Author Topic: Bullet pulling problems?  (Read 428 times)

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Bullet pulling problems?
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
I have about 50 500 S&W magnums with 500 grain lead SWCs with 93% meplat that I have been trying to pull bullets from without any success. I've tried the hammers(can't get the cases into the collets) with collets and screw in dies for single stag presses(collets slip off the bullets before any movement happens) but, no luck with either.
Any suggestions?
TIA, Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Bullet pulling problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
Most guys I know don't use the collets anyway. We use shell holders for single stage presses in their place. I don't know if the 500 S&W shell holders will fit, but I've used them successfully on everything else.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
anachronism, shell holders?
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
I would have to go with the shell holder also.  Use it in place of the collet in the hammer style puller.  Align the cutout on the shell holder to the handle. 
I read about it somewhere and it works. 
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:22:52 AM »
When i pull cast bullets i just use a press and a pair of side cuts and remelt them. Overall even with recasting its not much more of a job. Also many dies size down a cast bullet a bit when its crimped and i dont like reusing them anyway. That said you could try this. Ive found with 500 linebaughs that the case sits in a hammer puller without even using a shell holder or collet.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:41:49 AM »
When i pull cast bullets i just use a press and a pair of side cuts and remelt them. Overall even with recasting its not much more of a job. Also many dies size down a cast bullet a bit when its crimped and i dont like reusing them anyway. That said you could try this. Ive found with 500 linebaughs that the case sits in a hammer puller without even using a shell holder or collet.

Same here,
 Lead bullets deform easily removing anyhow so I just don't bother. I either shoot'em up or pull them with a set of side cutters/dikes in the press with no die. Put the shell in the shell holder, run it up to the top of the stroke. Grab the bullet with the tool and push the ram back down tightly holding the tool.... out pops the bullet.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »

Now, that's a novel idea, LLoyd. I'll give this a try.
Steve
AF&AM #294