Author Topic: 444 Stalker Report  (Read 781 times)

Offline Flashole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
444 Stalker Report
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
Finally got a chance to play with my new Christmas present.   I made it to the range with 6 handloads and on top of the Stalker sat a used 1.75x4 Bushnell.  I have several of these on my lever actions.  I really like the reticule,  I think it is called a circleplex.  The only issue I have ever had was on my Ruger 44mag lever gun.  Must be something about that Sharp recoil that has damaged two.  I thought I had ditched both and there was a good on I took off the 454 Puma.
I knew I was wrong when the first to FTX were 5 inches low but close together.  They would only come up about two inches.   I thought about just packing it in and waiting tell I could get a new scope.  The wind was blowing a little and this rang uses wire on some areas to attach targets.  I was on one of those stations.

I decided to stay and see if I could get any thing to group.  Other  than every thing being a little low I was going to do my best.   I have 444 in a mod. 94 Win.  I love the gun but heavy loads will spoil the fun at about 30 rounds.
I did not try all my loads  but Stalker was much easier on the shoulder and considering this should have been a disaster trip I would say that this gun shows promise.

My question now is what type of scope should I put on this gun?
=FLASH=

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
Re: 444 Stalker Report
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
Here is the second picture.  Some reason I could not get both to post
=FLASH=

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
Flashole
I shot my .444 Stalker today with a cross wind at 15-20 mph. The first three shot group with 300gr. XTP's was 1" with two in the same hole. The second group with 355 BTB's the last two shots cut each other. The first shot I shot one handed becuse the powder I was using was not listed, but all was fine. Not enough powder in the XTP's they only chronyed 1000fps. The AV of the 355's was 1560fps. This gun has the very best recoil pad for a factory gun that I've ever had. I could shoot those heavy 355's all day long. This gun will be very accurate. Scope I have a 3x9x40 Redfield Revolution with Accu-Trac and the circle X-like it.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »
Looks like these guns a pretty good shooters.  Mine liked the heavy cast load.  When I shot the one good group the wind slowed down and that meant the targets stopped moving.  I'm going to take a look at that Redfield  you have.  My eyes are getting pretty tired and 4x on my Bushnell is good in the field but comes up a little short at the range. 
Glad to hear that there are some other guys out there with this rifle.  The only place I found to make this purchase was this was on line.  A few local guns stores did not have any Stalkers and one did not even know CVA was making center fire rifles.  Academy had it listed on line but when I showed up to take a look their network did not show any in Texas.

=FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline ferg7909

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
I have a stalker in 35 whelen and have it topped with a bushnell xlt 3x9x40 and love it. I sighted mine in on a windy day and had to shoot in between gust but managed 1.5" groups. It sounds like a new scope is all you need.

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:39 AM »

For a scope, you just can't beat a good used Leupold Vari-X II in 2x7.   I generally pay about $150 for these at gunshows.  I have four, and never had a problem with any of them.  They are sleek and small are great for putting on a lever action.

After years of use, one of them developed an issue when the adjustment ring became very hard to turn.   I sent it back to Leupold asking for repair. They repaired it for FREE and returned it to me withing 10 days.

There is just no sense in fooling around with cheap scopes that break under recoil, when there are so many good used Leupolds out there.

Mannyrock