Author Topic: Trigger Guard Problems  (Read 484 times)

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Trigger Guard Problems
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
Like the header says, I am having an issue with the trigger guard on my BC. I put the rifle in the truck the other night to take it to work and show to a friend. When I got it out the next morning and handed it to him I discovered that the trigger guard had cracked.
It broke on the right side (holding it in a firing position), from the inside of the front of the bow over to the trigger hole and back. There is a SHARP dagger-like piece hanging down into the trigger area now, and the rear of the trigger guard is pushed away from the frame. I can push the trigger guard back up at the rear, but it is under tension and just pops back out.
Now, normally, I am a pretty easing going guy and pretty tolerant of things, but I have issues with this. It has never been dropped or hit on the guard to abuse it.  It was below freezing that night, but I have shot it in colder weather with no issues. On the plus side, the trigger is absolutely awesome now, which makes me think something was in a bind when it was assembled and caused the failure.
This is the rifle I had the .204 Ruger barrel fitted for at the factory. I would just go ahead and shoot it with that barrel, but there is no way I can fire any of my 460 gr. .45-70 loads out of it and not come away bleeding. With the drastic change in trigger pull I am afraid of an AD if I try to shoot it.
Is there any chance someone is making the metal trigger guards for these again?
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Trigger Guard Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »
No metal trigger guards yet, best advice is send it in for repair and a trigger job, or order a replacement from Numrich or Brownells and do you own repair per the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
A Small Flat Rate mailer will get the receiver back to H&R and they will replace the triggerguard for free or at least they did mine.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
Gardner accepted a frame only for trigger jobs(lonewolf5438 did one), dunno if Ilion will, Brian56 would be the man to contact about it.   ;)

Tim

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
Thanks guys.
I figured I would just order a replacement and do it myself, which is why I was interested in a metal replacement.
I have never opened up a Handi receiver to do a trigger job, my BC and Trapper Maxi both had very acceptable triggers out of the box, but I have read all the directions and tips in the FAQ's and feel that I am capable of doing the job.
Is it normal for the trigger guard to be getting pushed out of the frame, or do I have bigger problems to look for? (I know, I just said I read the FAQ's, but it was a long time ago.) The drop in trigger pull weight has me concerned, it is down there with my sniper rifle or an Accutrigger now...probably under 2 lbs and very crisp. The transfer bar still works, so I could probably shoot it, I'm just worried that with the broken guard something will slip loose and cause an AD.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »
It's a lot easier to send it back and it's free.  I wouldn't take it apart.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Its not too difficult, you will need to make a slave pin. Can be done with a piece of round stock or a piece of a drill cut off. The pin needs to be slightly less than the width of the INSIDE of the receiver. It holds the trigger in position until you get the trigger guard in the frame. Where it gets pushed out by the real pin. Also be sure to insert the pins in exactly the same direction as one end is splined. Also try to index those splines so you done "cut" new ones when driving the pin home.

Go read the trigger job thread in the FAQ's.

The latch spring is located in the trigger guard. That is likely whats pushing down in the broken art. One til I will offer is to put a dab of grease in the pocket holding that spring. It keeps it in place saving some profanities. ::)

Changing the trigger guard will not alter your fine trigger pull.

GOOD LUCK and post up (or PM) if you have any questions!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
Just a simple question, what would be an expected price difference between an rifle with a metal trigger guard and a rifle with a plastic trigger guard? $30 $50 $100?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »
See the metal trigger guard and spacer poll in the FAQs.

Tim