Author Topic: reaming questions  (Read 445 times)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
reaming questions
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a 357 mag Thompson Center barrel that I would like to ream out to a 357 max.  The questions I have are:

Will you let me use the reamer for a Contender Barrel?
Will the same reamer work?
Does anyone have some good advice on how to do this on my own?

You can see that I don't know a whole lot about this but I am machinical minded and have done work on my own guns.  I just like to know what I am doing before I start.  I even own a couple of Handi Rifles, in 30-30 and 243.  I wouldn't mind getting a 357 barrel for one of them and reaming it out too.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: reaming questions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
I am not sure if the reamer will contract Kooties if it touches a T/C barrel, only Tim can answer that one.

The same reamer will work.

Get your self some cutting oil of some sort and a T-handle (I used one from a tap & Die set). Oil up the reamer and start cutting by turning the cutter clockwise. putting some down pressure on it, but not a lot. It will cut a little at a time. I turned mine until the reamer almost touched the existing rim relief. Keep tuning it the same way and withdraw the reamer. Clean the camber, bore and reamer, put a light coating of oil back on the reamer.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
Yup, it will work fine on TC barrels, it's done a few already, no complaints. As for the task, it's pretty well covered in the reamer sticky and in the FAQs and Help.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
I have a 357 mag Thompson Center barrel that I would like to ream out to a 357 max.  The questions I have are:

Will you let me use the reamer for a Contender Barrel?
Will the same reamer work?
Does anyone have some good advice on how to do this on my own?

You can see that I don't know a whole lot about this but I am machinical minded and have done work on my own guns.  I just like to know what I am doing before I start.  I even own a couple of Handi Rifles, in 30-30 and 243.  I wouldn't mind getting a 357 barrel for one of them and reaming it out too.

Sixgun

Some like the kick, but it's a sharp kicking round in the Contender.  Just my 2cp, but after trying one I passed on that.  lol
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
I am not sure if the reamer will contract Kooties if it touches a T/C barrel, only Tim can answer that one.
The same reamer will work.

Get your self some cutting oil of some sort and a T-handle (I used one from a tap & Die set). Oil up the reamer and start cutting by turning the cutter clockwise. putting some down pressure on it, but not a lot. It will cut a little at a time. I turned mine until the reamer almost touched the existing rim relief. Keep tuning it the same way and withdraw the reamer. Clean the camber, bore and reamer, put a light coating of oil back on the reamer.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Yikes! A Handi reamer used in a T/C barrel?  Keep your fingers crossed on both hands, while reaming the barrel. ;D ;D ;D   

Hey Sixgun - Make sure you dip it in Holy water before you send it back! You hear! ;) ;D ;D
Best of luck with the conversion.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.