Author Topic: Bowling Ball Cannon  (Read 1133 times)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Bowling Ball Cannon
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »
Just in case you missed it here is fun youtube video of a bowling ball cannon.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Bowling Ball Cannon
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Now there is a worth companion to the Monster Mortar!  Mike and Terry you NEED on of these things. Wonder what kind of letter the BATF would end in reply to a request to build one and a video clip?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
Wonder what kind of letter the BATF would send in reply to a request to build one and a video clip?

It seemed to be fired by fuze and was muzzle loading and was not being used as a weapon, but I would get myself a letter before building one.  And I would add outriggers in front, even if I had to manually lower the barrel for loading.   ;)

Also, i do question the sense of posting that on youtube for all the Chicken Littles to see and whine to their Congressmen.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline michaelfreeland

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
That's probably the only upside to living in or near the desert! Still, looks very cool. I think he needs a counterbalance...

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
    Sorry LS, but this one is too much Hollywood stunt gun for us.  We are concerned that proliferation of this type and the ill advised gas cylinder mortars will do for BP Mortar and Cannon shooting what the "Black Rifle" did for gun shows.  :( :(   This is our opinion, take it or leave it.

Also, i do question the sense of posting that on youtube for all the Chicken Littles to see and whine to their Congressmen.

Right on, George; of course they will.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
There sure were some great pictures that would look great in a calendar. Just saying.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
Like the concept, but I, too, would like to hear what BATF would say...other than that, I second the sentiments of Ex 49'er...some great shots...Mike and Tracy, I also can see your point, and hope that there aren't repercussions from posting on YouTube! That said, some of the movies posted on YouTube are pretty graphic regarding firing a number of questionable armaments....doesn't prevent one from enjoying the show! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »
 Even leaning Libertarian, on a bad day I sometimes wish that YT would stop posting all civillian BP artillery-related vids. A wiffle ball mortar shown being fired with 30 grains of BP could also be sent to a Congressman and who knows how it might be spun into a "Weapon of Mass Destruction" by the media. Stranger things have happened.

Aside from the above, the builder of that setup is obviously not your average YT "Bubba." Just from what can be gathered from the vid, a ton of engineering, machining and fabrication went into making it work as well as it did.

Anyone notice the two other similar artillery pieces there? It must have been some kind of planned event.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline exlimey

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:15:06 AM »
    Sorry LS, but this one is too much Hollywood stunt gun for us.  We are concerned that proliferation of this type and the ill advised gas cylinder mortars will do for BP Mortar and Cannon shooting what the "Black Rifle" did for gun shows.  :( :(   This is our opinion, take it or leave it.

I think its a Brit conspiracy to black ball our second amendment rights. Nice touch playing "Land of Hope and Glory" during the episode since  i got out of the UK back in the 60s there was precious little Hope or Glory ! As i tell my kids 'Its a good place to be from"
     Right on, George; of course they will.

Tracy

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 02:26:33 AM »
M&T, of course I'll take your opinions. What point would there be in rejecting them? And yeah the YT posting may be ill advised, but it is interesting to watch never the less. Respectfully. LS
PS what's a "black gun"?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:27:22 AM »
LSC,

Try "urban dictionary" for strange terms. They list "black gun" as http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Black%20Gun   

Carriage for gun is a re-purposed Mil spec. generator trailer.  I am currious what the fins are supposed to accomplish on the breach.  I understand they will aid in some strengthening but the gaps between are troublesome. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
Yes, black gun and brown gun = M16 and M14.  Common (Army) terms.

Every technical area has it's own jargon.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
Although I was in Vietnam (not as an infantryman), I never heard either term used there.  Only here in the states have I heard "black gun."  I think it was originally an NVA term that was picked up here, first by M16 detractors, then by supporters.  All speculation, though, on my part.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill