Author Topic: Can you rate these scope manufacturers for me??  (Read 1297 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Can you rate these scope manufacturers for me??
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
I don't know too muchabout the different optics and there quality.
I been browsing for a few new scopes for my hunting rifles.  I would like to upgrade what i have now.  I really like having the turret with the BDC option adjustable "Bullet Drop Compisation"  my two scopes that have it they go from either 100yds or 150yds  and adjust to 500yds with no error once i set the range/distance.  I think it builds my confidence maybe by having it just incase i ever get that shot of a lifetime at a trophy.
Millet long range tactical scope with BDC.  model BK81007   $400+ on sale list $800.
bushnell banner scope with the BDC also for $124
Tru-Glo scopes???
For my 308 saiga w/22'' barrel its a russian NDZ (kalinka) with a 3 post german style lens, 1000 meter, with BDC lighted rect,  for $399 Does anyone have any experience with the russian optics?? It says there using this scope today in there military.
Thank's, CZY

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
Re: Can you rate these scope manufacturers for me??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
I have the Russian scope on my .308 Saiga. The reticle is not self-centering, and it really bothers me when I look through a scope and the point of aim is not centered in the optic. So far its been a good scope, I have not seen any drift in point-of-aim...But since getting my FN FAL I have not shot my Saiga in sveral years.

I had the Bushnell Banner with BDC on both my Winchester M70 .223 Extra-Grade and my Ruger M77 .270...I have noticed drift in the point of aim with both scopes and it did cost me a beautiful bull elk and an OMG!! deer with my Ruger. The Banner that was on the Winchester 70 didn't seem to drift as much, and hey it only cost me a few coyotes or prairie dogs at any rate. I think that its the difference in recoil between the two rifles as the mounts were solid each time that I notice the drift.

The Ruger now Sports a Leupold and I'll be experimenting with a set of Swift Scopes this spring on the Winchester and two other rifles.

I hope that that helps.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:41:33 AM »
I think that you are going to find yourself somewhat disappointed if you started cranking on the elevation and windage adjustment knobs for the scopes you listed.  You know why some scopes cost a lot more?  They don't break when you crank on them.  As someone who has had a couple of Bushnell Banners grenade on him (on .22's no less), I can't recommend that line to anyone wanting anything other than a paperweight.

No experience with the Russian glass. 

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 03:32:16 AM »
Millet might be the only one I'd try. I've also heard some good things about Konus and they're etched reticles.
Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but these would all be better choices if you're willing to go up to $400 or so.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-matte-elite-tactical-5-15x40-argon-ao-mildot-riflescope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-6-24x40-elite-ao-semi-target-turrets-multi-x-riflescope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-3-12x42sf-nikoplex-bdc-riflescope-8488-8489.html
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
.....As someone who has had a couple of Bushnell Banners grenade on him (on .22's no less), I can't recommend that line to anyone wanting anything other than a paperweight.

Yes...I'll second that as well.

I use Simmons 3-9 Pro-Hunters on my .22's. Still not a premium brand scope, but the problems that I was having with the Bushnell product lines went away when I made the switch.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »
out of the three id rate the millet as fair, the bushenell as poor and the truglo as "why the hell did i waste my money"
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »
I realize the Leupolds are a higher price point if purchased new. But look for VXII or better used and you will be very happy. Don't worry about function, only watch looks (if important to you) as warenty on the scope is just that. ON THE SCOPE, NOT WHO OWNS IT. But it does not cover cosmetics.

Something that I read long ago, and has stuck in my brain, Leupolds is the cheapest scope I can "afford". Afford is key word here cause its not just a monitary term. We invest allot in this shooting hunting we all love. Let's face it 90+% of us do not need the meat to survive. We enjoy it and hunt because we love the outdoors, hunting and shooting. Why would you invest in junk equiptment??? I mean do you enjoy breakdowns or want to settle for just good enough? Again the whole idea is to enjoy yourself, so invest in that enjoyment and buy the best you can afford. In the ln the long run it will be cheaper and your enjoyment much improved.

I'll get off my soap box now...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »
Good advice CW. Bottom line-you get what you pay for with optics.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
...Something that I read long ago, and has stuck in my brain, Leupolds is the cheapest scope I can "afford". Afford is key word here cause its not just a monitary term. We invest allot in this shooting hunting we all love. Let's face it 90 % of us do not need the meat to survive. We enjoy it and hunt because we love the outdoors, hunting and shooting. Why would you invest in junk equiptment??? I mean do you enjoy breakdowns or want to settle for just good enough? Again the whole idea is to enjoy yourself, so invest in that enjoyment and buy the best you can afford. In the ln the long run it will be cheaper and your enjoyment much improved.

I'll get off my soap box now...

CW

Exactly, and I agree except that Leupold is not the last word in scopes by any means IMO.   There are lots of excellent models available for whatever your use of it will be, some that are more expensive, some less expensive than Leupold's.    While I have always been a fan of Leupold rifle scopes, I've had many others that were as good or better, and in certain uses preferred over the Leupold's.    Cost hasn't mattered to me for decades, I bought what I considered the best for my use for it regardless of the price tag on it.   I base my buys on past experience with a model or brand... its quality, reliability and warranty (although I've never sent a scope back for warranty).   
As it happens, the only scope I "blew up" with more recoil than it could take was a handgun scope, and it was a Leupold.

What constitutes a good scope is in the eye of the beholder, literally.   What works for them and their circumstances, and most importantly which one they have the most confidence with is the best choice for them.
FWIW

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Greg B.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
 I have been using Leupold scopes since 1977 and have had no problems. Now I want a spotting scope and am saving up for another one.

Gewg B.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 04:46:15 AM »
Greg im a big fan of leupold scopes. So much so that the last time i bought a spotting scope i picked up a leupold wind river. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on a wind river spotter. I think the old 50 dollar simons i had did a better job of seeing bullet holes in a target. If you want a leupold spotter save up and get a gold ring model.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
Ladobe,

You are correct, Leupold is not the end all in scopes. I also agree 110% with some of your other comments.
" I base my buys on past experience with a model or brand... its quality, reliability and warranty "
"What constitutes a good scope is in the eye of the beholder, literally.   What works for them and their circumstances, and most importantly which one they have the most confidence with is the best choice for them."

For my money, Leupold is the cheapest scope I can afford! ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:51:42 AM »
1911crazy - as a long time member with 4k posts I feel I should be going to you for advice of this nature. None of your 3 choices would hit my OK to use rating scale unless it was a rimfire for a young person and then the Bushnell might work. Weaver, Leupold or Vortex makes scopes in the $200 to $400 dollar (on sale) range that would make the cut for a hunting rifle application. A 2x7 or 3x9 would be the go to lower cost (not quality) scope for a general hunting rifle.

Offline DannoBoone

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
Another thing to think about..........a bad mounting job can ruin a $3000 scope just
as it can a $99 scope.

If the rings are not straight and true, and bind on the tube of the scope, it will be a
matter of time before said scope is trashed.

A good solid one-piece steel mount, i.e., Farrell, along with either Burris Signature
rings or correctly lapping the rings will do wonders for any scope. Bedding the mount
is also a very good idea.
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
+1