Author Topic: illuminated retical ?  (Read 460 times)

Offline jamjennic

• Trade Count: (1)
illuminated retical ?
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
currntly useing a 4x16x50 nikon sf monarch. looking for something with a red dot retical of similer quality. what have you used? bob.

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
Re: illuminated retical ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »
Check out Mueller, I have the 3-10x44 Sport Dot. It's a great scope for only $180. -,red dot brightness is adjustable, nice clear image.         I see they also have a 4-16x50 for $250. -, and many more to choose from.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:21:24 AM »
ive got one mueller. Its a 3x9x40 illuminated model. Its a decent scope but not in the same class as my monarchs. I believe nikon makes a tatical line with illuminated reticles and so does leupold. those are the two id look at if you want the optical quality of what you allready have. Another good one would be the trigicon accupoint they make a 3x9. Ive got the 1x4 and its a great scope. Nice thing with them is they dont need batterys that can give up the ghost.
blue lives matter

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »
I have a Leupold 1.5 X 5 IR. It is a VXIII, roughly 5 years old. It has the battery and switch on the ocular lens, the new models are located near the reticle adjustments. It does exactly as advertised, I find it most useful in deep woods. Over cut fields the scope alone will take me past legal shooting light.

This scope is built on a 30mm tube the non lighted is 1", I could not comment on the rest of the IR line especially the new VX3. The VX 3 is supposed to be a very nice optic, IMO better than the Monarch. It is also fairly expensive although price is all relative.

It is not afraid to use batteries, if you forget to turn it off don't expect it to be burning when you remember again. I don't know how long it will last but it sure ain't a week. :(  I would put the battery life at less than that of a Red Dot type optic, but the reticle is always available unlike the Red Dot.

I bought it for the AR but ended up putting it on my 1895 Marlin. I will say as the light fades you need to keep reducing the intensity as it will start to flare. If you do get that last minute shot, it would be a shame to be fumbling around I use it at roughly 2-3 out of the 11 steps and only turn it on about 15 minutes per day if at all. 
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**