Author Topic: Weaver Scopes - How are they now days?  (Read 2957 times)

Offline shinjin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
Weaver Scopes - How are they now days?
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
Used weaver growing up then switched to more expensive Leupolds and Nikons. I saw a good deal on a Weaver 15 X and was wondering if their quality is still making them worth the money?

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Weaver Scopes - How are they now days?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
I am impressed with them.  I have a classic V 4x14x40 and classic rimfire 3x9AO.  I won't hesitate to buy another.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
i have one and wish i had more.
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
For a while I was like you and went for Leupold. 
Later I found the Weaver V9, V7, K4.
I look through the Leupold 3-9X40 Var X II and through the V9 (3-9X38) and through the K4 and my 4X  really see no difference between the brands in clearity and light gathering.  I think the Weaver K and V series are the equal to the Var X II series for 75 to 80% the price.
So far I have V9's on a my  Marlin 17HMR, My Ruger 77/22H in 22 Hornet, CZ 527 in 223.
I have a V7 (2.5-7X 32) on a T/C carbine in 223. 
I have a fixed power K4 (4X 38) on an H&R ultra varmint in 22 mag.
And then 2 more Grand Slams - 4.5-14 X40AO  on my 338 and a 6-24X42 AO on my M700 SPS varmint in 223.

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »
I need a high power variable for a P-Dawg shoot coming up. Right now a Millet ?-18x40 sits on my 22-250. I wonder if I have enough scope. Hard to tell in Lousiana when I can shoot 500 on clear (humid as dickens) days with little problem (and some times with accuracy - but that ain't the scope) if my scope will work in Colorado's different conditions.

We shot 300 to 500 yards regularlly last year and the Leupold 24X sure was nice. It helped me push that 223 AR further than it normally would go, especially with the hurricane force crosswinds we enjoyed. My face looked like I'd been sandblasted.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:08:22 AM »
have a couple of Super Slam type Weavers.......very very  satisfied with them

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »

Hey shinjin:
  I too have been wondering about the modern Weavers. I bought 2 scopes in 1967, Weavers, my first scopes. One was a c6 for a 22mag and a V9 for my 30-06, both worked OK. I have owned serveral of the older weavers, but none of the newer ones. Then I wanted better and got in to redfields until the 80's, Then Leupold. I have never been dissatisfied with one of them (Leupold) I have tried some other brands at different price ranges but Burris was the only one I liked almost as good as a Leupold. For the money I don't know of a better scope than Leupold, JMHO>
  I have considered buying Weaver or Redfield since they are now being produced but haven't had the nerve to buy a new one, I am anxious to hear more from the GB Boys because I cannot trust the gun mag. boys to tell it straight. I'm not knocking anyone for their choices and do not want to offend anyone here with my comments, I just need more info.
  thanks
  HM

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »
Top models of weavers are made in Japan by Light Optical Works AKA LOW.  LOW has a stellar reputation for quality optics/internals.  Somewhere I read this company also makes the better Vortex and Bushnell scopes too.  Pretty sure the Weaver 40/44 scopes are made in Philippines and that LOW may have an interest in or ownership of this plant.  Unlike all other Weaver model scopes, Kaspa line is made in China and in my humble, minor, sheer guessing and etc., opinion, Weaver introduced the Kaspas to compete against scopes like the Redfield Revolutions and etc.

Offline sniper2u00

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »
I own more Weaver's than any other scope brand and am very pleased with them :) 3-4 V16's,1-Classic Extreme 2.5x10 and 1-Grandslam 6x20. The Grandslam was mid $300. range and compares optically(to my eye's) to my Zeiss Conquest or Burris Signature Select! The only draw back is the front AO and not the new side focus. The V16's for the mid $200 range are nice but not at the same level. When I target shoot from a bench @ 200yd. I use a 1/2in. orange dot and the G.S. is Cristal clear and I can't tell the difference from it to the Zeiss! The V16 on the other hand is not bad but the dot has just a bit of fuzz around the edge that i cant get into focus.That said they are both a nice value depending what you want them for.I just picked up two Minox ZA5 4-20's(good deal at Camraland) to try but will not get the chance for a good comparison until spring.They look good out of the box! I hope they stack up ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »
Top models of weavers are made in Japan by Light Optical Works AKA LOW.  LOW has a stellar reputation for quality optics/internals.  Somewhere I read this company also makes the better Vortex and Bushnell scopes too. 

Every LOW made scope I've had has been excellent, including my two newer Weavers (4x shotgun and V24). LOW also makes the Clearidge scopes.

Can't say the V24 is as clear as my Leupold Vari-X III M1 on highest power setting, but the Weaver only costs a fraction of the Leupold.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline animal

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43:19 AM »
I have an old Weaver 1.5 x 4 power made in USA. Have Leupolds, a Burris, Nikons, Bushnells a newer Redfield. Needed a compact scope for my Marlin 44 mag and went with a Weaver V 1 x 3,made in Japan. I really like it and am about to order a Weaver VR 2 x 7 rimfire scope for my Ruger 77/22. The Weavers are stout clear optics.
Animal

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 04:33:01 AM »
My son's experience with Weaver isn't all that good. I bought him a 2x10 scope in '91. The internals went bad a couple of years ago and the "new" Weaver wouldn't honor the warranty. Weaver may make good scopes but the warranty is only good while it's owned by the same company you bought it from. ???
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
Weaver 15X?   If its a KT15 Target I've had a bunch of them.    Got very good and reliable service from them and preferred them on some of my long range predator and varmint rigs.   Still have some of my old classic steel Weaver scopes, and a V-16 Target that's about a dozen years old.   Still have them for good reason, they are all very good and reliable scopes for the dollar spent.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 07:02:06 AM »
8 V-16's and counting.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
only one i have is a 1x3. Its a good little scope. Much better then the old weaver stuff. Id say opticaly its everything my 1x4 luepold vx2 is. Less eye relief though.
blue lives matter

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
Shot my weaver. Had terrible time but I think its my mounts. Got to check them for tightness again.
Only complaint was the ring that indicates clicks on side came off, unglued.

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »
I bought a used Ruger No. 1 RSI in 7x57 made in 1982.  The rifle had a Weaver V4.5 on it that I really didn't want but the rifle was priced cheap so it was like getting a free scope.  I thought I would put a Leupold on it but after I received the rifle and looked through the scope, I thought, this old scope is pretty cool.  Glass is perfect and a couple hundred rounds fired later, its my favorite scope.  I love the post recticle.  Never loses it's zero.  I have since picked up two more old weavers to put on a vintage 22 rifle and an old mauser.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline 6x6 elk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
I have the old V9-ll from1978. I had noticed particles on the internal part of the lens and some internal fogginess. I sent the scope to a company out of El Paso  TX and for $69 had it working like new. I think they are out of buisness as  of last year, but they did a nice job on the scope. They even re-highlighted the numbers on the power knob that had faded with time. The new Weaver company would not warranty  the old Weaver products.