Author Topic: 2012 hunt  (Read 1514 times)

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
2012 hunt
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
I'm thinking hard on my next western hunt but I'm not sure what I want to hunt yet. Anybody else planning their hunt? There are so many possibilities.

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: 2012 hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Planning a pronghorn and elk hunt as we speak. Depend on th e state draw if I can go or not.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »
Went to Wy in 2011 and the lopes had taken a hard hit the winter of 2010 and the head count was way down in the area we hunted.  The does were scarce so we didn't even fill our doe tags and decided they needed a year or two to rebound.  We didn't see any mulies  while antelope hunting either.  The white tails in eastern MT and Wy got hemorragic (sp) fever and had a die off.  My bro has a ranch in central MT and wondered what was happening to his white tails last summer and now we know.  I have several preference points for deer and elk in CO so that may be my plan for this year or it may be an over the counter archery tag for elk if I don't draw anywhere else.  New Mex. is running a close 2nd for elk but I'm afraid to apply in too many places or I might draw them all.  I refuse to buy a $100+ hunting lic in AZ just to apply for their draw so I will gladly hunt somewhere else.  I'll probably make a p-dog hunting/scouting trip to this summer to S.Dak., WY, and MT but it will be too late for the draws then.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
I was thinking of a Trip to Idaho for elk and deer with a couple friends of mine.  But not sure if work will allow me to take a week or two this year.
In a few weeks I am headed to Az for Javilina with a different group of friends. 

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:15:51 AM »
I was thinking of a Trip to Idaho for elk and deer with a couple friends of mine.  But not sure if work will allow me to take a week or two this year.
In a few weeks I am headed to Az for Javilina with a different group of friends.
What unit? 20 B is always a good one.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
What unit? 20 B is always a good one.
I do not know, it is near Dripping Springs. 

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
I think that is in unit 24 A near Kearny. East of me. 20B is near Lake Pleasant.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
Oh,  sometime in the middle of October I imagine I will wake up extra early, take a 25 mile drive in the dark, and spend some quality time with my stubby little 350 mag,(Maybe the 375 Ruger this year), maybe a nice walk in the woods together.  Sounds kinda romantical ;)
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »
  I am headed to MI in about 3 weeks for a Russian Boar hunt. I just booked a cow elk hunt for this Fall on a private ranch. I also just put in for the draw for Mule Deer on two CWMU hunts. "cooperative Wildlife Management Units". This is a draw for only a Resident fee, but if you draw on these places, you are limited to when and how long the ranch says you can. For example, I drew a coveted cow elk tag on a ranch that last year had 20 tags, with 100% success. We had bookoo snow last year. This year, they were all still up high, and I had two days to hunt. Two. It snowed the "following" weekend, but I had no access. That's why I found a private ranch I could cow elk hunt from September to end of January for a nominal fee.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
I think that is in unit 24 A near Kearny. East of me. 20B is near Lake Pleasant.
It is inbetween Globe abd Winkelmann and we did not see poop, tracks, chewed nopales, or critter.
I did see a bunch of quail, saw two mountain quail, a bunch of deer, the game warden, and a rancher with a bunch of cows and bulls.  He said 25 years ago there were a few herds of the "Haawgs" running around the hills.
But it was a dry warm week end we ate well and had a good time.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
Been extra warm down this way this year. Kinda makes me dread what's instore for summer.