Author Topic: ordering extra barrels from Ilion is a little different  (Read 3913 times)

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
ordering extra barrels from Ilion is a little different
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
I have wanted a 35 Rem since forever, as well as a 250 Savage. I finally decided that the only thing that the 250 has and the 243 doesn't is nostalgia and unavailability. So I am ordering  35 Rem and  243 Win barrels. Good thing I reread the web pages before I just put the order form in the box with my receiver and stock and taped it up and sent it. This is definitely a "big company (Remington) thing": I have to get a "return authorization number" and put it on the outside of the box and a copy of the RA form inside the box. They will email me the form - in 48 to 72 hours ! After 24 hours I called them back just to make sure they had my email address right.
Thanks to Brian56 for verifying that the 35 Rem is still in stock (Tim, it's been a year since you first posted "new barrels available", I can't believe it !). The customer service rep made no comment when I gave her the 35 Rem part number, like she sold them all the time.
Anyway, everything changes, and this is no different. Hopefully it will all come together by the weekend so I can ship it then. Since my accident, I have no vehicle, so on Saturdays my fiancé takes me to town to do my errands. I hope she doesn't get too curious about what I am sending to who and why...haha! Just kidding, we're in love  ;D  !

Offline shinjin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
Re: ordering extra barrels from Ilion is a little different
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:06:53 AM »
What are they charging for barrels now?

I got a yearning to spend some of my eranings.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:54 AM »
Thanks to Brian56 for verifying that the 35 Rem is still in stock (Tim, it's been a year since you first posted "new barrels available"

It's very good to hear the 35 rem barrels are Avalible! I really want a complete gun, but if I cannot find one and as much as I dislike the mirigmaraul you have to go thru this may be an option for me as well.

Good luck with yours!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Klahtax

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
I just called them last week and was told that they were not available. The run date was over long ago. Asked if I paid extra for them to chamber would they and rep. still said no. Who was the rep. that said you can still get a 35 Remington barrel. I want one bad. Thanks

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
I was told by Brian last week that .35 barrels were available.
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »
I just called them last week and was told that they were not available. The run date was over long ago. Asked if I paid extra for them to chamber would they and rep. still said no. Who was the rep. that said you can still get a 35 Remington barrel. I want one bad. Thanks
It's quite a sorry state that CS is so clueless but it's COMMON! It's pathetic some of the miss information coming out of members conversations with them! Total incompiance!!

BUT, we all have a "in" with Brian56. He is from Remington and frequents this board. He is a huge help to all of us. If he says they have them, they have them!! Trust me when I tell you DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING CS TELLS YOU!!! If in doubt, PM Brian56!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
What CW said!!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
First of all, to Shinjin: 35 Rem barrels are $96, plus shipping and fitting. Second, I got the part number from the stickies at the beginning of this board. It's from quickdtoo and titled something about Talo barrels available. Sorry to take so long to answer !
When I gave the lady at H&R that part number, she just entered it on my order, the computer had no problem with it. It's been 2 weeks now; first week was shipping, it's been in NY for a week. I'm not nervous like I was the first time I sent them my receiver, because it all worked out fine. We will see how it works out this time.

Buying barrels isn't that simple or cheap. Let's see, I ordered a 35 Rem and a 243 Win, so I need brass and bullets for both, dies for both, a scope for one and rings for both...

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »
when they send you a work autorization form make sure they get it with in 5 days .call make sure they got it mine got lost so i gave them permission on the phone to ok work and price no big deal.they are very good what they do.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »
Well, today I got the eagerly anticipated email from Remington, saying "the repairman is in the process of repairing my firearm". The email actually had a link to the "Repairs" page on the Remington website, which is where the message was.
Today is 31 Jan, and I got the delivery confirmation on the 20th, and I shipped it on the 14th. So, 5 days to get it to Ilion, and 11 days for it to go from the receiving department to the repairman's bench. I like the update, this way I'm not just wondering what's happening.
I will keep this thread updated, so if you are considering sending your Handi in for a new barrel, you'll at least know what to expect currently...more or less ! Some people have nightmare stories, but so far my experience has been good. This is the second time I've sent it in; the first time went fine and was pretty quick.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »
I am watching this... I dont "want to" send in for a 35 Rem barrel... but......

I have NOT had a chance to call the dealers yet... busy at work... Just getting home now. ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline wralyn

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Today is 31 Jan, and I got the delivery confirmation on the 20th, and I shipped it on the 14th.

Did you ship with or without the stock? I know the unofficial word is that it isn't needed, but I'm always concerned by not following the directions completely. Then again, I'm always concerned when my guns get scratched up.

Just wondering.

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
Watkibe, what will you have total in the .35 Rem. I am looking for one also and having zero results.
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 05:18:54 AM »

Did you ship with or without the stock? I know the unofficial word is that it isn't needed, but I'm always concerned by not following the directions completely. Then again, I'm always concerned when my guns get scratched up.

Just wondering.

The easy options are  send it without the stock set and order a new stock set, or buy a cheap(already scratched up) pallet wood set to send with it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
I shipped it with the synthetic buttstock attached and the fore end. They can't hurt that too badly, and when they test, maybe test fire, it, it will be faster if the stock is in place, plus the results will be based on what I will be shooting, that is my stock.
The barrel is $96, labor is $25, and handling and return shipping is $19, for a total of $140. Here in WA state we have 8% sales tax, which I am being charged also, so I figure $150. The shipping is a good deal, I spent $28 to send it insured Priority Mail with delivery confirmation.
But in for a penny, in for a pound; dies, brass, bullets and length trim gage for 1 barrel come to about $150 also ! That doesn't count powder and primers I already have. My 8-gun security cabinet already has more than 10 guns in it; when my Handi comes back with 2 more barrels, well holy cow, now I need to get another gun cabinet !
But it's worth it; this is my hobby, I love it, and I am excited to have 2 more "rifles" to shoot, and 2 more cartridges to handload for.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 05:23:29 AM »
I would also like a .35 rem!  But I think when I am ready, I'll just pick up an easy to get .357 mag barrel on the classifieds here, then ream it to .35 rem.  I'll have to remark the barrel, but that will be fine.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »
Ive been watching for one of those easy to get .357 barrels for a while now, must have missed them.
Handi rifles
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »
Ive been watching for one of those easy to get .357 barrels for a while now, must have missed them.

LOL. Not so easy. It pop up with regularity!! ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline JRSherbundy

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
I had good luck. I sent my receiver on Jan 17, priority mail and had a new .44 Mag (20" blue) back in my hands on Jan 31.  I called H&R for a "number" and the guy took all of my info, what I wanted, etc. and e-mailed me the order form to include in my package to them. They even included an address label. I don't know how it shoots, I still need to start the break-in process.  The chamber looks to be properly centered on the barrel.

Jim

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
Today is 3 Feb 2012, and I got the email from Remington today saying my gun had been shipped, and is due here by the end of the day on the 9th. Yeehaw !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »
Today is 3 Feb 2012, and I got the email from Remington today saying my gun had been shipped, and is due here by the end of the day on the 9th. Yeehaw !

Great news!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »
Thanks, CW ! Even better news, today (9 Feb) UPS tracking says that my package from H&R/Remington has arrived at my mail box store at 10:35 AM.
So, Jan 11 to Feb 9 is...2 days under a month ? I guess it's 29 days. They charged my card a few dollars less than they quoted, far better than the alternative, eh ?
Can't wait to get them in hand. I don't want to order ammo loading components and tools until I actually have the barrels here.
I'm looking forward to this !
@ 44 Man: I have a 357 Mag barrel I reamed to 357 Maxi, and considered having it further reamed to 35 Rem, but didn't. $100 to ream plus S&H could equal the cost of a factory barrel; further, handguns and rifle barrels have different bore sizes: handgun = 0.357", rifles = 0.35". Besides, I have grown fond of the Maxi cartridge, and popping off a few 357 mag rounds once in a while is a gas too. CW, based on my 2 encounters with the factory, I encourage you to get the barrel you want !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 02:09:03 AM »
Mornin man,

Thru the gratiousness efforts of two members here, I also now have a 35 Rem barrel!!  I had to remove about .010 from the shelf but afterwards it's as tight as any I have fit.

Best of luck with yours!!

BTW good choice NOT to sacrafice the maxi for a Rem. would not have been a good exchange. The maxi will do everything the Remington will when factory loaded and still shoot 38's and reg magnums as well!  Now having both is the only true option! Now you can load to Tim's super 35 levels and envoy 356/8 ballistics with 200/220 bullets!!

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
I just checked Wikipedia and they say the bullet dia for the .35 Rem is .357.  I haven't checked a reloading site, this was just quicker.  So I could still do the project, or find a barrel.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »
CW: Thanks for the cheering section and moral support, lol. Right on that you have a 35 Rem barrel now, by I assume, "alternate sources". Congratulations !
44MAN: H&H1871 does not show 35 Rem barrels on their "Barrel Accessory Program" page. ("click Contact us, click barrel accessory program, and there is a list of what they will admit they have.) I ONLY FOUND OUT HERE on GBO, FROM TIM'S STICKY, AND THEN BY PM-ING BRIAN56. If you really want a 357 mag barrel, just keep calling until they say they have it, and then request a SR (service request) and submit it with your frame and stocks as fast as you can.
FINALLY:  HUGE THANKS TO BRIAN 56 !!! REM AND H&R PROBABLY DON'T REALIZE HOW VALUABLE AN EMPLOYEE THEY HAVE IN YOU, BUT WE HERE AT GBO DO !!! I HOPE HE WHO SIGNS YOUR PAYCHECK REALIZES IT SOON, AND GIVES YOU A BIG RAISE !

I guess I need to just say it outright: today I got my Handi back with the 35 Rem barrel installed, and the 243 barrel carefully packed with it. A cursory inspection reveals no problems. A day tomorrow cleaning and mounting scopes will give some impressions until I can gather components and brew some ammo. So, from 6 Jan to 10 Feb start to finish. Praise God from whom all blessings flow !

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
Amen!  Congrats!  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
good things happen every day even as messed up as they are ;D

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
I got out to the shop today and unpacked my new barrels. They are beautiful and have been fired but not cleaned, proof I guess, of a test fire. They fit really well and are scratch free.
I don't have any 35 Rem or 243 Win ammo yet, but I wanted to shoot my handi anyway, so I tried to put on my old 223 barrel what in the world?!? It wouldn't lock up !! I tried my 357 Rem barrel, same dang thing ! Tim thinks they changed the barrel latch without telling me. They should have called and had me send them the other barrels while they had the receiver and could fix it. Tim says "this has happened before". The invoice line "work done" is written in some kind of "hybrid English/Computerese code" that is unreadable, so I don't now if that's what they really did or not.
I have PMed Brian67 (poor guy) for his advice. I do foresee being without my handi and all 4 barrels for the next month. I sure hope they send me a prepaid shipping label !
I'm not really mad at H&R or Remington (they installed the barrels very nicely, yes?) but I am not happy. CRAP !

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
Brian56 PMed me. He said the barrel latch broke during a "proof test". A new latch was installed, and the new barrels were fitted to it. The repair guy doing it didn't have the info that I have more barrels; he should have had it, so he could call me and have me send then in to be fitted to the new barrel latch.
I will call Gardener tomorrow and ask for a number and a prepaid shipping label. Brian says fitting doesn't take long, so I will ship it out again ASAP and see what happens this time !

THANKS AGAIN TO BRIAN56 !!!!!

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Wow. Sorry to hear it has to go back Again, Watkibe.
Not to sound Negative, or harsh toward Remington, but I managed a few gun departments for about 12 years. Remington seemed to take longer and have more general issues when guns went back to their repair department than most of the other brands. I wondered how Remington would handle the Accessory Bbl program, and have held off because of it. Once again, I really do Not mean to sound like a Remington basher. I am not. In fact, the old model 788's were one of my Favorite rifles Ever. I am just goad to hear a report from someone on the process since Remington has it now. :)
Thanks for the info and updates Watkibe! :)
I like BIG Boolits.