Author Topic: Boarders Away, Vol 2, Firearms in the Age of Fighting sail  (Read 614 times)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Boarders Away, Vol 2, Firearms in the Age of Fighting sail
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
I just found this available on line (good thing since the only available copies are way out of my price range)  on Cheaper than Dirt Web site. 
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Library/BookPage.aspx?bid=FW0003163&sid=FW000000595365&pid=2

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Boarders Away, Vol 2, Firearms in the Age of Fighting sail
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
Thanks, I have the book and can recommend it highly at least as far as the section on swivel guns and howitzers.  I think that part is all within the 76-page "preview" allowed by the site linked.  If anyone gets more than the first 76 pages, let me know and I'll try to figure out what I did wrong.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
While I didn't check every page, the last page is p. 338.  And a random page in the middle also seems to be there.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »
Thanks I tried again today and the whole book downloaded.  I'm curious how CTD was able to do that, I was guessing the book was still in copyright, I must have guessed wrong?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »
There is an interesting Copyright Term table published by Cornell University.  My interpretation of it leads me to believe the copyright holder gave permission if this was done legally as the stated period is "70 years after the death of author. If a work of corporate authorship, 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever expires first." 
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
Thanks, I know the author slightly and am sure neither he nor publisher gave any permission.  The copyright statement in the book is very restrictive.  I think this is an example of the DMCA, the Digital Millinnium Copyright Act "in action."  On the page with the book there's a link with that name at bottom, leading to a form required to be filled out the the copyright holder if he thinks the posted item infringes his copyright.  While I'd like to think CTD got permission, what it looks like is that they slapped the e-book up there with the link to that form and if the publisher should somehow happen to find it, they submit the form and oh well, the site will take it down, no big deal.  Maybe this is all perfectly legal?  Now I have to go read up on the DMCA.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
Here are some words from the Wikip. article on the DMCA which don't fully explain anything, but lead me to believe I'm looking in the right area:

Takedown Notice
The DMCA has been criticized for making it too hard for copyright owners to protect their rights. Owners of "community based" infringing websites need only take down infringing content to avoid all liability. This has led to the business model of encouraging anonymous individuals to upload copyright violations while the site owners profit from advertising or a sales percentage on pirated eBooks.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »
Well, I have enjoyed reading what I could online  (not the clearest view) while trying to find an affordable copy...  Amazon is not affordable. 
Googling the Vol 2 title led me on a lot of false leads...  BEWARE!  Many book sellers appear to have a copy of Vol 2 which they advertize but when you go to order, Volume 1 is substituted on the form.  I didn't catch it & ended up with a "as new" copy of Volume 1 this way.  I decided to keep it as it has quite a bit on small firearms & sea battles from aloft.  A very neglected part of history.   
I have confirmed by phone a copy of Vol 2.  A bit pricy but well below the A price...  and have sent my CC number.  Hope to recieve my copy by snail mail in due course. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43:22 AM »
That's an incredible find, flagman1776. When I first opened the link, I was very surprised to find that I could save/copy the entire book. Cannonmn's got to be right in thinking that this link isn't being sanctioned by the author or publisher of the book. CTD's staff either has a lot of chutzpah, or little in the way of copyright smarts.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
I've been watching the tracking on the parcel with Volume 2 for several days.  Then the snow storm & the mail person couldn't get to us.  Storms gone, it arrived today.  Correct book, new sealed copy for a decent price.  No longer sealed!    :)