Author Topic: MUSINGS OF AN OLD MAN  (Read 1011 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
MUSINGS OF AN OLD MAN
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
I have always enjoyed Pawn Shops---just something about them. The new ones--you know, the chains. just don't have the feel of the old mom and pop operations--but I still like em.
I was taking a mental not of what I see most often in them as far as pawned guns are concerned.
I think the Springfield XD's--I think it is the XD's---carry the findings.
I wonder why---not as many S&W as there used to be. More and More I am seeing NEW guns????
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: MUSINGS OF AN OLD MAN
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
It's not as easy as it used to be, but we still have some musty old pawn shops.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »
I have always enjoyed Pawn Shops---just something about them. The new ones--you know, the chains. just don't have the feel of the old mom and pop operations--but I still like em.
I was taking a mental not of what I see most often in them as far as pawned guns are concerned.
I think the Springfield XD's--I think it is the XD's---carry the findings.
I wonder why---not as many S&W as there used to be. More and More I am seeing NEW guns? ???
Blessings

I see the same around here, but not necessarily dominated by the XD's. I believe when the budget has to be tightened, the gun is one of the first things to go. I'm sure a high percentage of gun purchases are impulse buys anyway so when money is tight, off they go to the pawn shop.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30:09 AM »
The pawn shops in my neck of the woods do not carry firearms dang it, and I have to agree with the Flash that when the belt has to tighten a 'impulse buy' usually goes first, and that often means at least one firearm. 

It drives my local dealer crazy when I call from somewhere out of state where I have visited a pawn shop or a gun store and have found something I absolutely could not live without and call him and say - Hey Pat, this is Mikey, guess what I found in (where-ever)....  I usually hear this moan from the other end of the phone, but it all works out (to my benefit I believe...).

William - musings of a old man - aw c'mon, gimme a break; guys who drive around in hot, new red Mustang convertables don't usually be see themselves as old men.........

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »
Mikey
I have to be honest here.
It is the feeble attempt by an old man to convince hisowself that he still can---when in fact, he cannot.
Now I can buy guns--maybe I should buy some of these that I don't want so I will have some to keep after my daughter claims all that I really want.
Now, to be honest once again---this honesty stuff is hard to do---she does not have any of them at her house, but I know that one day she will come like the government and confiscate all of them she wants. I am just hoping she won't take the duplications that I buy.
I think that the proliferation of semi's that i see are the results of folks thinking that this is what they have to buy.
Of course, in my old age I seem to be going back to my childhood and finding new interest in the old rollers.
i have to admit that there is a great deal of contradictions within me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »
I think the buzz is PROFIT DRIVEN INVENTORY . Or fast sellers.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:22:26 AM »
YUP! I would agree.
The thing that is interesting is the lack of Pawned revolvers available.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:25:59 AM »
I see quite a few Single Actions but not many Double Actions.  I actually prefer the Single Actions because they are usually cheaper. ;)
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »
YUP! I would agree.
Blessings

Au contraire Willie, that's how I found my 32-20, 32 Mag Ruger Buckeye...........in a pawn shop.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 04:54:57 AM »
     We are often complimented on the cleaniless and orginized pawn shop I am involved with, and one reason you wont see many High end guns at our place is we get 1st. choice and we have a few I run around with that have wish lists at the shop and the older and higher ens guns never go out to be handled, William you have been there is it a mrundown old shop?  And it isnt a chain shop it is family owned, and yes we do have a heart, before we take anything out of pawn we contact the owner who has fallen behind and ask them if a little more time will help them out as to redeem their pawn, that in itself lets them know we apreciate their business.   Jim

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
YUP! I would agree.
Blessings

Revolver shooters are a different breed entirely. We're not bullet hose-meisters, most of those with DA revolvers actually eventually learn to shoot both SA & DA. I have a few Springfield XDs that never see the light of day. They just don't seem to have souls I guess. Maybe it's just my romantic nature trying to escape.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
William:  re your daughter takin' all your stuff - make a stash, dude; at least one of each and those that she doesn't yet know about, plus ammo, etc., and let her think you are down to bare bones, so to speak.... figuratively... and I don't know about the rest of the other stuff.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »
Mikey
I really doenjoy her wanting what I have and appreciateing them. She has really gooten the hang of this stuff. She got the bore light out of the computer room here and looked it over really well. I would be lying if I said that it drives me nuts when she wants somethin nice.
I really can't wait for a nice day when she gets to shoot the M19. I think it will suit her to a T.
JHM
Your shop is the old fashioned kind. I wished I lived close enough to get by there on a regular basis. If I lived within a hundred miles of you I would show a lot.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline tguil

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
I'm 69 and not quite old enough to "muse".  I never frequent pawn shops and only once did I buy a used gun. I traded it for new model of the same within a week. But I do like steel, wood and leather and don't care much for plastic and nylon so maybe I am an old guy.  The reason you see so many polyguns in the pawn shops is that the "youngsters"  who owned them simply could not afford their "tacticool tastes".