Author Topic: Proper loading procedure  (Read 523 times)

Offline Kjosefy

• Trade Count: (0)
Proper loading procedure
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:51:23 AM »
where would one find the Proper loading procedure for a signal cannon & one with a projectile? i have looked and found a few list but where is the one that is considered gospel? their may be no suck thing like i know different pepole use differant things for wadding for signal cannons like hot dog buns which i am going to try next time i am tired of stomping out small pieces of cotten shirts.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
Re: Proper loading procedure
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:02:48 AM »
Ask the maker of your guns what he recommends or his past customers use, he may or may not tell you because of the legal ramifications if something went wrong, that's what I did besides there is information available on the top of this website. I'm also wondering if a wad is necessary, the maker of my gun told me not to use any for noise.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:51 AM »
Foll cartridge and a snug fitting card wad are all that is needed.  Bread becomes a projectile and can break things.

For other cannons you will find the loading procedures on the American Artillery Association website.  http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:35 AM »
Loading is pretty standard.  Make a former & form up double wraps of HD Alum foil into a premeasured cartridge.   
For a wad (if any, some places do not allow any), I prefer to use a small amount of fresh vegitation (lawn grass clippings or sea weed) which is natural to the location...  a loose "ball" no larger than the bore. 
A lot of the foil cartidge is recovered with the worm...  "Search the piece!" (with the worm) is the first command of the firing sequence.  We drop any foil recovered in front of the gun to be disposed of later.  Sponsers really don't like to see litter left behind. 

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:46:25 AM »
Double D, thanks for posting that information! Everyone should read and make a copy...I book marked it. Excellent info! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline brass cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
If you use the proper powder, you don't need any wadding to get a good report.  I use  re-enactor powder in musket, rifle and cannon for blanks only with excellent results.  However, re-enactor cannot be used for live fire, it's too hot. For Boy Scout events which permit blanks only,  wadding is also prohiibited.  For my 3 pndr, 4 pndr cannons,  Gilpin  and Mtn howitzer and Coehorn Mortar, I use 4 to 5 oz of Re-enactor powder poured into formed aluminum foil cups.  2 oz in my King howitzer. The charges work very well, no wadding needed