Author Topic: Crimp dies for handguns?  (Read 313 times)

Offline jays375

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Crimp dies for handguns?
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
Been looking at crimp dies for my handgun ammo.The one I need one for the most is 460 S&W.The two I have been looking at is the Redding and the Lee.Now the Redding offers a profile crimp.Which I was told it was like half roll and squeeze.The Lee offers a rolled type crimp.Which they do offer a 45 caliber die.Price isn't the issue I just want the best possible crimp.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Crimp dies for handguns?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
Of the 2 dies , I like the Lee better , it is much more forgiving as far as case OL goes and that results in a better all around crimp round to round .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline noylj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
In .38 Special and .357 Magnum, the Redding and the Lee are the best. However, the Redding is a real step up from the Lee and both leave other roll crimp dies in the dust.
If you have a factory round, use that to set your crimp.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »
 Personally I have never been left wanting more from my Redding or RCBS seater dies crimp. Where needed, a good firm roll crimp provided consistent bullet pull, good powder burn and firm bullet retention where needed. But the crimp is just part of good bullet retention. Properly set up dies and properly sized expander ball are also important parts many never  look at or even think of.

IMHO, the Lee Factory Crimp Die is a cure to a non existant problem. As a matter of fact in some cases and if improperly applied, creates problems. many like it mostly because they have been taken in by the hype or don't know the difference. Seeing factory Winchester loadings in the past, with a similar looking crimp, did not help any... ::)

What are you having problems with or what do you looking to accomplish?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.