in the gun the round is fired in) For the guns I have tried this in about half of them shoot better, and the other half do not shoot as well.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
I'll put it in the simplest form, you can partially neck size with a full length sizing die, but you can't push the shoulder back with a neck sizing die when needed, the only neck sizing die I have for bottle necked rounds is a collet die for the Hornet.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
I didn't think of this earlier. Another trick that might work when neck sizing for a handi is to index the cases before they are fireformed to the chamber. I discovered that worked well for me when thumbloading for certain single shots before I bought the dies. A little nick on the rim at the 12 O'clock position made sure the cases entered the chamber the same way each time.

Offline Papa Jack

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
Just my  2 bits, for what it's worth.... 

If you are neck sizing or even partially sizing cases and you plan to HUNT with those rounds.... You would be smart to try each and every round thru your Handi making sure all will chamber before taking em along on the hunt.... Nothin worse that getting there on  the hunt and finding out the only round that wouldn't fit  is the first one you pick out of yer pocket .....

I have Neck dies for most all my calibers, I used em and some worked ok some not so good...
The Hornet Collet dies worked ok, the 30-30 neck sizer worked, the .243 Collet die not so good for me..   Felt kinda sticky chambering I guess ,maybe it was just me, I dunno..... Good Luck ! "PJ"
Viet Nam Veteran, 69-70, Troop D (AIR) 3/4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI. Helicopter Crew Chief UH-1H.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »
Oh boy, it's never a simple answer is it!!?? :o

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
It's pretty simple.  If you are shooting a bottleneck case, more often than not you are going to have to bump the shoulder back a tad to get consistent lock up.  I tried neck sizing only in a 7mm-08 and 223, they will shoot but suffer from accuracy problems.   So, I don't neck size.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »
1+ on what everyone else has said.  Never hurts to try neck sizing on your gun and see if it works.  Just be aware that it may not.  I tried using a collet die with my handi 223, but found that about 1/4 of the cases would protrude slighly from the chamber.  I could slam the action shut and shoot them, but accuracy suffered, probably due to inconsistent lockup.  Ended up selling my collet die. 
Duane

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
I'm just getting into reloading so go easy on me

JimG,

For a beginner, just learn the process first.
Stick with learning to full length size and after you gain a little knowledge of reloading you can start to play with some of the ideas posted above.

Otter Bob

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
I'm just getting into reloading so go easy on me

JimG,

For a beginner, just learn the process first.
Stick with learning to full length size and after you gain a little knowledge of reloading you can start to play with some of the ideas posted above.

Otter Bob

hmm, yes +1.  Start with the full length re-sizing.  Only when you are no longer considering yourself a beginner should you proceed to more advanced techniques.  As you can see from this thread (and others) there are many ways to load the best ammo for any gun, learn the basics, and stay with published data from trusted sources only!

After 20 years of re-loading I tend to forget what it means to be just starting out.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA