Author Topic: Opinions on aluminum gas checks  (Read 997 times)

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Opinions on aluminum gas checks
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:54:37 AM »
  Aluminum gas checks are cheaper than copper.  Anybody using them?  Any input or thoughts to share before I try some?

It seems like the low melting temp of aluminum might  negate the whole idea of a gas check preventing the lead from melting at the base of the bullet.  Then again, aluminum dissipates (sp?) heat quickly.  Then again, they are so small, how well could they disperse the heat?  As you can see, I'm going in circles in my head on this.  I'm probably going to buy some and try them.  gas checks being cheap enough to just grab a bag to try just for the learning.

Does anybody have any experience to shed some light on this before I just go forth and experiment?    Will I be scrubbing aluminum fouling out of my 30-30?

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Opinions on aluminum gas checks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:13:38 AM »
Aluminum checks don't melt in the bore. There are a lot of guys using them. You could also buy the Freechex tool yourself, and make them from whatever pleases you, brass, copper, or aluminum. There are also many, many Youtube videos on making gas checks.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Opinions on aluminum gas checks
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:16:18 AM »
Like was said there sure not going to melt. Even a plain base bullet will not melt in the base. Gas checks are more to prevent gas cutting on the sides of bullets. Only downfall to something like a free check is it doesnt crimp on and unless your going to go through the bother of gluing it on there going to come off in flight and that will effect accuracy some.
blue lives matter