Author Topic: Newbie Reloading Bench Question  (Read 908 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Newbie Reloading Bench Question
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:24:21 AM »

Hi all, newbie here.  I'm looking for a work bench to set up in a closet for reloading.  I saw this Seville Classic work center at Sam's Club and would like opinions if it would work.   My reloading plan is small batch 38/357 and 44 mag for a Handi-rifle, and eventually loading 30.06 and 444 Marlin.  My goal is quality ammo not quantity.

Thanks!

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/products.php?pid=371

Offline GLShooter

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Newbie Reloading Bench Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »
That one is pretty tall for a closet. I would consider a lower computer desk to slide in the closet. I like to set down when I load but many do prefer to stand up. The one you show has some drawers but you might have to mount the press on the end of the top as most presses hang over the edge of the top.  Notice that three of my five on this bench hang over.

Greg
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:02 PM »
I prefer a stand up bench. I'd check to see how well attached the legs are to the bench top.  Also, since most presses hang over the edge, you might lose function of a drawer.  I'd want to know how wobbly or solid the bench is.  I like to have my scale setting on a shelf that isn't connected in any way to the bench so its not affected by bench activities.  And I'd be building shelves under the drawers.  The time I loaded in a closet it was about 30x30.  I built shelves w doubled 3/4 plywood (I think) that  sat on 2x4 stringers that hung on the closet wall studs - heavily screwed in.  It was a tad crowded but worked pretty good with a clamp on light.  Depends a little on the press you plan to use.  The ammo you mention won't require huge leverage etc compared to swaging bullets or forming cases so this unit might work. HTH
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
i prefer a stand up bench also like small plastic drawer units on top with storage underneath, for tumbler etc
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
That looks like a nice bench... But as the guys said, right off you are gonna loose at least one drawer. I too would be conserned with redgidy and Wiley makes a great point about the shelf. A eye level shelf for your scale is a really nice thing and if your bench is not rock solid, mounting it seperate form the bench top is necessarry. Absolute rock solid mounting for the scale is needed for accuracy.

Personally, for such a small space, I would build a bench off the walls inside the bench. 2x4's screwed to the walls then a double 3/4"plywood top will be rock solid! For the top cut it directly in half to get it in there. For the first "top" cut it front to back. Then the second top cut it side to side. A shelf below can be done the same. and a shefl above can be like Wileys or again more 2x4s (or smaller stock)and a smaller sheet of ply wood. If you do build it, don't skimp you really do need a double top for regidity. Single shelves of 1/2 ply are probably plenty thou if you want to save a couple coins.
EASY to make, EASY to remove with MINIMAL damage to walls. (Five minutes with a shot glass full of spackle) Best of all bet its cheaper than $220!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the size, specs and weight I think the bench would be plenty sturdy enough and stiff enough. 

The design of the base would make it pretty easy to add lower shelves.  You can also get hanging bins for pegboard and shelves that hang on pegboard so you can keep the tools and gauges you use the most handy.

I suspect that the door knob (if any) and the casing around the opening will be the shortest distance from the back wall and don't forget to include any overhang of the press and handle in your plan.  You could always remove the handle if it is in the way when you're not using the press.

For low volume reloading with a Rock Chucker or similar press you can skip bolting the press down and use a pair of heavy 6" C-clamps to attach it when you need it as long as there is enough overhang of the top to clamp the base of the press. 

Another option to mount the press without loosing a drawer is to use a Dillion Strong Mount to raise the press.  All you'd need to do is (maybe) drill new holes to match your press base.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23596/catid/3

Lance

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
For a closet I would do as CW suggest and build in. For mounting the loader I used this on top of my bench.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
I can't imagine trying to reload in a closet but if that bench will fit I see no reason it wouldn't do an excellent job for you. One of my first loading benches was one I made with a top of the same dimensions 24"x48". I still have that bench all these years later but don't use it for loading anymore. I do store powder under it and a whole pile of my loading stuff is on top.

For someone with limited space the 24"x48" dimension is a good choice.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 04:10:18 AM »
I have that exact bench from Sam's except mine is old enough to have wooden drawer fronts. 

The bench is very sturdy. I built a double shelf from 3/4" plywood that sits on the bottom spreader. Load it up with bars of lead, bullets, etc. and it would take a truck to move it. I also built a narrow shelf that sits on top of the table to give additional space to stack some of my stuff on. I have a single stage RCBS press, powder measure, and bullet sizer mounted with enough room to work between them.

I prefer to sit when reloading and use a bar stool with this set-up. I prefer it to a lower bench that I would use a chair with.

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
Check Harbor freight . They have a few work benches .

Semper Fi !

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »

I have a shotgun loader that I have seldom used. Like LanceR was referring to the 6"c-clamps, I mounted the loader on a piece of plywood 10"x12" and use the clamps, then put the loader away when not in use.
  Every bit of space counts, I bought reloading equipment before I bought my house, when we were renting,I had to make do, so,do what you have to when space is at a premium. Some things have "just got to be done" reloading was one of those things for me.
  Good Loading and Shooting to you.
  safety first
HM