Author Topic: Gingrich angers some blacks over food stamp remark.  (Read 942 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Gingrich angers some blacks over food stamp remark.
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:37:16 AM »
  Gingrich's NAACP, Food Stamp Remarks Stir ControversyABC NewsBy Elicia Dover | ABC News – 5 hrs ago           
Manchester, N.H.- The blogosphere piled up with headlines Thursday over a part of Newt Gingrich's campaign speech involving food stamps and the NAACP, which left the Gingrich campaign scrambling in defense to put Gingrich's comments in context.
"And so I'm prepared if the NAACP invites me, I'll go to their convention and talk about why the African American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps," Gingrich said earlier today in Plymouth, N.H.
After a few tweets about Gingrich's comments surfaced online, several blogs were written focusing on Gingrich's comments. Some headlines included "Gingrich Singles Out Blacks in Food Stamp Remark," "Newt: Informs African Americans They Should Not Want Food Stamps," and "Gingrich to Blacks: Demand Jobs Not Food Stamps."
The Internet chatter ensued as writers discussed Gingrich's comments on race, saying he "called out the African American community."
Gingrich lead welfare reform as Speaker of the House in the early 90's and routinely speaks on improving poverty in America as a part of his "stump" speech. Though his comments are not always politically-correct or well received by some groups, Gingrich doesn't hold back in talking about his desire to help ethnic communities.
A portion of Gingrich's usual speech given to crowds includes a line in which Gingrich says more people are on food stamps under President Obama than with any other president. ABC News fact checked Gingrich's food stamp claims earlier this month, confirming that Americans on food stamps is at a record high, but mostly attributed to a weak economy.
"The fact is if I become your nominee we will make the key test very simple - food stamps versus paychecks. Obama is the best food stamp president in American history. More people are on food stamps today because of Obama's policies than ever in history," Gingrich said. "I would like to be the best paycheck president in American history."
Gingrich stirred controversy last month over his comments about poor children having no work habits or people around them to teach them how to work. Gingrich offered the solution that some school janitors should be fired and children should work part time within their school for money and to develop "pride in their community."
The Gingrich campaign immediately responded to the press over Gingrich's comments by sending out an email that said Gingrich's NAACP comments were an effort to reach out to the African American community. The Gingrich campaign pointed to Gingrich's book Real Change, in which Gingrich was critical of President Bush's "failure to address the NAACP." Gingrich said it was a "clear signal to the African American community that Republicans did not see them as worthy of engagement in dialogue."
Gingrich also chastised the 2008 Republican presidential candidates, in an appearance on Good Morning America, for skipping out on a forum hosted by Travis Smiley, which focused on the issues of black voters. Mike Huckabee was the only candidate to agree.
Gingrich said earlier this week that he was prepared to go into any ethnic community that would listen to his ideas.
"There's no neighborhood I know of in America where if you went around and asked people, 'Would you rather your children had food stamps or paychecks?" Gingrich said. "You would end up with a majority saying they'd rather have a paycheck."
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Gingrich angers some blacks over food stamp remark.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
Considering most blacks wil vote for the "brother" again, why should he be concerned?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline andy1300

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
It was your Bush JR and the Republicans policies that got us in this bad spot , Obama is the one getting us back again without the GOP's help, get it straight.

The less religion we have in our government, the better *

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
andy. Wow, sounds like ol Newt hit a nerve with you. Want to talk about it?? We'll listen. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Online magooch

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
I would be interested to hear exactly which GWB policies got us into this "bad spot."  I think it was Bill Clinton that signed the repeal of Glass-Speagle and it was Barney Fag and his buddy Chris Dodd who wouldn't allow any reform in Fanny and Freddy.

Yup, the obamunist is doing his absolute best to spend and borrow our way out of this "bad spot."  How's it working so far?
Swingem

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
I would be interested to hear exactly which GWB policies got us into this "bad spot."  I think it was Bill Clinton that signed the repeal of Glass-Speagle and it was Barney Fag and his buddy Chris Dodd who wouldn't allow any reform in Fanny and Freddy.

Yup, the obamunist is doing his absolute best to spend and borrow our way out of this "bad spot."  How's it working so far?

MAGOOCH. Good post Sir. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »
It was your Bush JR and the Republicans policies that got us in this bad spot , Obama is the one getting us back again without the GOP's help, get it straight.

Obama & Lib apologist have to face the fact that Obummer put more on food stamps, I know personal responsibility is a hard concept but  ::)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
  causes of the "bad spot"

What’s also important, but not evident, on this chart is that Obama’s major expenses were temporary — the stimulus is over now — while Bush’s were, effectively, recurring. The Bush tax cuts didn’t just lower revenue for 10 years. It’s clear now that they lowered it indefinitely, which means this chart is understating their true cost. Similarly, the Medicare drug benefit is costing money on perpetuity, not just for two or three years. And Boehner, Ryan and others voted for these laws and, in some cases, helped to craft and pass them.
To relate this specifically to the debt-ceiling debate, we’re not raising the debt ceiling because of the new policies passed in the past two years. We’re raising the debt ceiling because of the accumulated effect of policies passed in recent decades, many of them under Republicans. It’s convenient for whichever side isn’t in power, or wasn’t recently in power, to blame the debt ceiling on the other party. But it isn’t true.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/obamas-and-bushs-effect-on-the-deficit-in-one-graph/2011/07/25/gIQAELOrYI_blog.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
Okay, let's get it straight, it was the Democrats, who got us into this mess.  It all started with Barney Frank & Co. mandating that all banks must make loans to people who were not qualified or able to repay the loans.  This was done to "assure" that blacks and hispanics wouldn't be turned down for home loans.  This is what caused the big melt down of the banks.  Try to get a bank loan now, you'll most likely get turned down, why?  Ask your banker, and he'll tell you the reason, and it wasn't Bush Jr.  This happened way before Bush Jr. was in office.  Don't believe me, try to do a little research on your own.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
Everybody has their hand in this debaucle. Buck up and admit it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_United_States_housing_bubble
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
crusty - Even wikipedia states that the article you gave us the link for is in the words of wikipedia:

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.

Plain and simple, the article is not dependable as a source of information.  But thanks for your point of view.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »
Uh no!
In 2006 two years before Obama took over from Bush Pelosi and Reid took over Congress and you had Barney Frank take over the banking chairmanship and Dod take over the finance committee.  Before this we had 5 years of job growth.  After the take over we had a banking system that needed ot be bailed out and a housing market that was artifically inflated and caused the collapse due to the DEMOCRATS policies.  The Laws and Rules they passed caused the collapse!  The first two years of OBAMA was under a friendly congress and yet nothing was done ot pass a budget.  The Stimulus package and healthcare were passed on party lines and a President that said we are going to have a transparent administration is throwing up a lot of smoke screens to hide what he is doing.  If he and Pelosi are all about transparency why did we have to pass Obama care to know what was in it? 
If you want ot blame the last two years of Bush then you need to also blame the Democrat congress that was making the rules and laws.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
Some blacks make a good business out of being "offended" at almost anything Republicans say. If the Republican gets close to the truth they really get"offended". We ain't seen nothing yet, wait till the real campaign season starts.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 05:20:05 AM »
Many blacks were also angered when Bill Cosby criticized the state of the black segment of our society.  Whenever someone tells the truth, the troublemakers get stirred up.  Consider Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.  Do they ever suggest that a part of the problem lies within black society even if it is from a minority within it?  It's easier for them to blame our society (white people).  They would have no power if they criticized their people, so they don't.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 05:41:06 AM »
Gingrich didn't just anger some blacks.

When my Father died , My mother for a time (who had always been a stay at home mom) needed to rely on food stamps to help feed her 3 small children  (myself and my sisters ) while she took menial jobs and went to night school to learn a skill , then once she got a better paying job to support us she got us off the program. She was always embarrassed by having to use them, However if it wasn't for the food stamp program , there was a period of time growing up in a single parent family we would not have made it. The food stamp program was a hand up at a time we needed it  most, not a hand out.

I wonder if some folks know what it is to be truly hungry as a kid ... I mean really truly downright in your gut hungry, not just the occasional skipped meal. My family sure did.

The Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire did a study in 2005 of the food stamp program.

The found that in rural areas, 53 percent of food stamp recipients were white, compared to 27 percent black.
In urban areas, this breakdown was 34 percent white to 35 percent black.

http://www.carseyinstitute.unh.edu/publications/PB_foodstamps_05.pdf

Just food for thought as this discussion thread moves forward
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
When my Father died , My mother for a time (who had always been a stay at home mom) needed to rely on food stamps to help feed her 3 small children  (myself and my sisters ) while she took menial jobs and went to night school to learn a skill , then once she got a better paying job to support us she got us off the program. She was always embarrassed by having to use them, However if it wasn't for the food stamp program , there was a period of time growing up in a single parent family we would not have made it. The food stamp program was a hand up at a time we needed it  most, not a hand out.

I wonder if some folks know what it is to be truly hungry as a kid ... I mean really truly downright in your gut hungry, not just the occasional skipped meal. My family sure did.

The Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire did a study in 2005 of the food stamp program.

The found that in rural areas, 53 percent of food stamp recipients were white, compared to 27 percent black.

Yes, plenty of whites are on them & it not just a "Black" problem at all, but I don't understand why the numbers are skewed
by not looking at the whole picture. In other words, the Black population is what, 17% or so? Now factor that in with what percentage
of each race is on food stamps. kinda changes things doesn't it? Now, I don't care either way, I just get tired at looking at incomplete numbers.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:47:09 AM »
Forget politics. Forget the ACLU.  Newt is just a vile disgusting human being period.
He is divisive and loves to instill anger and hostility between any two entities.

No wonder Republicans who had to work (Put up with) with him previously when he was speaker openly and publicly state he is a poor choice for our country.

Newt is for Newt. whatever repugnant comment he can spew forth to make a national headline and remain relevant enough to sell his next book on his national book tour that he guises as a Presidential nomination run he will say.
He is so transparent , he amounts to nothing more than a bad Joke. and an old bad joke that keeps being told over and over again every so often at that .

Republicans can do so much better.

Sorry vent over.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »

Yes, plenty of whites are on them & it not just a "Black" problem at all, but I don't understand why the numbers are skewed
by not looking at the whole picture. In other words, the Black population is what, 17% or so? Now factor that in with what percentage
of each race is on food stamps. kinda changes things doesn't it? Now, I don't care either way, I just get tired at looking at incomplete numbers.
I believe the statement that Newt made is:

"And so I'm prepared if the NAACP invites me, I'll go to their convention and talk about why the African American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps," Gingrich said earlier today in Plymouth, N.H.

I for one would like to hear what he has to say. 

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »

I believe the statement that Newt made is:

I for one would like to hear what he has to say.
I guess me and OSR are the only ones who know what newt said and why.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »
No BUGEYE, you aren't the only one. I merely addressed the numbers & the how not showing the complete numbers is misleading.

Newt made a good point & the fact he is not my pick should not cloud that. Blacks as any other group should prefer checks & the funny part of this is the jobless rate & the number of Blacks below the poverty line has INCREASED under the annointed one's watch.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
Gingrich didn't just anger some blacks.

Yeah, I know what it felt like. Ask me some time privately and I'll tell ya how.

Regarding those percentages. Damned interesting given the population balance of blacks to whites, especially in urban areas, don't you think?
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »
If invited to an NAACP meeting who else should you discuss other than blacks? I don't believe you would be invited to discuss the plight of the Irish Catholic.

The professionally offended are still offended, blacks will continue to not vote for Gingrich. Newt continues to tell people what is on his mind, and not always edited for the PC content.

So many yearn for a politician who is not phony. If they should encounter a moment of genuine opinion from a candidate they recoil in mock shock. Poor people are on food stamps, poor blacks as well as whites. When addressing a black crowd he made the mental leap that the crowd would know that NAACP members were black.

I suggest Newt use the Hittites as his disenfranchised group in the future. Precious few of them left to make a stink.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
If invited to an NAACP meeting who else should you discuss other than blacks? I don't believe you would be invited to discuss the plight of the Irish Catholic.

The professionally offended are still offended, blacks will continue to not vote for Gingrich. Newt continues to tell people what is on his mind, and not always edited for the PC content.

So many yearn for a politician who is not phony. If they should encounter a moment of genuine opinion from a candidate they recoil in mock shock. Poor people are on food stamps, poor blacks as well as whites. When addressing a black crowd he made the mental leap that the crowd would know that NAACP members were black.

I suggest Newt use the Hittites as his disenfranchised group in the future. Precious few of them left to make a stink.
;D ;D
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline scootrd

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
Newt is for Newt. It's all about the Book Tour. Whatever sharp tongued thing he can say say to keep himself relevant to hock more books.

Newt was that way before entered the race,
It's that way now that he has entered,
and it will be that way again when he leaves.

Gotta keep up appearances and keep bringing in the $$$$$.  This whole race is not even candidate against candidate anyways.  It's Superpac against Superpac. America Thanks you Citizens United !!!  disgusting.