Author Topic: another crappy loading job.  (Read 834 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
another crappy loading job.
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »
thing i hate the most is brass trimming but after loading 5k of 223 unto stripper clips today I just have to wonder if theres an easier way. I need something with a collator that loads a strip with every pull  :P
blue lives matter

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: another crappy loading job.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:45:58 AM »
I got a chuckle out of that Lloyd ;D   Five thousand rounds of .223 out of my Handi would last me the rest of my life with plenty to pass on to my grandkids.  I guess I've got too many guns to put that many through any one of them. :'(   The latest additions to the Handi tribe are 2 super light 7mm-08s, one for me and one for Patty;  a .357 Max for Patty and a .356 for me.  I haven't a clue what's next.  It may be a .307/308 modification on my .308 or a rimmed 7mm. ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline GLShooter

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »
A ten year old boy would be the best way I know of!!   ;)

I guess I forgo that operation as much as I can.  I am a big loose pack guy.

Greg
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:41 AM »
did the math the other day and figured id gone through 3k of 223 last summer. Most of it out of the stag with the bump fire stock. Seems about everyone i know had to give it a try. Id say on an average year i probably go through half of that. My thoughts though are if im going to set up the equipment to load 223 308 or any handgun rounds im not going to stop till all the brass in the house is loaded. After all you sure cant shoot empty brass!!
I got a chuckle out of that Lloyd ;D   Five thousand rounds of .223 out of my Handi would last me the rest of my life with plenty to pass on to my grandkids.  I guess I've got too many guns to put that many through any one of them. :'(   The latest additions to the Handi tribe are 2 super light 7mm-08s, one for me and one for Patty;  a .357 Max for Patty and a .356 for me.  I haven't a clue what's next.  It may be a .307/308 modification on my .308 or a rimmed 7mm. ::)

Pete
blue lives matter

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »
You make a good argument for bulk loading, I prefer much smaller batch runs though.  Some are loaded hotter than others, and if I get a wild hair to try a different powder I always have some empty brass around
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
keith i have smaller batches too. Ive got one ar set up as a light weight varmit gun for example. Its a colt lower with a deltron upper and usese a 16 inch stainless non stepped barrel. Not a bull barrel gun but its flat out one of the best shooting ars ive ever owned. It will shoot 1/2 in 5 shot 100 yard groups with 60 grain vmaxs to ive got a small ammo can full of those. I also have a small ammo can with 60 grain partitions loaded for another ar that shoots them well for when i get a hair up my but to shoot a few does with the ars. As to powders and primers I have two thoughts. Like i said i have those small cans and two others loaded for certian applications but when i load bulk ball bullets i dont care much which powder and primers i use. As a matter of fact i might change right in the middle of a loading if i run out. I load them all to simular velocitys and just throw them in the can together. This ammo is for blasting and just in case. In a just in case senerio i cant see any possibility that a man will need to shoot more then 200 yards and at those ranges even the mixed loaded ball will shoot minute of vital zone on a 200 lb target out of any of my ars. What ive come to do is keep all of it in ammo cans on stripper clips mostly because i can store abou twice the ammo in a can then i can bulk and i keep a stripper clip bandelero with 24 stripper clips full of ammo specific to the gun with each ar. that way at least the first 240 rounds for each gun will for sure hit point of aim. If i need any more then that i use the  bulk loaded stuff but by that time i think my problem would be much bigger then ammo that shot an inch or two off at a 100 yards.
blue lives matter

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »
Somehow, the thought of firing that many rounds at something that is neither dangerous nor edible, I cannot force myself to contemplate it. That is one reason I cast and reload, I started back when almost any ammo was cost prohibitive, and were were worried that they might stop production period. Remember, following '68 you had to show ID and sign a log sheet to buy 22LR. It was $2.49 a brick then, but you were afraid you would run out and not get any more. Kind of like 2 years ago when 22 and 380 ammo became like gold.  ::) It is just like money in my sock drawer, it makes me feel good to have it, but the thought of actually using it is very disquieting. :o

1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
My thoughts though are if im going to set up the equipment to load 223 308 or any handgun rounds im not going to stop till all the brass in the house is loaded. After all you sure cant shoot empty brass!!

Yes Sir!  That's my way of thinking too.  There becomes a "consistent" rhythm in turning out that many rounds in sequence, and it isn't necessarily all done in a single day.  When there are one or two ammo boxes of cleaned, sized, trimmed, and primed brass in a single caliber waiting to be reloaded, it is immeasurably satisfying when that "work" is done.

Like you, I let a whole lot of folks unload my ammo.  Me thinks there should be more for me after I do all the work.  Although I do get a satisfied feeling in bringing the Fence Sitters and Left Leaners back to the Right following a day at the range with 5 to 7 different calibers and several hundred rounds down range.  They begin to UNDERSTAND and I see that fire in me begin to glow in them too.  At that point, we can REALLY begin to talk like Brothers and Sisters.