Author Topic: Scope for Varmint configured AR rifle.  (Read 433 times)

Offline Bart Solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Scope for Varmint configured AR rifle.
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
I am trying to configure a bull barreled AR for varmint shooting.  I have a Leupold vx-i 3-9X40 on it right now.  I need to upscope with something capable of handling prairie dogs at long ranges.  I am thinking that one of the Mueller scopes might be appropriate.  Anybody have any thoughts on the Mueller Eradicator or maybe the Mueller 8.5-25X44 AO Tactical?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Scope for Varmint configured AR rifle.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
what about a 4x12 leupold? Ive shot enough praire dogs at long range to know that at the ranges a 223 is good for 12x is plenty of magnification and you certainly dont need more then 14x .
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 03:05:35 AM »
I have a Bushy NatlMatch that I use for varmints.  Had a Bushy Varminter, but it was way to awkward with the 24" barrel.  I use either a leupi 4x12 or a 6x18...currently the 6x18 with a Leupold dot....the only thing I don't like is the dot.  I may have it changed for a crosshair that I can actually see!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
I agree with Lloyd, you won't need anything over 14x for your 223.  And if it's going to be a true varmint gun, you will likely want lower than 8x for shooting low light or at night. I put a Bushnell 4200 4-14x50 on mine along with a light mounted on the scope.  Just tried it out on  a yote on Saturday night at 250 yds.  With the full moon I was able to pick him up crossing the field and found him in the scope, hit him with the light and his eyes lit up and silhouette jumped out. Dead yote...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne