Author Topic: Anyone here use a Lee Classic Loader?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline oberhaz

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone here use a Lee Classic Loader?
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:23 AM »
I just bought one of these for my 1895G 45-70. I've seen a number of videos of guys using these things & it caught my attention. Also, the price of factory ammo caught my attention too.
I realize it's limited to one gun & I've heard all the stories about primers going off too.

But to any of you how have used these with success, do you have any pointers on getting me started?

I'm not looking to set a any speed records here, just decent ammo to cleanly harvest north east whitetail deer.

Thanks

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: Anyone here use a Lee Classic Loader?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:35:51 AM »
Follow the directions and use a synthetic mallet so you don't ruin the parts. You will be surprised how nicely the ammo will turn out. You might have a few rejects but everyone does when they start out reloading. I wet my feet using one of those with 357 mag and the ammo was as good or better than factory.

I guarantee you that by you loading your own ammo, that will lead to you shooting more and that will lead to you loading more. Eventually you will want/need a faster pace and you'll spring for a press and all it's associated goodies. It happens to everyone.
Congratulations. I never had a primer go off but some have.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
I loaded 30-30 with one for years with perfect satisfaction.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »
I started out with a 22 Hornet, then traded it in for a Remington 788 in 222. I used a Lee Classic on the Hornet and then bought another one for the 222. I had such good luck with the 222 that I soon bought an RCBS  Rock Chucker, that I still use to this day. No problems with primers going off when not wanting to, but I think I only loaded about 100 or so when I figured there had to be a better way. Don't get me wrong, they worked fine, I just graduated rather quickly.

BTW, I still have the Lee Classic loaders on the shelf. I dig out one of them when it is time to punch out some military primers, works well for that!

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
I started with them and still use it for primer removal.
Get a deburring tool also to prepare the case to accept the bullet.
Also a primer pocket cleaner.
The Lee Classic works great until the brass gets long and you need to trim it or replace it (still a lot cheaper than factory ammo)

I used one for a single shot rifle.
Maybe some one else can address this:
Will oberhaz need a crimp in a tube mag lever gun?
If so, may need a hand press and a crimper die also.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »
I loaded for a Marlin 336 chambered for 30-30 with one for the first few years.  Get Lee's manual case trimmer, and dipper set and you really won't need any more, you will eventually want more, but you won't need it
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »
I learned to reload a few years ago on a Lee Classic Loader in 45 Colt. It reloaded pretty accurate ammo. I eventually got a press and gave it to a friend at work to get him into reloading.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
Started with em and save em for setting the bullets in the cases on the ones I have em for.  I load .45-70, .45 LC and .45 acp with these in the past.  Biggest thing that pushed me to go to press was that these neck size only and I had a couple primers go off on me.  I would recommend that someone go with the carbide pistol dies if it's for a caliber they make carbide for.  Always wear safety glasses and ear plugs if you decide to use them.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
That is what I started out using!
The first one was a .308 Win set, and my oldest son and I reloaded up a box of 20 rounds and went to the range and the reloads had a group of 5 shots of .75-1.0 inch at  100 yards which was better than factory loads with same bullet weight and approximately same velocity!
just get you a good hammer either a rubber head or nylon(sp)? head.
A good read on all aspects of using a Lee Classic Reloader can be found at the Beartooth bullet website!! Good read!!
I now have about 8 of these Lee Classic Loaders for a several of my rifles and pistols.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
I also started out using a Lee Loader.  Bought one for .243 and 30-06.  I don't really use them any more for complete re-loading, but I use parts of them for various things.  The dipper is good for scale weighing powder.  The decapper is handy when removing one or two primers.  The tools just come in handy from time to time.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline jager

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
The first loader I ever owned (1960's) was a 16ga Lee loader, referred to now as the "Classic". I had to use a bathroom scales to seat the wad pressure to "specs", but it made good reloads. I found that using candle wax to seal the ends of the shells kept them from "un-flowering".  I also found that as I kept reloading the same "hull", it got harder and harder to function in my "pump" gun because of the "swelling" of the (then "new") plastic hulls.
     Later when I bought my first "long range" rifle in a a .270Win. "bolt", I bought another Lee loading tool. I was in the "service" at the time, and when I would go on "leave" I'd take my "loader" with bullets, brass, pound of powder, nylon hammer, and primers all in a  "shoe box" to load on the "go".  (A lot of "old timers" used the 310 Lyman, or Ideal, tool to do the same thing.)  I had a great time shooting all manner of varmints during the "off season" with my "big game" rifle for little cash outlay!
   The "Classic" Lee loader makes really good ammo if you take your time and make sure you use the brass you've fired from the gun you are loading! I still have a several "kits" in various calibers for travel, if needed, when the SHTF scenario occurs!

Offline Torwe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:45:41 AM »
Like the other fellers I started out using a lee classic in 44 mag over 40 years ago. That first year I got a nice buck using my own handloaded with a lee ammo. Its not the fastest way to reload but makes good ammo.
Life is like a coin you can spend it any way you wish. But you can only spend it once.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
357 Mag, 44 Mag, 20 ga, 12 ga 3" and just for grins 12 ga 3 1/2"
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »
I too got started reloading with a Lee Loader. I now have 4 sets (one is boxed as Herters, mebbe a Lee clone). As far as primer pops, my .44 Magnum set is the worse with 2 or 3 for every 50 (I normally load one box or less at a time with my Lee Loaders), and my 30-30 hasn't popped one yet (a couple boxes loaded). Watch the "floating disc" primer holder and make sure it's free and carefully seat primers and you'll get fewer "pops". I push down on the priming rod to make sure the primer is in contact with the case before I tap with the mallet...

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Let's see, I use them on 30-06, 22-250, 44mag,45acp,380 and getting ready to pick up one for 22 Hornet. I use hand primer, Lee zip trim and Lee  case trimmers.
I have a fairly large hardwood block (6x6x6) with recessed holes in it to receive the base tool and to hold all the other small tools while banging away.
These turn out dandy ammo. Reloaded for a mod70 in 30-06 with amazing results ( if I told you I would be bragging).
If I remember tomorrow I'll takes some pics of my setup. (then will try my first pic post on here).lol

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »
Let's see, I use them on 30-06, 22-250, 44mag,45acp,380 and getting ready to pick up one for 22 Hornet. I use hand primer, Lee zip trim and Lee  case trimmers.
I have a fairly large hardwood block (6x6x6) with recessed holes in it to receive the base tool and to hold all the other small tools while banging away.
These turn out dandy ammo. Reloaded for a mod70 in 30-06 with amazing results ( if I told you I would be bragging).
If I remember tomorrow I'll takes some pics of my setup. (then will try my first pic post on here).lol
Dum dee dum dee dum dee!!
Still waiting on pictures!
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline 52bagman

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
Dum de dum dum, had a hard day at WORK. Just got in and here we go, maybe?

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
Good pictures 52bagman!
Good idea on wooden block for implements, speeds up the process.
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline 52bagman

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
Yup, works pretty good. I double up a towel underneath the block, set it up on the kitchen table ( hand made be me, 1 5/8" white oak planks top of course), turn on Fox news and have at it. Usaully when the wife isn't home.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »
The Lee Loader does a good job, and I sometimes use mine at the range for load workup.  Just read the powder dipping instructions carefully, use only the recommended powders for the dipper, and watch the overall length.

Yours will be of equal quality to those loaded on an expensive setup.

You will however, soon start looking for a press...and dies.....and scale....and primer seater......... ;D ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
I don`t know mehanic!
I like to get on my front porch and start tapping away, neighbors probably think there is a pretty good size woodpecker at work! ;) ;)
Although the last time I was tapping away on some .44 mag reloads had a primer go off!! That got my attention but had on safety goggles so no problem! That is the only caliber that has every popped a primer on me.
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
I had one go off on me too.  That's why I went to the Lee Auto Prime.  Pressing seems a bit safer than pounding.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld