Author Topic: Weight in fore end  (Read 476 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Weight in fore end
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:40:37 AM »
Readin the thread about weight in the butt stock got me thinking about something... again!   ::)

We have talked about weight in the forearm before.  What I remember most is my conclusion that there was a chance of shearing off the forearm attaching lug under recoil.

Then looking at the furnature for my 45-120 last night and thinking about weight and balance with the lead weight in the butt stock and the barrel is cut down to 28", I think it would be beneficial to add some lead forward of the action.   :-\

So, if weight was added to the forearm just ahead of, and in full contact with, the spacer, and maybe even enlarging the lug hole a bit, it would seem that the shear force would be limited by the spacer/action and not applied to the lug at all.

Nope, never mind, I forgot that Newton feller for a second there...  :-[   Oh well, DARN!!! :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Weight in fore end
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:14:44 AM »
just thinking here, but if the fore end mounting stud can be re-enforced it may be possible to add a little weight to the fore arm stock.

In the attached picture file you can see a gap between the barrel and the stud mount base. Now my little broke thinker says that if you can clean this area thoroughly it could be silver soldered to re-enforce the attachment to the barrel.  Now it may be necessary to provide a vent hole somewhere to allow air, oil, grease, etc to allow the screw to seat fully, without a feel of a "false bottoming"

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:43 AM »
Just add a couple screws.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JB White

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »
Train of thought...
Might be overkill but the forend wouldn't fly off if soldered to the barrel.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »

Then looking at the furnature for my 45-120 last night and thinking about weight and balance with the lead weight in the butt stock and the barrel is cut down to 28", I think it would be beneficial to add some lead forward of the action. 

In this case, Wouldn't removing some of the lead weight in the butt have the same effect to the balance?

Instead of adding more up front, remove some from the rear.  :o
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:39:04 AM »
We're discussing the 45-120 here, warm smokeless loads as I recollect, to maintain the same recoil level, the weight needs to stay the same, shortening the barrel and removing weight from the stock will increase recoil.

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
Just add a couple screws.  ;)

I LIKE the screw idea Tim!   ;D   I would have never thought of it for some reason...  ::)   A couple a 8-40's?

OH!  OH!   :o   I bet I could add the screws and then silver solder the whole she-bang!   :o

I would really like to add enough lead to get the point of balance right between my hands.  I 'spose 12 pounds total weight for the rifle is a little to much to hope for though...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »

First: This is not the caliber, weight, or barrel lug problem, but there is a lot of weight in front of the receiver.

I bought a stub on the classified here.
In a standard configuration it was great on the bench, but it felt wrong as soon as I picked it up.
I tried several stocks, and the ATI collapsible all the way in felt best.
Since it came with a very nice fore end I bought a wood stock and cut it to the ATI length.
The scope was on a telescope where I used it for a spotting scope.
In this configuration it is so natural it seems to find and hold targets for me.
It's about 8.5 lbs and a 10.5" pull. The balance is about a hand forward of the receiver.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »
I LIKE the screw idea Tim!   ;D   I would have never thought of it for some reason...  ::)   A couple a 8-40's?

OH!  OH!   :o   I bet I could add the screws and then silver solder the whole she-bang!   :o

I would really like to add enough lead to get the point of balance right between my hands.  I 'spose 12 pounds total weight for the rifle is a little to much to hope for though...  :-\

I used 6-48(and silver solder, no factory weld on the 405 Win and 444 Marlin octagons) cuz I have lots of em and they had small heads, I dunno if you can use 8-40 and have room for the head.

Just for those that don't know, NFG ripped the weighted forend stud off his 45-70.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,96568.msg1098240921.html#msg1098240921

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
I've ripped both off:  the whole stud + oval plate off, and just the stud off the oval plate on a couple of my big recoiling guns.

I've since rewelded the studs to the plates and then the plates to the barrel - which then I drilled, tapped, and screwed the plates even further.   ...only on my heavy recoiling guns like the .45-70's and .45-120.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07